What winter tire do you have? Like it?

I still have the Khumo's on mine. They seem to do fine in the snow for me. But then again the snow has not stayed on the ground for long and I have AWD. Plus I have never had snow tires. Hopefully some one else can chime in with more expierence.

I have an R/T AWD which I think came with the Khumo's as well and I think they are great in the snow. Had a storm 3 weeks were we got 11 inches and I was driving all over in, great traction, I had no problems getting around, the car did slide a little bit put the ESP kicked right in and it was smooth sailing.

Although the 19" Kuhmo's handle very well in wet conditions, we can't survive our roads here w/o winter tires.

I put a set of 17" wheels on with Blizzaks (not studded) and am more than happy. I can motor around in 6" of anything with no troubles. After 10 years in a Suburban, I'm very impressed with how the AWD (with winters) handles.

Hakks' are great tires, Hankooks too.

I have Firestone Winter Force UV size 215/70/16 on aftermarket steelies. Rims are from http://www.consumerstire.com/Home.html 4 locations in the Greater Toronto Area. Rims were $70 each plus taxes. Fits perfectly. Make sure you tell them it's for a Journey. Can't remember the part # but I find it if someone wants it. Tires were $120 each from K & B Tires & Mags Inc. 91 Anderson, Markham, ON L6E 1A5. Telephone : 905-472-5800. Installed and balanced. Costed me around $860 for the complete package. Skipped the TPMS but strange thing the low pressure light on the dash never came on. Tires work great. The original Hankooks are crap for snow.

• 5 months later...
What does anybody replace for the 19" tires? I'm seriously looking into winter tires cause I'm scared to death of what these kumho's are going to do

The Kumhos handled the snowfall in Western NY this past winter pretty well. The tires had good bite and coupled with the AWD, handled better than I expected. I was actually more worried about the low profile rims rahter than the tires themselves. The only issue I had was a bit of shimmy when ice built up in the rims.

I have just shy of 36,000 miles and i'm just about at the wearbars right now and they are still performing well.

What does anybody replace for the 19" tires? I'm seriously looking into winter tires cause I'm scared to death of what these kumho's are going to do

Good luck with that, lol. 19" snows are about impossible to find. No one makes them. I went to 17" wheels for winter use with Blizzaks.

Look for 255/50/19 tires (original tire size is 225/55/19). Your speedometer reading will be 1% too slow... not so bad. A reading difference under 3% is ok.

You can also look for 245/50/19. Speedometer reading will be 0.3% too fast, but you have less choice in this size.

• 2 months later...

I see everyone has changed tire size for winters, some are different than others. I guess that depends on what tire dealer you have gone to. I too am looking to change tires for the winter and have a few quotes from different tire dealers. Some have said I could put on a 235/55/19 or change the wheel size to 17's (with a 5 on 5 wheel) and use 225/65/17 (.2 under) or 235/65/17 (.3 over). I really don't think I am going to spend the extra to get the TMP's so I'll have to put up with the light on the dash during the winter. I have found a few different brands to fit like the Toyo Observe GO2 (which I have on our Gr. Caravan, they're awesome), the Hankooks WR11's, and then there is a Wintercat XT (which I have on my Truck but in the LT version of SST).

Anyone happy or un-happy with the different tire size they have?

I got my 2010 R/T AWD that came with the Kuhmo All Seasons and promptly had ordered a set of 17" blizzaks and aftermarket alloy wheels for the car. I have put them on and love the Blizzaks. I have had them on my 06 Magnum R/T AWD and they made a huge difference from the factory all seasons. My tire guy told me IF he could find any 19" winters for the Journey, they would come in at least around $1,500.00 !! I went to tirerack.com and got everything from them. They were very good to deal with - all in it was $1,445.00 (tires, wheels, new lug nuts, mounting & balancing of tires, and tire pressure monitor sensor), oh and delivery too.

While the all seasons do a good job, they can't help you when stopping or you start to slide on ice. The rubber compound of the winter tire is designed for the cold temps. My advise, invest in the winter tires.

Cheers

Mark

PS - this was 2 weeks ago ! Now the snow is all melted and gone !

post-1120-1256320772_thumb.jpg

For those that dropped tire size from a 19 inch to 17's, did you have trouble finding steel wheels, where did you find them, did they clear the rotors and brake calipers with any trouble. this was a common question from after market places that sold steel wheels. They wouldn't put one on to see if it clears unless I bought a steel rim first. Responses asap would sure be appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have the part number, and where they got their 16" steel wheels in the GTA (West)?

I was just at Consumer's Tire in Mississauga, and the 16's that were supposed to fit per the wheel book they have don't fit.

The brake caliper rubs against the underside of the rim.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave