MIL came on Friday morning - "Steering Angle" code.

I had to drive to a remote office on Friday morning, and it was back to below zero (-5F) from a bit of a warm up, So I used the remote start. I heard the engine fire up in the driveway, finished my briefcase, and went outside - the engine was off.

Turns out the MIL lamp came on. It was on steady, not flashing. No way for me to test or ascertain the cause - I had to drive by the dealer on my trip, and it was a 260 mile round trip, so I didn't want to have issues so far from home. So I stopped in. $97 and an hour later (I'm outside the 36k warranty, and it's below the $100 deductible for my Chrysler bumper to bumper extended warranty) I got a computer flash, and was told it was a "Steering Angle" code. No problems since.

The service rep told me it could be a sign of either the extreme cold, and fluctuating temps, or that the clockspring may have an issue - if I understand his explanation, it's what connects the electronics in the steering wheel to the car's computer.

Has anyone ever had a problem with that? That's the second code I've had this driving season - the first was in early December with my AWD, which went away after a couple days. If I pop a code again, I'll just drive her a couple days and see if it clears.

i just googled this problem and sounds like you got off cheap on this problem if their was an actual problem that they act fixed and it doesnt come back. have never heard of this one have had clocksprings problems before but only under warrenty and recall notice good luck. damm cars are getting just to dam hard to work pretty soon we really will have muffer bearings going bad on our cars LOL

I had to drive to a remote office on Friday morning, and it was back to below zero (-5F) from a bit of a warm up, So I used the remote start. I heard the engine fire up in the driveway, finished my briefcase, and went outside - the engine was off.

Turns out the MIL lamp came on. It was on steady, not flashing. No way for me to test or ascertain the cause - I had to drive by the dealer on my trip, and it was a 260 mile round trip, so I didn't want to have issues so far from home. So I stopped in. $97 and an hour later (I'm outside the 36k warranty, and it's below the $100 deductible for my Chrysler bumper to bumper extended warranty) I got a computer flash, and was told it was a "Steering Angle" code. No problems since.

The service rep told me it could be a sign of either the extreme cold, and fluctuating temps, or that the clockspring may have an issue - if I understand his explanation, it's what connects the electronics in the steering wheel to the car's computer.

Has anyone ever had a problem with that? That's the second code I've had this driving season - the first was in early December with my AWD, which went away after a couple days. If I pop a code again, I'll just drive her a couple days and see if it clears.

Buy a scanner if you don't have one already. They are well worth the money to scan and clear codes.

Buy a scanner if you don't have one already. They are well worth the money to scan and clear codes.

X2....PLEASE buy yourself a scanner. You can get them for as little as $20. NO WAY would I ever pay the dealer to scan a code for me, though I understand your predicament.

Is there a particular brand or model that anyone has used with success? Most of them have the caveat "Works with MOST OBD II vehicles" or something to that effect.

Any OBD2 compliant reader/scanner will work. I have an Actron but mine is a more expensive model that does both OBD1 and 2 since I have cars with both systems. There are some cheaper ones as well. My suggestion is to go on Amazon and read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-PocketScan-Code-Reader/dp/B0007LEG2K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top