Journey won't start. Stranded in Michigan

• 1 year later...

My wife's 09 Journey just started doing this. It happened for the first time 3 months ago when we were an hour away at our son's baseball game. It happened then a couple weeks ago. And it did it again yesterday.

In the previous 2 cases after letting it sit for a couple hours it eventually started. However yesterday it did not happen. It sat overnight at my wife's school and I tried starting it again today with no luck.

The dashboard, lights, and radio all turn on, but I only get a click when trying to start. Others have stated to try jiggling the shifter, getting out of the vehicle and locking and unlocking the doors, removing one of the fuses for a few minutes. None of that workes. This vehicle is a piece of junk and completely unreliable.

I called Chrysler Cares helpline. Basically, they don't give two hoots about it. They said they haven't received really any complaints about it. I told them to go on their own website and check the hundreds of peoplw who have had the same problem. They told me, they will only issue a recall if "FORMAL" complaints are made. So I urge everyone to call them and make formal complaints bc this is a much bigger problem than they are acknowledging.

I hope someone from Chrysler/Dodge reads this bc I will never buy one of your piece of junk vehicles again. I will also make sure no family member or friend buys one. You have ruined your reputation by pretending this problem doesn't exist.

Seriously, Your car is 5 years old. Maybe your battery is dead, had it tested? Taken it to a dealer or shop to diagnose? Or just decide, because your car wont start, the entire line of Dodge vehicles is junk? I just love people who join a forum just to bash an ENTIRE model lineup because of one vehicle. You wont get any sympathy here. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

I just experienced the one click no start but battery and terminals all good. Towed to out of town dealer and $ 228 later (2009 RT) they replaced a "corroded" starter ground wire. Of course not covered under the "lifetime" warranty.

Seems to be working now.

Jkeaton,

Of course I had the battery tested and it tested good. I also had a company vehicle that was a Chrysler minivan that had all kinds of problems.

Now when the tow truck driver comes to pick up the vehicle and states he wouldn't recommend dodge/chrysler vehicles bc he tends to tow them more often, then I put a little more stock in that.

On top of all this a classmate of mine bought a brand new dodge journey in 2013 and had all sorts of problems. To the extent he used the lemon law and got his money back bc in 3 months, his vehicle was in the shop more than at home.

My guess is that you probably work for them. It's ok, nobody likes to hear their baby is ugly. However, clearly there are issues with these vehicles.

Jkeaton,

Of course I had the battery tested and it tested good. I also had a company vehicle that was a Chrysler minivan that had all kinds of problems.

Now when the tow truck driver comes to pick up the vehicle and states he wouldn't recommend dodge/chrysler vehicles bc he tends to tow them more often, then I put a little more stock in that.

On top of all this a classmate of mine bought a brand new dodge journey in 2013 and had all sorts of problems. To the extent he used the lemon law and got his money back bc in 3 months, his vehicle was in the shop more than at home.

My guess is that you probably work for them. It's ok, nobody likes to hear their baby is ugly. However, clearly there are issues with these vehicles.

3 examples AND a tow truck driver? Sounds legit to me... I'm going to see about trading mine in tomorrow!! :headscratch:

Jkeaton,

What's the name of the tow truck driver? Consumer Reports is always looking for "experts"!

Not to sound like a Dodge basher but the reality is they aren't known for their reliability. Last time they topped the list in the J.D. Powers long term reliability was??? Truth is that my wife and I were a little leery of purchasing a Chrysler product as they have always had a rep of being poor in reliability. Now, from my personal experience of having it for 3 years+ I can say that it has been trouble free (knock on wood) exceeded all of our expectations and definitely changed my view of Chrysler. Would I buy another???? Probably would as I can say that it has been a real joy to own this Journey. For me its been a true workhorse. :)

I don't think its anyone fault to give their opinions that these vehicles do not stand up to the test but the fault of Chrysler or any other American automaker that still has been unsuccessful in in changing the public view of their cars.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Jkeaton,

Nope, dont work for Chrysler. I'm just a happy Chrysler customer. My babies are gorgeous! As I said, good luck with your next purchase.

Not to sound like a Dodge basher but the reality is they aren't known for their reliability. Last time they topped the list in the J.D. Powers long term reliability was??? Truth is that my wife and I were a little leery of purchasing a Chrysler product as they have always had a rep of being poor in reliability. Now, from my personal experience of having it for 3 years+ I can say that it has been trouble free (knock on wood) exceeded all of our expectations and definitely changed my view of Chrysler. Would I buy another???? Probably would as I can say that it has been a real joy to own this Journey. For me its been a true workhorse. :)

I don't think its anyone fault to give their opinions that these vehicles do not stand up to the test but the fault of Chrysler or any other American automaker that still has been unsuccessful in in changing the public view of their cars.

I have owned 4 Chrysler products (my last 4 vehicles) and they have all been trouble free except for a water pump issue on my old Ram. I also have many friends who have owned them and I have not personally seen any with glaring issues... They did have a reputation for bad transmissions a while back, but I've never even seen an issue with those among people who actually take care of their vehicles.

Also, I would put no faith in a company that charges companies for access to their surveys, then charges them more to mention their reviews in their ads AND THEN offers them a consulting service (for even more money) to help ensure that they are reviewed higher in coming years... I much prefer an unbiased review, where the company purchases the vehicle, reviews it, and then makes NO money from the manufacturer...something more like consumer reports. JD Power is a joke IMHO.

• 9 months later...