Journey won't start. Stranded in Michigan

Loaded the family into the car last night headed back to my folks house after a New Years Eve party and the car wouldn't start. Stick the key in the ignition and it plays dead. No dash lights at all. The car can still be remote started but can't be taken out of park in that mode. Inserting the key does nothing. It's like it's not seeing our keys. We tried both sets.

I disconnected the negative battery wire in an attempt to reboot the computer and was able to remote start it again but that's all. Called roadside assistance and had it dragged up onto a flat bed with the tranny locked in park and dumped at a local dealer who is of course closed for New Years Day. I hope it's an easy fix as I need to get home to St. Louis asap.

Anyone have any insight into this problem?

Gordon

larryl is right. Not what I wanted to hear though. The servicing dealer say's they will have them in on monday. Unfortunately, I need to be back in St. Louis before then which means I'll be back sometime next week to return my rental and pick up the Journey. 1200 mile round trip and the cost of my rental and gas is not $ I'm happy to be spending because my nearly new Dodge took a dump on me 600 miles from home. Not to mention 2 days of my time. The new Chevy Traverse is looking better all the time....

One heads up. The service writer said there was a recall on this item. If thats true, I sure would liked to have heard about it before I headed out on a road trip with my family.

larryl is right. Not what I wanted to hear though. The servicing dealer say's they will have them in on monday. Unfortunately, I need to be back in St. Louis before then which means I'll be back sometime next week to return my rental and pick up the Journey. 1200 mile round trip and the cost of my rental and gas is not $ I'm happy to be spending because my nearly new Dodge took a dump on me 600 miles from home. Not to mention 2 days of my time. The new Chevy Traverse is looking better all the time....

One heads up. The service writer said there was a recall on this item. If thats true, I sure would liked to have heard about it before I headed out on a road trip with my family.

Mine did the same thing but I was able to jump it and then after that it worked great. It has happened to me 3 times and I just had my win module replaced 2 weeks agao. All good so far. Just make sure you have both keys with you when they change the win module as they need to reprogramm the car to accept both of them. I did not know this and the dealer did not say anything and when my wife went to use the car it would not start. Had it reprogrammed and works great.

• 7 months later...
Mine did the same thing but I was able to jump it and then after that it worked great. It has happened to me 3 times and I just had my win module replaced 2 weeks agao. All good so far. Just make sure you have both keys with you when they change the win module as they need to reprogramm the car to accept both of them. I did not know this and the dealer did not say anything and when my wife went to use the car it would not start. Had it reprogrammed and works great.

It's the shifter, there is a switch in the shifter when it goes into park it enables the truck to start. Try jiggling the shifter and it should start. Mines been doing it since I've got it but its been doing it more lately so its going in the shop on friday.

• 4 months later...

This tuesday just gone, had driven 250 miles, with out a problem... then in the afternoon, put key in ignition, all lights but no ignition circuits... vehicle got recovered to the dealers, and have since had a WIM module AND an ELV module to repair the faults...........

getting mighty annoyed at the amount of elctrical problems this beast has had/got!!

• 1 month later...

This tuesday just gone, had driven 250 miles, with out a problem... then in the afternoon, put key in ignition, all lights but no ignition circuits... vehicle got recovered to the dealers, and have since had a WIM module AND an ELV module to repair the faults...........

getting mighty annoyed at the amount of elctrical problems this beast has had/got!!

it happened to me last night...drove all day went to son's practice and nothing tried to jump it ..and nothing..went back an hour later..and jiggled the gear shift it started took it to the dealer today and they said it was the computer brain of the car out..and they are on back order at least 5 day's...

it happened to me last night...drove all day went to son's practice and nothing tried to jump it ..and nothing..went back an hour later..and jiggled the gear shift it started took it to the dealer today and they said it was the computer brain of the car out..and they are on back order at least 5 day's...

I had that same problem starting 2 months after we got it. We called roadside which was free to get a boost and it started up. A week later the same thing but i hit the shifter by accident and guess what, it started right up. This went on for months and all we had to do was jiggle the shifter back and forth. Thing was it became more consistant. the dealer had no clue what was wrong, the third fix attempt was to change that starter, it hasn't happened since.

• 1 month later...

I had that same problem starting 2 months after we got it. We called roadside which was free to get a boost and it started up. A week later the same thing but i hit the shifter by accident and guess what, it started right up. This went on for months and all we had to do was jiggle the shifter back and forth. Thing was it became more consistant. the dealer had no clue what was wrong, the third fix attempt was to change that starter, it hasn't happened since.

We have the same with CRD model approx 15 times. After 1 month said "click" when starting. Helps if you give extra power from aux battery or you just give a big hand on the relay box. Could also work kicking the tires hard ! If WIN is OK, then it must be a loose wire connection. The dealer is working on it.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem...now the third problem I have had with my Journey..depressing. The dealer wants $50.00 just to look at it and the key is another $240.00. Can anyone tell me what that repair for the WIN module cost?

Hi Diane,

These type of 'intermittant' problems are frustrating. Unfortunately, the exact root cause of the problem has not been identified. The WIN (Wireless Ignition Node) is likely contributing to the problem. Make sure you have both key fobs flashed by the dealer so the key / WIN communication is proper. If you get stranded again try removing the IOD fuse for at least 1 minute (labeled M13 in the underhood fuse block, sort of easy to locate as it's the only single (1) fuse located between two larger relay modules). Handily, the plastic little fuse puller gripping tool is provided on the left side of fuse block. This trick resets the WIN module and will likely allow you to start the vehicle.

Try to get the dealer NOT to charge you for a WIN module, as this is NOT something that normally 'wears out'. Plus, there are a number of 'recalls and service bulletins' out there on various Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles involving the WIN modules. Sounds like a part that needs 're-engineering'. Anyway, best of luck in your future travels.

Doc

• 6 months later...

Hi, i already change de win module a days a go, include one key because the alarm doesnt work i mean doesnt operate the remote to open the doors, but a last monday the car doesnt start again, i have to move the shifter until heard a lilltle click in the ignition part (win module) and the car start, maybe ist not the module i think the problems its in the shiftter any comment??

sorry maybe my english have some errors. jaja

best regards

• 10 months later...

I have an 09 DJ w/keyless entry. i have had this same issue where i turn the key and it will not start. Everything else works, radio, windows, ... i would keep trying and eventually it would start, than one day it would not start for nothing so i had to call a tow truck to pick it up. Once they took it off the truck it started right up. My son looked at it and said everytime it won't start put it NUTRAL and see if it will start. So i did and every single time it will not start i put it in NUTRAL and voila it starts. it is definately a mistery...

I have an 09 DJ w/keyless entry. i have had this same issue where i turn the key and it will not start. Everything else works, radio, windows, ... i would keep trying and eventually it would start, than one day it would not start for nothing so i had to call a tow truck to pick it up. Once they took it off the truck it started right up. My son looked at it and said everytime it won't start put it NUTRAL and see if it will start. So i did and every single time it will not start i put it in NUTRAL and voila it starts. it is definately a mistery...

That would indicate the electrical circuit for PARK/NEUTRAL start is faulty.

Either a switch or interlock cable adjustment would appear to be the problem.

Some Chrysler cars use a cable actuated interlock system and these can

either stretch or pop out of the cable path locks.

• 4 months later...

Same 'no start' problem started happening to my UK Journey CRD dual clutch auto a couple of weeks ago - ignition on - all dash lights fine - turn the key to start - nothing! Had to abandon the car overnight in a car park, but it started first time next morning.

Dealer updated the software - seemed fine - I went to pick the vehicle up - wouldn't start! Left the vehicle with the dealer who changed the WIN Module and the ELV, and re-programmed the 2 keys. All seemed well for a couple of days, then it refused to start all day. Started at the third attempt next day so drove it to the dealer and left it there. Still waiting to hear from them after 2 days. Guess they are baffled.

• Official Dodge Support
Same 'no start' problem started happening to my UK Journey CRD dual clutch auto a couple of weeks ago - ignition on - all dash lights fine - turn the key to start - nothing! Had to abandon the car overnight in a car park, but it started first time next morning.

Dealer updated the software - seemed fine - I went to pick the vehicle up - wouldn't start! Left the vehicle with the dealer who changed the WIN Module and the ELV, and re-programmed the 2 keys. All seemed well for a couple of days, then it refused to start all day. Started at the third attempt next day so drove it to the dealer and left it there. Still waiting to hear from them after 2 days. Guess they are baffled.

The only case I could find on the issue is below.

Case Number: S1208000071

Release Date: 02/23/2012

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Intermittent No Start

Diagnosis:

Condition of a no start appears at times. May not have any fault codes.

Repair:

Tightened pin in cavity 57 of the PDC C3 connector, DG/OR wire, controls the starter relay circuit.

Many thanks DodgeCares- I will pass on to my Dodge service centre. Fortunately, the annoying fault occurred just inside the 3 year warranty period. I must say that my Journey is a truly great car - a pity that they are no longer available in the UK. Dodge UK have been excellent with warranty claims - no quibbles, no expense spared - alloy wheels replaced due to failure of the lacquer and they even replaced the tyre pressure sensors at the same time without me asking. The only other minor faults were a coolant leak from a clip on the top hose, an over sensitive alarm sensor and a recall for the door wiring harness. The VW engine and Getrag gearbox work well and my 1300kg trailer caravan is towed with ease.

• Official Dodge Support
Many thanks DodgeCares- I will pass on to my Dodge service centre. Fortunately, the annoying fault occurred just inside the 3 year warranty period. I must say that my Journey is a truly great car - a pity that they are no longer available in the UK. Dodge UK have been excellent with warranty claims - no quibbles, no expense spared - alloy wheels replaced due to failure of the lacquer and they even replaced the tyre pressure sensors at the same time without me asking. The only other minor faults were a coolant leak from a clip on the top hose, an over sensitive alarm sensor and a recall for the door wiring harness. The VW engine and Getrag gearbox work well and my 1300kg trailer caravan is towed with ease.

I hope the they can get it fixed up for you quickly. Unfortunately because of your location my ability to help is limited. Let us know what they find out as it may help others who experience the same problem.

Hi everyone, new here, unfortunately because of the won't start problem, anyway, reading some different advices from people suffering by this issue, mine got solved i guess momentarily by removig fuse M13, after many failed start attempts, around 20 to 30 in one hour, just removed fuse, wait a few seconds and put it back on place, it's now working fine, my question is, does that confirms that the WIN module should be replaced or reflashed?

I think my Journey non-starting problem is fixed now. Dealer kept it for a week - started it every day until it wouldn't start - found a couple of loose wires on a circuit board as suggested by DodgeCares. The moral of this story seems to be don't just assume it's the WIN Module/ELV at fault - it could be something relatively simple, but is a difficult task to track down an intermittent problem. I can't praise Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge UK enough for the non-quibble way they have dealt with any warranty issues. The car is now 3 years old and out of warranty.

• Official Dodge Support
I think my Journey non-starting problem is fixed now. Dealer kept it for a week - started it every day until it wouldn't start - found a couple of loose wires on a circuit board as suggested by DodgeCares. The moral of this story seems to be don't just assume it's the WIN Module/ELV at fault - it could be something relatively simple, but is a difficult task to track down an intermittent problem. I can't praise Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge UK enough for the non-quibble way they have dealt with any warranty issues. The car is now 3 years old and out of warranty.

I hope the issue is finally resolved for you. I couldn't agree more with your post. While many times issues seem to be the same because they have the same symptoms, often the fix can be very different. Having been out on these boards for almost 2 years now I can tell you many times people replace things based on what has fixed other vehicles only to find out they did not have the same problem, only the same symptoms.

• 2 months later...

Hello

I have a 2013 dodge journey model r/t. The vehicle started stalling on me when shifting in reverse. It has also stalled a few times while driving 100km/h. I called chrysler canada they advise no recalls for this. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue??

Edited by catou1983

Best thing you can do, is take it to the dealer no later than the next day. This way, they can read what the PCM has stored from when it stalled. Ic you take it after 4 start and drive cycles, they won't be able to rear the errors.

(That's what a mech at the dealer told me)