Recall modification 08-087

vI have a 2009 Journey I bought back on June 9. I just received a recall notice from the dealer for Modification RRT 08-087. I asked the service manager on the phone what it was for and he told me it had something to do with brakes/powersteering and a cap of some sort. I was not to comfortable with his answer so I called dodge and they told me there was no recall for my vehicle and that if I got the noyice from the dealer, it wwas the dealer doing the recall. I asked dodge how could the dealer recall the vehicle and you dodge not know anything about it. Needless to say the non english speaking rep could not answer my question. I am wondering has anyone else seen this or had the repair completed? if so what is it for?

On another note I am getting a vibrating/whistling sound coming from the front of the car when I am going 60-70 on the highway. It does not do it all the time but it is very annoying when it does occur. I thought at first it was my radar detector against the glass so I removed it but I still get the noise. I am not sure if it is the same as the howling noise as I have read in the forums because it is not really a howl, sounds almost like when you were a kid and stuck a baseball card in your bicycle tire spokes, that is what it sounds more like. Any one else getting this noise?

Also on two occasions now i went to start the car and when i turned the key to acc everything came on fine but when I went to start the car, nothing. Completly dead. On the first occasion I used the factory installed remote start to get it started and it worked fine. I turned the car off and back on with the key and it worked as it should. the second time the same thing everything came on fine but when I went to start the car nothing, teh remote start did not work either. I would up having to jump the car to get it started. No lights were left on, not was the radio and it is garage kept. I turned the car off immediately after getting it going and tried the key and it worked fine. It has been 2 weeks and it still seems ok, anyone else have this problem?

Just an FYI I had my first oil change down at 3500 miles by the dealer and at 5000 miles my oil change notice came across teh system notification screen on the dashboard. I tried resetting it several times. Everytime I reset it the oil change notification would reset but then about a minute later it would come back on. I took it to the dealer who kept it all day and they said all they did was reset the notification. I find it hard to believe that is all they did for the whole day and plus i did about 20 times over a three day period, has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions on getting the dealer to check your vehicle for all service bulletins? I have been looking on line and see there have been radio upgrades and tsb's on the power steering fluid level but when I ask my dealer they say there is nothing for my vehicle. I feel like they are just being lazy and really do not want to do any work on it unless I complain about a specific problem. Is there a site that lists all the service bulletins? I would love to get a complete list and take it to the dealer and have them go over the car. Thaks for any information provided.

08-087 is not a recall, it is an RRT which is a prompt to the dealers to get them to proactively apply a TSB. This one happens to deal with power steering grinding noise when turning. Even if you don't have the noise now let the dealer replace the reservoir, it will prevent noise in the future. The noise is not a safety concern only an inconvenience. The help line didn't know about it because it wasn't a safety, emissions, or customer satisfaction notice.

Vibrating at high speeds sounds just like a cowl screen issue. Ask the dealer to apply TSB 23-027-08. At the same time tell him to apply TSB 11-003-08 to check the exhaust just in case. I want to make sure he fixes everything in one visit.

The no crank issues sound like a WIN module problem. What is the last 8 of your VIN (9TXXXXXX). Explain the problem to your dealer, and ask him to replace the WIN module.

Please let me know how it turns out.

If you need any help with the dealer let me know.

08-087 is not a recall, it is an RRT which is a prompt to the dealers to get them to proactively apply a TSB. This one happens to deal with power steering grinding noise when turning. Even if you don't have the noise now let the dealer replace the reservoir, it will prevent noise in the future. The noise is not a safety concern only an inconvenience. The help line didn't know about it because it wasn't a safety, emissions, or customer satisfaction notice.

Vibrating at high speeds sounds just like a cowl screen issue. Ask the dealer to apply TSB 23-027-08. At the same time tell him to apply TSB 11-003-08 to check the exhaust just in case. I want to make sure he fixes everything in one visit.

The no crank issues sound like a WIN module problem. What is the last 8 of your VIN (9TXXXXXX). Explain the problem to your dealer, and ask him to replace the WIN module.

mjm48 thank you so much for the information. The last 8 didgits of my vin are 9T185961. I am bringing the car in tomorrow morning which is a miracle they are taken it in on a Saturday for warranty work, the dealer normally will not do any type of warranty work on a Saturday. I will ask them to apply both those TSB and to replace the WIN Module. I am just assuming that they will ask me to bring it back another day to apply the TSB and Win module, either way I will keep you posted as to the progress with the dealer.

Off note, I have the my gig without NAV, I have sirius and I just saw there was an update to the radio software. Is this something the dealer is supposed to do? if so is there a charge? Or do I just need to update the radio myself?

Thanks again.

vI have a 2009 Journey I bought back on June 9. I just received a recall notice from the dealer for Modification RRT 08-087. I asked the service manager on the phone what it was for and he told me it had something to do with brakes/powersteering and a cap of some sort. I was not to comfortable with his answer so I called dodge and they told me there was no recall for my vehicle and that if I got the noyice from the dealer, it wwas the dealer doing the recall. I asked dodge how could the dealer recall the vehicle and you dodge not know anything about it. Needless to say the non english speaking rep could not answer my question. I am wondering has anyone else seen this or had the repair completed? if so what is it for?

On another note I am getting a vibrating/whistling sound coming from the front of the car when I am going 60-70 on the highway. It does not do it all the time but it is very annoying when it does occur. I thought at first it was my radar detector against the glass so I removed it but I still get the noise. I am not sure if it is the same as the howling noise as I have read in the forums because it is not really a howl, sounds almost like when you were a kid and stuck a baseball card in your bicycle tire spokes, that is what it sounds more like. Any one else getting this noise?

Also on two occasions now i went to start the car and when i turned the key to acc everything came on fine but when I went to start the car, nothing. Completly dead. On the first occasion I used the factory installed remote start to get it started and it worked fine. I turned the car off and back on with the key and it worked as it should. the second time the same thing everything came on fine but when I went to start the car nothing, teh remote start did not work either. I would up having to jump the car to get it started. No lights were left on, not was the radio and it is garage kept. I turned the car off immediately after getting it going and tried the key and it worked fine. It has been 2 weeks and it still seems ok, anyone else have this problem?

Just an FYI I had my first oil change down at 3500 miles by the dealer and at 5000 miles my oil change notice came across teh system notification screen on the dashboard. I tried resetting it several times. Everytime I reset it the oil change notification would reset but then about a minute later it would come back on. I took it to the dealer who kept it all day and they said all they did was reset the notification. I find it hard to believe that is all they did for the whole day and plus i did about 20 times over a three day period, has anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions on getting the dealer to check your vehicle for all service bulletins? I have been looking on line and see there have been radio upgrades and tsb's on the power steering fluid level but when I ask my dealer they say there is nothing for my vehicle. I feel like they are just being lazy and really do not want to do any work on it unless I complain about a specific problem. Is there a site that lists all the service bulletins? I would love to get a complete list and take it to the dealer and have them go over the car. Thaks for any information provided.

Chuck,

I get the same noise only mine sounds like a bee buzzing. Of course the dealer said they couldn't duplicate the noise. After reading all this I am going to insist that they replace the cowl. What they need to do is get rid of those plastic type screws that hold it down.

NAC Chuck - There are no software updates for your radio. The software update I think you are referring to is the RRT for NAV radios (REU sales code). So any Journey dirvers out there with a NAV radio and a build date prior to 10/6/08 should ask dealer to flash your radio with software version 8.119 and/or apply RRT 08-085. You can check the build date on the sticker on the driver door - it will be listed as the MDH which stands for month date hour in this format MMDDHH. The failure mode is loss of audio and inaccurate Navigation data.

that annoying whistle is from the fins at the base of the windshield, see if yours is loose, my dealer ordered new clips as the whole plastic plate shifts around

thanks, mjm also suggested this which is probably the same thing. "Vibrating at high speeds sounds just like a cowl screen issue. Ask the dealer to apply TSB 23-027-08. At the same time tell him to apply TSB 11-003-08 to check the exhaust just in case. I want to make sure he fixes everything in one visit."

mjm,

I just left the dealer and they said they replaced the reservoir and they tightened the bolts which were loose for tsb 11-003-08. They did this in about 35 mins. Does that sound about right? As far as the cowl and TSB 23-027-08 he said that it calls for him to drill holes through the cowl and into the frame and secure it with screws. He also said being that it is a saturday they did not want to start drilling at the base of the windshield just in case they crack it, so I have to bring it back for that. He would not look into the WIN module today but will do it when I return to have the cowl issue fixed. They told me that it could be anything and that you were probably wrong about the WIN module and they cannot just order a WIN module unless the car is in the shop. So I guess when I bring it in for the cowl issue they will look at the WIN module and the NO start condition I have and tell me they could not find anything and nothing will get fixed. This is the standard procedure with this dealer. It seems they cannot fix anything unless you bring it to them 4 or 5 times.

Was he right about drilling holes because I have seen in other posts about them replacing the cowl and clips, nothing about drilling holes. I also have a issue with the rear dome led light on the driver side is half light and flickers and an awful tapping in the engine that just started. I will have then check that out when I return in dec.

Thanks again for the info and help.

The new cowl screens other people reference have an extra hole for another fastener. If you get a new cowl screen the dealer still has to drill a hole in the lower air box for the fastener. Either repair will correct the noise.

1/2 hour is correct for the reservoir. I spoke with Wally and he said he replaced the reservoir.

I also talked to Wally about the WIN module. You'll be all set on December 2.

• 1 year later...

I had my resevoir replaced on a TSB last year (I have a 2009 SE). As well, with the resetting of the oil change notification, I believe you turn the key to ACC, pump gas pedal 3 times, turn key to OFF then start the car. Should clear it.

• 1 year later...