Braking Shudder

I have a 2009 Journey.

When I brake, I get some serious shudder.

The rotors were replaced 6 months ago whilst I still had my winter rims/tires on. I did not experience shudder back then.

Once I put the summer rims/tires on (that came with the car) the shudder started.

I have recently had all the wheels balanced but it is still there.

I get a little bit of shudder whilst cruising.

Any ideas?

• Dodge Journey 2009
  • 19" Rims
  • FWD
  • SXT

• Official Dodge Support

I have a 2009 Journey.

When I brake, I get some serious shudder.

The rotors were replaced 6 months ago whilst I still had my winter rims/tires on. I did not experience shudder back then.

Once I put the summer rims/tires on (that came with the car) the shudder started.

I have recently had all the wheels balanced but it is still there.

I get a little bit of shudder whilst cruising.

Any ideas?

• Dodge Journey 2009
  • 19" Rims
  • FWD
  • SXT

menstonbantam

Have you had your vehicle into your local Dodge Service Facility for an inspection to the braking system?

Your vehicle may be due for a brake servicing ie. cleaning and lubrication to the brake components.

Please update if you have an inspection completed to verify what the concerns may be.

Could be a loose tire. I know you had the tires balanced, but I had mine done and they didn't use the correct adapter on the machine. The shudder was so bad I could not go over 30 mph. They rebalanced them using the correct adapter and then it was fine. Also, even a brand new tire could be defective. I agree that if it started with these tire, thats where the problem most likely is. Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since the OP is talking about brake shudder, it is not likely a tire or balancing issue. When a rotor is out of round, it will cause the shudder you are feeling.

There could be several reasons for a rotor to be out of round. Since the issue occurred during a wheel change over, my fist guess would be an over torqued wheel. By over torquing the lug nuts, it puts extra pressure on the rotors and can cause them to warp ever so slightly. That will certainly cause a shudder.

Another possibility is when the wheel is off the car, there is nothing holding the rotor flush against the hub. Its possible while swapping wheels, the rotor separated from the hub slightly and a piece of rust or debris got trapped in between the rotor & the hub. When the wheel was tightened again, the foreign object is preventing the rotor from being true and this can cause a runout. The rotor doesn't rotate on the same plane and sort of wobbles as its rotating. This, just like a warped rotor, can cause the brake shudder you are feeling.

Lastly, the Journey brakes are complete pieces of crap and need replacing once a year due to them being undersized for the weight of the vehicle. Consider getting higher quality parts, or upgrading to bigger brakes to prevent this from happening again.

• 1 month later...

2011 Mainstreet 32K. Sounds like I have the exact same issue with brakes, called dealer and Dodge Customer Care and both said that the 2009 and 10's would be extended to 3/36 to replace rotors and pads, but the 2011 was not covered. 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know if Dodge might include the 2011's in the 3/36 extension to get this brake issue fixed?

2. If I buy the parts and replace myself, is the problem proven to be front, rear, or both? I'm guessing front, and also cannot believe that all 4 rotors would be defective.

Any input would be appreciated - Thanks.