Clunking when put into reverse

kmac171

Well after spending about 2 1/2 hrs at the dealership today I was told my problem was fixed. When I got into the Journey to leave, Reverse clunked right away. I went back inside and told them it wasn't fixed. I was told that the technician tweaked the backlash in reverse as well as did some work on the transmission's computer. I don't have the tech's notes, they have to mail them to me. Anyway I told them I've never felt an automatic transmission do that before and I've owned 2 other new Dodge's and 2 new Jeeps, so I'm familiar with Chrysler trannys. The service manager took me out to two other brand new Journey's they had on the lot and one of them made a small noise going into Reverse and the other didn't make any, but made a much louder clunk when going into Drive. Anyway, the problem isn't any better than when I dropped it off but I'm wondering if I'm just used to a smoother transmission and if this transmission is just going to be a little rougher than i'm accustomed to. Who knows. Anybody else had any luck?

Although you have had numerous new vehicles, this is more than likely your first 6spd. It's proabbly a little rough around the edges. I will say that I test drove an Acadia, and it is much worse. It searches for gears back and forth the entire time. After that, I can stand a little clunking.

• 2 weeks later...

I still am hearing that thud sound going from reverse to first and vice-versa but not nearly as much if I press the brake pedal hard when I am shifting. It brings the car to a dead stop for sure before I switch gears. I took my Journey into the dealer to have them check it out and the mechanic told me he heard the thud sound sometimes but they didn't know of any problem with it and they haven't received anything from Chrysler on it. I told them that I just wanted it on record I had complained about it in case something comes up further down the road. They understood.

I have never had a 6 speed trans before and maybe this is normal. It is just that I am bugged by having this thud every so often.

do you have any other symptoms? When I am in a parking lot and just using the gas lightly the vehicle will jerk when I let off the gas.

I tried to describe it as driving a manual tranny in 1st and accelerating then taking your foot off the gas quickly and it jerks to slow down.

Know what i mean??

Just an update, I reported that i thought the dealership hadn't fixed my problem because i got the clunk right away when leaving. Well after a day or two of driving i haven't had the clunk again when putting it into reverse. It seems they did fix the problem. The hard shifting between gears 1-3 or 4 is also greatly reduced. It still isn't as smooth as the auto in my '06 Magnum but it is smoother now than it was before they looked at it. Maybe just tweaking the computer and adjusting the backlash is all that is needed. the guy at the service desk told me there was a tsb for the computer, but he may have just been saying that. Anyway, i wish you guys luck.

• 4 months later...

I bought my Dodge Journey in May and have done around 2600km. I'm now experiencing the same problems as KCoastie. I noticed the rough shifting between 1st, 2nd and 3rd from day one, but figured I just had to get used to the car. The problem seems to be getting worse and now I'm getting the clunking sound when I shift in to reverse and it's especially bad when going from reverse to drive. I can't replicate the problem on demand, but it's definitely becoming more frequent and louder. Also, the car has shifted in to neutral on two occasions while I've been driving. The stick is still in drive, but the gear is in neutral.

The car is going to the dealership tomorrow to get checked over but I'm sure they will simply say there's nothing wrong with the car (as is usually the case). Has anyone else had any luck in getting the problem solved?

Thanks for your response Canada_Jay. The dealership said they had received notice to flash (or reset) the PCM if a customer notices problems with the transmission. Apparently a number of people have reported this problem. Hopefully when I get the car back tonight the problem will be solved!

• 1 month later...

Well, here's a quick update for everyone. I'm at almost 9000 miles on my journey and I'm still getting the hard, delayed shifts between 1-2 gear and 2-3 gear, and the clunk in reverse. I've had it in to the dealership I bought it from 3 times with no results and this past weekend took it to another dealership for this problem. Wait until you hear this, they couldn't find my issue and therefore tried to charge me $45 dollars for the use of the ScanTool. Can you believe that?!?! The lady at the desk told me they always do that when someone brings in a vehicle for an issue like mine that is not throwing codes. Anyway long story short, I argued with her and didn't have to pay for it. That straw broke the camel's back and I sent a very professional certified letter to Chrysler explaining this particular incident and my dissatisfaction in general with the inability of the dealerships to fix the problem. Hopefully I will hear back sometime soon, and I will keep you all posted of the outcome.

Well, here's a quick update for everyone. I'm at almost 9000 miles on my journey and I'm still getting the hard, delayed shifts between 1-2 gear and 2-3 gear, and the clunk in reverse. I've had it in to the dealership I bought it from 3 times with no results and this past weekend took it to another dealership for this problem. Wait until you hear this, they couldn't find my issue and therefore tried to charge me $45 dollars for the use of the ScanTool. Can you believe that?!?! The lady at the desk told me they always do that when someone brings in a vehicle for an issue like mine that is not throwing codes. Anyway long story short, I argued with her and didn't have to pay for it. That straw broke the camel's back and I sent a very professional certified letter to Chrysler explaining this particular incident and my dissatisfaction in general with the inability of the dealerships to fix the problem. Hopefully I will hear back sometime soon, and I will keep you all posted of the outcome.

Here is my update:

I was having similar shift problems, especailly from a red light, or when coming to a stop, then acelerating before completing the stop.

Apaprently There is a TSB out for a transmission reprograming or re-flashing that needs to be preformed on all Journeys with the 6 speed auto. I do not have the TSB number on me, but i can get it when i get home from work.

it has seemed to fix the majority of problems, but everyonce in a while, i get a small clunk from a dead stop (not while shifting.)

Ok as usually they do not put the TSB number on the final paper work...but they kinda did one better.

ALl it says is "TSB found regarding the PCM. Please change the PCM from part# 68003158AF to 68003158L. Reprogram"

So the new PCM number shoudl be 68003158L and thats what the dealer should install into your cars.

Hope this helps...sorry about not having the actual TSB number....but it does say there is a TSB...so don't let your dealers give you the shaft.

Now i did talk with my Service Advisor, he did say this TSB probably should have been done before the dealer sold the car...thats if the dealer followed through with them (my purchasing dealer did not, and they went out of business, so i had to have my new dealer do it)

so make sure they double check and show you that you have the current PCM in there....4 months later and it is still going good for me.

Does anyone know by chance, if this TSB applies to the 6 speed MANUAL transmission, as i am having loads of probs with the 6 speed on my Diesel Journey, trouble getting 1st to 2nd , 2nd to 3rd, and constant clutch noises when engaging these gears.....

It would not apply to manuals as manuals are not controled by the PCM....Your shift the car not the computer. But there may be a different TSB for your complaint than whats for the Auto's. But since the CRD motor is not in the states, i am not sure if it we could get that info if it exsists. Does the CRD use the same manual trans as the 2.4 ?

It would not apply to manuals as manuals are not controled by the PCM....Your shift the car not the computer. But there may be a different TSB for your complaint than whats for the Auto's. But since the CRD motor is not in the states, i am not sure if it we could get that info if it exsists. Does the CRD use the same manual trans as the 2.4 ?
I don't know for the States, but in Canada, there is no manual gearbox with the 2.4, just a 4 speed automatic.

I don't know for the States, but in Canada, there is no manual gearbox with the 2.4, just a 4 speed automatic.

Interesting....Here in the states there is no (not that i know of or what my dealer told me about) 2.7 liter v6...just the 4 cyl and the 35. The 4 cyl is offered with a 6 speed manual if i remember correctly.

Interesting....Here in the states there is no (not that i know of or what my dealer told me about) 2.7 liter v6...just the 4 cyl and the 35. The 4 cyl is offered with a 6 speed manual if i remember correctly.

We don't have the 2.7 either. We have the 2.4 with the 4 speed automatic and the 3.5 with the 6 speed automatic. I just looked on the website and we have the same engines and trasmissions in the US and Canada.

We don't have the 2.7 either. We have the 2.4 with the 4 speed automatic and the 3.5 with the 6 speed automatic. I just looked on the website and we have the same engines and trasmissions in the US and Canada.

Well there goes my memory. Mayby i am confusing myself with the CRD with teh six speed manual in europe