Undercoating and does it quiet the interior noise

Hi,

I have a 2012 Journey R/T. The Journey drives real nice but I'd like to take the interior noise down a level of two. Has anyone undercoated their Journey and noticed a difference in sound quality?

I can have it done for $200 but don't want to follow through if others have done it and seen no noticeable difference. Any other ideas to help quiet the interior?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON DYNAMAT!! Take your noise hating self to home Depot or Lowes. Go to the roofing department. Look for a product called *peel n seal* it's about 20 bucks for a 6"x30' roll. It works just as well for sound dampening, plus has a thicker aluminum layer for better heat reflection(cooler summers, faster warming in winters) and the rubberized asphalt backing is much easier to work with. It's not super tacky like the dynamat but still sticks just as well after applied. A total undercoat with the stuff(or a strip down and interior layer instead) will cost you probably about 100 bucks vs 5-700 of dynamat.

Edited by Sparkyssxt

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON DYNAMAT!! Take your noise hating self to home Depot or Lowes. Go to the roofing department. Look for a product called *peel n seal* it's about 20 bucks for a 6"x30' roll. It works just as well for sound dampening, plus has a thicker aluminum layer for better heat reflection(cooler summers, faster warming in winters) and the rubberized asphalt backing is much easier to work with. It's not super tacky like the dynamat but still sticks just as well after applied. A total undercoat with the stuff(or a strip down and interior layer instead) will cost you probably about 100 bucks vs 5-700 of dynamat.

Bringing back posts from the dead all over the place, ha! At least you have something to add though... I think that the original post was referring more to the undercarriage and specifically to road noise (though my DJ is damn near silent, so I'm not sure what the issue was on his). I've seen the comparisons in composition, price, etc before... Any idea on the weight trade-off between the two products? I would assume the asphalt is heavier, but have never used either product in a capacity that would allow a factual comparison.

I had mine for about three months, and had it undercoated by Ziebart. No noticeable difference related to noise. I did it to keep the road salt out of crevices. It still stinks every time I get out it after I have driven a distance.