HID kit and Yellow fogs

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've bought every oine of myb HID kits off ebay from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/xeno-HID-KIT-H1-H3-H6m-H4-H7-H8-H11-H9-H10-H13-9004-9005-9006-9007-D2S-D2R-6000K-/220472047437?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item335528774d&vxp=mtr#ht_4807wt_1328

Only had one time a ballast was bad ouot of the box, but the seller shipped me a new one right away. I had these in my first Journey for 3 years with no trouble at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered an HID kit from that ddm site w the error resolution, along w yellow tint for the fog lights... will post pics once completed.

I don't know if you already installed this, but I was not able to install these, they will blink and just go off. I ended up installing HIR bulbs.

But they work great in my wife's Ford Edge.

• 1 year later...

Will HIDs still blink if you install it with a relay? Thank you

I think it depends on the kit. I did a full projector retrofit and used a capacitor to smooth out the PWM signal that causes the flickering. Some newer kits have this installed in the kit itself. I have seen a number of your Canadian counterparts speak of a place that sells kits that are plug and play and flicker-free without anything additional, but I don't recall the name.

I'm sure you've heard this before, so I won't go on too long about it, but I would strongly advise you to look into a full retrofit rather than putting HID lights into your OEM housing. The light scatter is blinding to oncoming traffic and is dangerous (rant done).

No, once the relay is installed they don't blink, power comes straight from the battery. If they continue to flicker then there's either a problem with the relay or the ballast.

Not entirely accurate... The PWM (pulse width modulation) signal can cause flickering even with a relay. The reason that they flicker is that the signal to close the relay isn't always 12v (to be specific, I think that most relays need a minimum of 9v to activate). PWM creates peaks and valleys in the voltage signal sent to the headlight harness; if that signal dips below the threshold of that particular relay it will open the relay and cause the light to shut off. Since this happens quickly it can cause flicker.

That being said, I don't believe this is an issue with the DJ. Perhaps the PWM signal is tighter and never dips below that threshold?