Transmission whine, shifting problems

2009 journey SXT 3.5 89,000 miles

Transmission is making a high pitch whining noise and rpm's go to red line and won't shift until letting off the gas. If you turn the car off it goes away for a little while, shifts fine and then starts acting up again. There are DTC codes present. They are...P0735 Gear 5 incorrect ratio, P0729, P0733 Gear 3 incorrect ratio, P0734 Gear 4 incorrect ratio.

Tranny fluid level is good. Any ideas what this could be? Thanks

• 1 month later...

On my last trip to the interior of BC, I had two instances very similar to the original poster. Both times, I was just starting from a stop and had to merge with traffic on an uphill section of the merge lane in a very short space. I stepped on the gas and the revs kept climbing, and I was not gaining speed. Both times the revs were up to 5000, where I took my foot of the gas for a second and then the revs dropped. Since I was going to take my vehicle in an oil change two days later, I would bring these two incidents up.

When I took it in for the oil change they couldn't find any error codes, and could not duplicate the problem (of course they could not duplicate the problem, because there are no merge lanes that are going uphill anywhere nearby). It gets very frustrating when they don't take your word for what its worth. To me its a very dangerous situation to not be able to gain speed in a merge lane before joining the traffic flow. I really wish the person that looks at the vehicle would actually come and talk to the customer, so one can explain what was happening when problem occurred, the service reps only have so much room to write down what you tell them.

• 3 years later...

I have the same issue on my 2013 Journey... @ 108 000 km.

Needs a rebuild... the dealership would not help out with this.

So I brought it to a transmission place....that would do the work for $1200.00 cheaper.

Chrysler Canada said they could have given me $2000.00 towards it.

Not happy...

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I have the same issue on my 2013 Journey... @ 108 000 km.

Needs a rebuild... the dealership would not help out with this.

So I brought it to a transmission place....that would do the work for $1200.00 cheaper.

Chrysler Canada said they could have given me $2000.00 towards it.

Not happy...

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately some things break. 

• 2 months later...