warped rotor? 2012 R/T

I've had my '12 DJR/T for less than a year now. Current kms are 34,000. Last oilchange I was told I was due for a $200 + tax "brake service" .... through some arguing with the dealership (as I was told at the point of sale that 2 years of brake service would be included due to the smaller brakes), the dealership paid for "this one" but Im on the hook for the rest of them ... which is b.s as far as Im concerned.

ANYWAYS ....... problem is this, immediately after the brake service was done and I was told everything "checked out great", I've had a vibration in the steering wheel, esp when slowing down from highway speeds .... the brake service was done a month ago and this shaking steering wheel is getting worse and worse, it was NOT there prior to the service.

Could this be a warped rotor already?? ... my DJ is only used to get to and from work on the highway (we have a hybrid we use for everything else) ...... Would this be covered under the warranty or anything?

I don't want to go back to the dealership (Finch Chrysler in London, ON) as they love to pass the buck back onto the owner, so I know they will tell me its "normal" or that its my "fault" ......

suggestions ?

I had the same thing you just mentioned - vibration and wet rotor sound...in my case it was the front rotors and I had them replaced. I have 46K on a 2011 R/T and have had at least the front rotors replaced each Spring. My dealership has a 1 year parts/labour waranty...and though the brake wear is minimal I haven't had a set of front rotors last a year without warping.

Edited by Woodsey

check out the "replacing Rotors" thread in the TBS, Recalls and Main section. This is an ongoing issues with this crossover. Many including myself have had nothing but problems with rotors. Mine....going in again today for the same thing....all under warranty. this is under warranty because every time they fix them there is a 1 year parts and labor warranty. Simply the brakes and rotors are to small, which is why Dodge enlarged them half way through the 2012 model year.

thanks everyone for your input ..... glad to know Im not the only one or that Im being picky about this issue.

Im going to take it back to the dealer and have them look at it .... if they try to do their usual "pass the buck" than I'll take it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

WELL ! .... had my appointment today for the brakes and let me tell you, what an incredibly insulting and awful experience with "Finch Chrysler Dodge" in London Ontario. !!

I dropped off the DJ at 2 ... they called me by 2:45 and told me my front pads were at less than 30% pad left and my rotors were horribly warped ! .... REALLY!? ... I have 36000kms on the truck and I JUST did that stupid $300 brake service 3000kms ago ... the shaking and pulsating started almost immediately afterwards, due to my work schedule, today was the soonest I could get it looked at.

ANYWAYS ... So I was told there is no type of warranty or anything for the brakes whatsoever. I than told him how it doesn't seem right that the brakes are shot and the truck is JUST over a year old .... he said it was due to me "driving it" ..... (WHAT?!) ....

This part really gets me, aside from him being totally unprofessional and unhelpful, I brought up this forum and about how many other DJ owners are having the same problem ... he actually laughed in my face and shook his head saying "and do you believe EVERYTHING you read on the internet???" ... he than pushed for me to pay for new pads and rotors today .... I declined and said I was going to another dealership .... I will NEVER step foot back into Finch Chrysler Dodge Jeep ... they have totally lost my business and anyone else I know.

I took the truck 2 dealerships down, to "SouthWest Dodge" ... the lady was very helpful (Jean) ... she looked up my vin number and said unfortunately there is no extended warranty for the brake system ... (which is odd, because when I bought the truck I was told there WAS an extended warranty for the brakes .... ) .... So while SouthWest was looking at my truck, my fiancé called Chrysler Canada and complain about the brakes needing replacement already on a vehicle that is simply a highway commuter AS WELL as file a complaint about Finch ... (this isn't the first problems we've had with that dealership ... everytime its in there and I bring something up, Im told its my fault or "that's the way it is" .. ie: clunking transmission, sat radio cutting in and out, drivers headlight going on and off - southwest fixed that one for me that last time Finch pissed me off)

SouthWest came back and said the same thing Finch said ... the pads aren't as bad as Finch said, but they are low (40-50%) and the front rotors are warped (I knew that) ... what they are going to do however, because of my shitty time with Finch, they are going to make a "goodwill gesture" and replace the brakes completely under warranty and I pay the deductible of $100.00 .......... that makes me happy I guess ..... its better than nothing ... and really, they are going out of their way to offer this as I haven't really had any business with SouthWest up until now except for a minor headlight issue that Finch couldn't figure out.

We are going to wait until Monday/Tuesday, as our complaint with Chrysler Canada is being escalated and we were given a case # ..... so we'll see what the crooks at Finch come back with, if anything ... otherwise I will have the brakes replaced at SouthWest for the $100.00

-- if Im not mistaken, once the brakes are replaced, they have a 1 year warranty on parts and labour? ... therefore WHEN I have this issue in the next 12 mths again, they will be replaced under that warranty??

All in all ... a very long and frustrating day dealing with that ridiculous dealership yet again .... I will never ever recommend "Finch Chrysler Dodge Jeep" in London, Ontario to ANYONE .... horrible, just horrible!

I'll keep ya'll posted nextweek what comes back with our case #

There WAS an extended warranty for brakes for the 2010 and prior model years.

However if your pads are 70% worn and rotors horribly warped, you might want to ask Finch how that had to have developed in the last 3000 km - what was it that they would have charged you the $200 for and why did they neither detect, nor fix a problem then?

Since you have 36K and the service was 3K prior, you have done less than 8% of the mileage on the vehicle since the work they did - so the pads had to have been 65% worn . . . what did they report? And, assuming that it isn't your driving style, a 'horribly warped' rotor likely results from a stuck caliper - and if they cleaned and lubed the slides, like they should have, and if the rotor wasn't warped 3K ago, then they must have done something to cause the caliper to hang up.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I went through this experience recently on my 2011 Journew Crew:

-At 3000km, front brakes and rotors replaced due to brake squeal

-At 28500km (really 25500km on the brakes), issue with wet grinding noise, issue due to slight warping of rotors and uneven wear of the pads. Paid out of my own pocket to machine them

-After 2500km after they machined all 4 brakes, grinding noise appeared on front brakes. After raising a ticket through Dodge Customer Service, the front break pads were replaced as a goodwill gesture

-Just after this service, rotating clicking sound heard in the rear brakes. After two visits to the dealership and no replication was found, I managed to replicate the issue directly to the service manager. The techs found that the brake pads were stuck in the caliper that melted it together! Issue was non-owner fault and this too was fully replaced (rotors, pads, calipers)

I am now hoping that this is the last of my brake issues. I do suggest raising the concerns to Dodge Customer Service and speaking directly to the service manager about your issues and referring to your claim so they know it's being tracked.

• Official Dodge Support

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I went through this experience recently on my 2011 Journew Crew:

-At 3000km, front brakes and rotors replaced due to brake squeal

-At 28500km (really 25500km on the brakes), issue with wet grinding noise, issue due to slight warping of rotors and uneven wear of the pads. Paid out of my own pocket to machine them

-After 2500km after they machined all 4 brakes, grinding noise appeared on front brakes. After raising a ticket through Dodge Customer Service, the front break pads were replaced as a goodwill gesture

-Just after this service, rotating clicking sound heard in the rear brakes. After two visits to the dealership and no replication was found, I managed to replicate the issue directly to the service manager. The techs found that the brake pads were stuck in the caliper that melted it together! Issue was non-owner fault and this too was fully replaced (rotors, pads, calipers)

I am now hoping that this is the last of my brake issues. I do suggest raising the concerns to Dodge Customer Service and speaking directly to the service manager about your issues and referring to your claim so they know it's being tracked.

humansoul,

Good points here, I always like having our customers get a hold of Customer Assistance, especially with repeated issues. We can get it in the system and get track of things, can make a big difference in an out of warranty situation. Service Mangers are a great resource as well, for the most part they are always willing to use our goodwill for customers with issues such as these.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Well folks .... just got home from the dealership (Finch Chrysler in London ON) .... the front pads and rotors were replaced free of charge. Apparently they don't give a "you know what" until Customer Service calls the Service Manager directly to ask wtf ? ...... As I stated in my earlier post, after the incredibly rude and dismissal attitude I received lastweek when I was in there for this issue, we contacted Chrysler Canada and were given a case #. Wouldn't you know it, phone call on Wednesday from the Service Manager himself apologizing and the truck was booked in for 1pm today.

Due to our experience with both the service advisors, we've been told to deal directly with the Service Manager from here on out .... let me tell you though, those same service managers were ESPECIALLY nice and talkative to me today (except for the one who we complained directly about ... he wouldn't even make eye contact).

We're not sure what it is exactly, perhaps its Im fairly "young" to be driving a brand new R/T (30, but I look a lot younger) ... at least they know now that we mean business and to stop effing around with us.

Question though, and perhaps DodgeCAcares can answer this for me. When the truck was done and pulled outside, I was just given the keys and told to have a nice day .... no paperwork or anything to take home ...... should I have been given some sort of paper work ? Also, the pads and rotors now have a 12 mth parts and labour warranty starting from today correct? even if I wasn't given paperwork it will be in the system ?? ......... I just don't want a big battle with them in 10mths when Im having the same problem ....

yes you should have been given paperwork showing what was done. like anything you buy you always get a reciept or paperwork to show what was done and paid. and yes it should be in the chrysler network so any chrysler dealership can pull it up for warrenty work....GO back and ask them to print you out your copy and put it into your warrenty book.........

okay than .... I will be calling them first thing Monday morning than as I want ALL the paperwork and work completed for my records as I know these guys will take any opportunity to screw me over.

I must say though however, I mustve just become accustomed to the shitty way the DJ had been driving, or it has never driven properly. It is truly like driving a brand new vehicle ..... NO shake in the steering whatsoever, smooth braking, also, before I just thought it was a heavy vehicle as to the reason that when I took my foot off the gas it would slow down rather quickly ...... now however it seems to coast like nobodies business ...... Ive truly fallen in love with my DJ all over again ..... and I believe that perhaps the bloody brakes were not fitted properly or slightly seized as to why it would cause such heat to warp the rotors so quickly as well as wear down the pads so fast .......... seems alil suspicious however that Finch did not see this ... or if they did, figured they could make even MORE money off me soon after my brake inspection last month knowing full well that I was damaging the brakes so badly.

The first thing I noted about the DJs I drove was the fact

that they coasted noticeably when you up on the gas,I wrote this

off having come from driving a Dodge Caliber with CVT tranny for

5 years.