Don`t be fooled by the 2500 lbs max tow capacity

InVIcTuS

Alright, let's talk about the serious stuff that all 2011 and above DJ owners are asking themselves at least once: WHY THE F*** DODGE MADE THE TOW CAPACITY DOWN TO 2500 LBS COMPARED TO THE 09-10 MODEL (3500 LBS) ????

Well.... I got a brand new 2013 DJ R/T with the Pentastar 3.6L and it's wonderful 6 speed auto tranny (glitchy at some point but good enough) and I saw in the owner's manual that the tow capacity is maxed out at 2500 lbs with proper equipment (tow package). My father-in-law also own a DJ but his is a 2009 with the 3.5L...... but he can tow up to 3500lbs according to his owner manual......... then I asked myself........ WHY DODGE....... WHY !?!?!?!?

An improved, better, more powerful and more fuel efficient engine with a new 6 speed transmission that tows less !?!?

I'm telling you my DJ owners friends........ the Dodge dealer director where I bought my vehicle HIMSELF told me that I could tow 3500 lbs with the Pentastar..... and I tried it !!!!

Got the Mopar hitch installed at Dodge....... drove back home........ I pinned my 2750 lbs 12 foot trailer tent in the back of my DJ and I pulled it like a charm !!!! I was even doing 120 km/h without noticing at some point.

I don't have electric brake controller installed yet so I keep a good distance between myself and cars in front...... definite must have that I will have to buy soon (arround 500$ installed).....

So YES ! You can tow with this baby.

Edited by InVIcTuS

how is gas mileage affected with your DJ while towing? I'm currently in a 2012 DJ and am considering installing a tow package for my 10' box pop-up tent trailer. Conscerned with all that will be needed to make it tow with out causing long term damage.

• Official Dodge Support

Many things can impact tow ratings such as suspension, tire size, gearing, tuning, wheel base, vehicle weight, etc... When changes occur,such as the redesign of the Journey for 2011, the tow rating can be impacted. You cannot simply look at horsepower ratings and determine the tow rating. Towing over the manufacturer recommendations can lead to premature component failure and can result in unsafe control of the vehicle.

Dodge would love to say that the Journey can tow many more thousands of pounds and use it in their marketing campaign but Dodge creates the rating it does after countless hours of testing so the vehicle will last as long as possible even when a customer tows often and for the safety of the passengers and the other drivers on the road. Not to mention getting your warranty claims rejected when the trans fluid fails because it overheated. If anyone at the dealership told you that you could disregard the owners manual they are wrong.

Many things can impact tow ratings such as suspension, tire size, gearing, tuning, wheel base, vehicle weight, etc... When changes occur,such as the redesign of the Journey for 2011, the tow rating can be impacted. You cannot simply look at horsepower ratings and determine the tow rating. Towing over the manufacturer recommendations can lead to premature component failure and can result in unsafe control of the vehicle.

Dodge would love to say that the Journey can tow many more thousands of pounds and use it in their marketing campaign but Dodge creates the rating it does after countless hours of testing so the vehicle will last as long as possible even when a customer tows often and for the safety of the passengers and the other drivers on the road. Not to mention getting your warranty claims rejected when the trans fluid fails because it overheated. If anyone at the dealership told you that you could disregard the owners manual they are wrong.

As a long time RVer, I can only agree. While you may have the horsepower and torque required, there are many, many more things that enter into tow capacity than just the engine and transmission. A Toyota pickup truck can tow a 300,000 lb. space shuttle, but, not for very long, not very fast nor very often. Your vehicle, you can do what you like, and 275 lbs isn't that much over the 2500 limit, but, if you loaded up the Journey with the rest of the *stuff* campers haul along, you are probably over the gross vehicle weight limit and bear in mind you've voided most all of your warranty and on a brand new Journey to boot...comes under the "we won't cover abuse" section of the warranty.

Bump!

Edited by rolly

Well put, the rating really isn't there for Chysler's well being. It's there to provide the customer an allowable range through which the customer can expect the vehicle to perform within design parameters. Same idea with towing speeds on trailer tires or if we want to think of Ag equipment (more my world) the towing speed rating. Exceed the range and expect things to wear out sooner, on your dime.

how is gas mileage affected with your DJ while towing? I'm currently in a 2012 DJ and am considering installing a tow package for my 10' box pop-up tent trailer. Conscerned with all that will be needed to make it tow with out causing long term damage.

The information provided by Chris B. also applies. Bear in mind that the advertised "dry weight", etc. of your popup does not have the actual "travel weight" information that you need to consider. The weight, as provided by the manufacturers of RVs, is "dry weight". That weight does not include extras, even "mandatory options". Things like propane, battery, even water in the tank(s), must be added to the dry weight. The tongue weight will go up along with the additional travel weight. Also, as I mentioned above, along with the weight of the trailer in matters pertaining to the "tow rating" of a vehicle is the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight or Gross Vehicle Weight. That is the weight of the loaded vehicle. While that weight is usually sufficient for 5 and luggage, the addition of added cargo for camping can be much heavier, coupled with the additional weight of the trailer's tongue weight, than what the vehicle was intended to support.

Bottom line...even the 3500 lb rated Journey's were not designed to be an RV hauler. While with the careful packing and a light popup style trailer it can be done, that's not what the tow system was designed for on these vehicles. Bicycles, a jet-ski, a large cooler mounted on hitch style carrier, a small bass boat or a canoe or kayaks, even a small utility trailer loaded with 12 bales of mulch, yes, but, by no stretch of the imagination was the Journey ever designed to be an RV hauler. As I mentioned above, I'm an RVer with a lot of experience. Do I know everything about towable camping? NO, I'd never claim that, but, I do know enough that I would, personally, never tow any type of camper with a vehicle that had a rating of less than 5,000 lbs and even then, if the vehicle wasn't espressly designed to be a "hauler" (like an HD pickup or full sized SUV), I'd stay under the 80% rule. That's an uspoken "rule of thumb" that says, if in doubt, make sure your load is less than or equal to 80% of the stated capacity. On a Journed rated at 2500 lbs, that means a tow weight of no more than 2,000 lbs. and on your 3500 lb Journeys, the weight would be limited to under 2750 lbs and those two figures will still place a great deal of additional wear and tear on the vehicle.

Yes you can exceed the vehicle manufacturer's ratings; a lot of people assume that if it fits on the ball of the hitch, they are good to go. These are the same people that will be, soon, writing on a forum somewhere about the cheap CV joints, poor transaxle seals, lousy bearings, crumby crankshafts (a crankshaft can make a whole bunch of horsepower, but, be too light to take a full load pounding from towing) that there vehicle has, how dare it break down. I was brought up that if you want a sport's car, buy one; don't buy a cheap import and try to convert it to one and by the same token if you want a towing vehicle, buy a vehicle designed for towing and not just hang a hitch on whatever you've got and say it is a "tow vehicle". Like my dad taught me, it is like trying to teach a pig to sing. You'll never manage to do it and all you'll get for the effort is frustration and a thoroughly "ticked off" pig. Sadly, if you bought your Journey to be an RV tow vehicle, you bought the wrong vehicle; it was never designed to fulfill that role...even the Jeep CJ makes a better tow vehicle than the Journey, at least it has heavy duty axles, joints and bearings though, lest someone take me wrong, it also was never designed to be an RV hauler (unless you have the 4 door version, the 2 door's wheel base is too short for stability and the 4 door just barely adequate for a short popup). Now that I've said that let's hear from all the folks out there that have been towing their 24' fullsize RV with one for years! :hide:

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but, I am an RVer, and if there are going to be combination vehicles on the road they should be within design and safety parameters of both the tow vehicle and the towable for the safety of the passengers and the other vehicles on the road, I'd hate for anyone on here to become an "RV safety statistic".

We are just at our max towing with out camper as well as we had a 2010 that had 3500lbs and now a 2013 with a towing capacity of 2500lbs. I was confused at first also about why the rating was decreased but after some reseach came to the same conclusion about not just looking at the engine alone and consider everything in the car(gearing, tires, suspension, etc.) Our dealership also told us about being able to tow more but they are there to make a sale and its not their car being used. As I have said I am maxed out with our 2013 but with the trailer brakes and the fact that we live in a very flat area and do not tow for extending periods we will be fine but in the back of mind I understand that I may be wearing things out pre maturely and know the risks. We are very careful when we tow and with 3 kids I would never do anything that didnt feel safe....

Keep in mind you cannot legally exceed the CGVWR (Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) which should be on the door sticker. The CGWVR is the combined weight of the tow vehicle, tailer and everything in them (including passengers). If you have an incident or accident and found to be overloaded, you could be cited. Not to mention you may be denied coverage by your insurance.

And no, improving the suspension does not change the legal rating.

As pointed out, it's more than just hp/torque - several factors go into the tow rating including brakes, suspension, etc.

Dodge's tow rating is based on only a 150 lb driver in the vehicle. By the time you factor in tonque weight, safety margins, I'm willing to bet the amount you can safely tow is far less than 2,500 lbs.

Example - my '06 Ram as configured has a tow rating of 7,750 lbs. By the time I factor in safety margins (15-20%) and tongue weight it's only 5,000 lbs.

I was amused by the comment that someone at the dealership assured the poster that he could safely exceed the specifications; as if ANYONE at a dealership has a clue.

Here's the point: If Chrysler ever learned that you pulled more than 2500 pounds and you had a claim related anything that might be blamed on the load you will quickly discover what it feels like to be saddled with repair bills for things that might otherwise have been covered by the warranty.

I'm telling you my DJ owners friends........ the Dodge dealer director where I bought my vehicle HIMSELF told me that I could tow 3500 lbs with the Pentastar..... and I tried it !!!!

I'm sure the dealer would tell you just about anything you wanted to hear after you bought the car from him. In fact he probably has some land for you in Florida for sale right now.

Numerous people including a Chrylser rep have advised you that HP and torque are not the only considerations when coming up with a towing number figure, to quote Chris B. "Many things can impact tow ratings such as suspension, tire size, gearing, tuning, wheel base, vehicle weight" to name a few

So go ahead and tow 3500# or more, let's hope for your sake you never have to make a warranty claim because as someone else said, you have already admitted to all of us and to Chrysler that you have exceeded the recommended amount which voids any and all warranties. Just my thoughts......

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• Official Dodge Support

You all make good points here and I hope for your safety and the safety of others that everyone follows what is in the owners manual and not what a salesman at a dealership or what some posting on the internet suggests.

First, the director of the dealer where I bought my vehicle told me that I could tow 3500lbs BEFORE I bought it. Looks like false advertising to me. You guys are talking about warranty and safety ? I'm talking about bullshitting customers just to make a sale... Don't look furthermore to know why American car makers in general are having so much trouble retaining their buyers and make them stick to their brands if they keep bullshitting them.... The director told me I could tow 3500lbs... then guess what... I'll do it.... Pseudo experts here can stick to their opinion, I stick to mine... Thanks !

Edited by InVIcTuS

First, the director of the dealer where I bought my vehicle told me that I could tow 3500lbs BEFORE I bought it. Looks like false advertising to me. You guys are talking about warranty and safety ? I'm talking about bullshitting customers just to make a sale... Don't look furthermore to know why American car makers in general are having so much trouble retaining their buyers and make them stick to their brands if they keep bullshitting them.... The director told me I could tow 3500lbs... then guess what... I'll do it.... Pseudo experts here can stick to their opinion, I stick to mine... Thanks !

Dont post on a forum if you dont value opinions !!!! the fact of the matter is that car sales men, and yes even dodge dealer directors will tell you want you want to hear to make a sale. Im not generalizing and saying that all are bad and YES, some will lie to your face and in the end its your car and if something ever happens where they say you voided your warentee and abused your car then you got nobody to blame but yourself. Will something happen, who knows, but im sure if something does go wrong that same dierector will be the first to say that the manual only says you can only tow 2500 lbs !!!

Edited by biohazard

As biohazard said...

I'm one of those "pseudo" experts. I've probably been towing things for longer than you have been alive and I've towed everything from a 4x8 utility trailer, right on up to my current 11,600 lb. 5the wheel and that includes every kind of cargo from bricks, boats, tractors and RVs; bumper pull, goose neck and 5th wheel. Never, have I exceeded the manufacturer's gross combined vehicle weight limits, nor their axle limits, nor their payload limits. Been at the ragged edge? Yes, but, never over and those few times were nerve wracking enough. Those limits are there for a lot of reasons. Whether your salesman lied, whether he was mistaken (cars change a lot from model year to model year and I've always been amazed that some know as much as they do, while others may not be able to remember all the changes; I don't always assume the salesman is going to "lie" to me; he, himself may not know), you are now aware of the "limits" and what he said has no bearing on whether the car will sustain damage, whether you kill everyone in the car, or whether you kill someone else that just happens to be in your way when the rear end drops out of your car, your brakes fail going down a mountain or the front end suspension prevents you from steering because it collapsed.

Sorry you feel that way, but, I'm equally glad I don't live near you or am likely to be anywhere where you might be towing grossly overloaded. If you don't think accidents happen from overloading, peruse the internet...there are plenty of examples that show your kind of thinking.

• Official Dodge Support

So let's recap this thread.

You blame Dodge for lowering the tow ratings on the Journey after a redesign. Don't really seem to be too upset with dealer in first post, just Dodge's fault. Then the dealer is blamed for lying to make a sale. Also, false advertising is alleged when nowhere is it advertised or printed by Dodge that the tow weight is anything other than 2,500 pounds. Lastly, it is clear that you know what the tow rating of your vehicle is at this time and you will choose to ignore it.

Seems to me you started this thread to boast you tow more than what the vehicle is designed for, as even the thread title indicates as much. Now it's all American car manufacturers are struggling because they are deceiving their customers. I find that ironic, considering you started this thread to deceive people that they could tow more because you did it.

I really fear this topic is going to create a back and forth drama of what can be towed safely... Im closure can we just say to look in your owners manual and be done with it :) !?!?!? Also can we get an ADMIN to close this topic and leave it up as a reminder of why one shouldn't tow more then the rated amount based on safey issues and not assume you can tow more just because of the DRIVETRAIN alone...

Unfortunately other pseudo experts share the road with you..

And like or not we are not lying to you as the director you mentioned. If you have an accident the liabilities will be 100% on you. Your insurance will step aside...

Really, we mention this to you cause we are your journey buddies.. nothing else, we're no going to sell you a car.

Anyway, drive carefully.