• Official Dodge Support

This is the latest bulletin to be released.

NUMBER: 08-032-13
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: May 08, 2013

SUBJECT:
Flash: No Audio From The Radio Caused By The Amplifier Not Communicating
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves re-flashing the Amplifier with updated software.
MODELS:
2011 - **2013** (JC) Journey
2011 - **2013** (LD) Charger
2011 - **2013** (LX) 300
NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built on and before April 06, 2013 (MDH
0406XX) equipped with 368 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD6).
NOTE: This bulletin applies to LD, LX vehicles built before April 06, 2013 (MDH
0406XX) equipped with 276 Watt Amplifier (sales code RD7) or 506 Watt
Amplifier (sales code RFD) or 552 Watt amplifier (saels code RDS).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may indicate that there is no audio and/or radio is muted. This condition may
be caused by the amplifier not communicating on the bus.
Flashing the amplifier will correct this condition.

That's unfortunate to hear, I was hoping they would have found a fix for you. I guess we'll just have to wait until the bulletin comes out at the end of the month and see if that is going to make any difference. If anyone has taken the stock sub out of their Journey, I would be interested to learn the results of hooking it up to an aftermarket amp to see if you can actually drive the thing to sound like a sub. It would at least point us in some direction as to whether the amp is sending the right signal to the sub. Alternatively, hook an after market sub to the amp and see what happens.

My issue is not having no sound from the radio, so the flash isn't going to help me. I'm just going to buy an aftermarket powered sub-woofer and be done with it. I can get a nice self-powered sub for about 200 bucks. I'll record a before and after once it's done. You'll see. err..hear what I'm talking about.

Edited by senah

The symptoms are no sound or muted sound. You can still have sound and be affected by this problem.

so muted as in lower volume that what should be... everything seems to be fine but it does sound weak compared to the 2010 that we traded in, when i go to the dealership just tell them about the update ???

• Official Dodge Support
so muted as in lower volume that what should be... everything seems to be fine but it does sound weak compared to the 2010 that we traded in, when i go to the dealership just tell them about the update ???

Yes. I would mention it to them so they can look it up.

Exact same issue you have. It's very weak as if there is no amplification driving the sub. If you get this flash done, let me know how it turns out as I'm done with the dealer for now.

I haven't picked up my DJ yet (not due until the 3rd of June), but I remember what it sounded like when I test drove a similar model with the upgraded sound package. I specifically noted the lack of bass impact for a vehicle that had a subwoofer. Looking at the TSB that Chris had posted the bulletin only affects DJ's with a build date before April 6, my DJ should then theoretically have had the update from factory. If biohazard doesn't post his results before I get my DJ I'll post back what my impressions are vs. what I noticed during my test drive.

I'm disappointed to read the comments about the poor sound. Despite the fact that I work for a dealer, I've never had the opportunity to sit in one of the newer Journeys and actually listen to the sound. We currently do not have any in stock and the last one was not equipped with the upgrade. Honestly, if it were a stand-alone option I would have skipped it because its not that important to my family who will be riding in it most times while I'm at work. We wanted navigation and the ParkSense system with the camera and the Alpine system is bundled with it. I was excited to sit and listent to some music in the car once we get it (any day now) but now my expectations have been lowered somewhat. I rechecked TSB's for my VIN and I am current with all software, so this latest TSB does not apply to me. I'll let you all know how mine sounds.

I'm really surprised by the lack of bass response. When I first ordered the car, I began perusing the Dodge site looking for specs on the system besides number of speakers and output power. I found a press release about the sound system from 2011 and it had a link to the Alpine site which describes their systems as installed in Dodge products:

http://www.experiencealpine.com/dodge/

Much to my surprise, all but two of the drivers in the vehicle are woofers. I would have expected midbass or full-range drivers in at least the rear doors to compliment the smaller drivers in the dash. If anything, I expected the system to have too much bass. From what I'm reading, that is certainly not the case. In any event, I'm still looking forward to listening to the stereo in the car -perhaps some of these issues have been addressed and put into production already, one can hope. Still waiting for the damn car to come...arrrghh!

Mine didn't take long at all when I ordered it. Ordered March 14, came in and picked it up on April 20. Like 5 weeks tops. Of course, I do live in Texas, which transportation is pretty quick from the factory in Mexico.

Mine was built on April 25 but did not reach the NJ depot until May 8. Now here it is on the 14th, the car is 100 miles away, and nearly a week has gone by and it's still not here. That's the frustrating part - it's just sitting there. My 300M was four weeks from order to delivery. I was amazed at how quickly it was built and delivered. Like you, I live much closer to the plant where they are made than Mexico.

Re-reading many of these posts, it sounds to me like there is a basic issue with the amplifier's crossover network - as if there is a gap between the lowest frequencies the 6x9's in the door speakers can reproduce and the highest frequencies the sub can produce. Let's say, for example, the 6x9's low frequency response goes down to 300Hz and the sub's frequency response extends up to 300Hz. The crossover should direct any frequencies below 300Hz to the sub and not the 6x9's. Based on what I'm reading, the crossover is not directing the upper bass frequencies to the sub and instead the 6x9's are trying to reproduce them but cannot. Meanwhile, the sub sits idle because nothing is being directed to it except the very lowest frequencies. Now, I'm definitely armchair QB-ing this issue since I don't even own the car yet - but I'd be willing to bet there is a basic flaw in the crossover network's architecture based solely on the consistency of the complaints I've read. I should really reserve judgement until I hear it for myself, though...

Re-reading many of these posts, it sounds to me like there is a basic issue with the amplifier's crossover network - as if there is a gap between the lowest frequencies the 6x9's in the door speakers can reproduce and the highest frequencies the sub can produce. Let's say, for example, the 6x9's low frequency response goes down to 300Hz and the sub's frequency response extends up to 300Hz. The crossover should direct any frequencies below 300Hz to the sub and not the 6x9's. Based on what I'm reading, the crossover is not directing the upper bass frequencies to the sub and instead the 6x9's are trying to reproduce them but cannot. Meanwhile, the sub sits idle because nothing is being directed to it except the very lowest frequencies. Now, I'm definitely armchair QB-ing this issue since I don't even own the car yet - but I'd be willing to bet there is a basic flaw in the crossover network's architecture based solely on the consistency of the complaints I've read. I should really reserve judgement until I hear it for myself, though...

Im thinking the newest update describes exactly what you are talking about in regards to the head unit not communicating properly with the sub ;) I wont be looking into this until my next oil change, next month, so I will report back once I talk to them but i can attest to the lack of bass compared to the infinity system of our 2010....

My 2012 r/t is lacking of bass also but unfortunately never had a chance to compare it with infinity sound system of lower year model so i cant comment with this... But obviuosly far inferior of sound system of other car ive been!! Since im not sure if they set it up using aftermarket systems! Bottom line is im jealous :-) with thier sound system! Probably, i'll be trying to discuss about this with my dealer on my next change oil.

Will be happy if it can improve...

Well, our new Journey arrived at my dealership today. First thing I did was break out the Dire Straits CD in my car and loaded it in. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the sound of the system. Good, clean power, clear highs and definitely tight bass. I'm not one for overpowering bass unless that is how the artist intended it, but this system is definitely not lacking. I did not have to increase it more than a couple of bars on the EQ to suit my taste. I went to the back of the car and listened to the sub and it is definitely moving air. I have to assume that the latest software flash has improved its performance or Alpine has re-engineered the crossover in the amp. My opinion, however, is based on this threads' observations vs. what I have heard today. And please bear in mind that I only got to sample the system for a few minutes. But I liked what I heard. Right now the car is up on the lift getting the hitch and splash guards put on. Tomorrow we'll finish prepping it, and I'll take delivery on Saturday after work. Looking forward to more music!!

Well, our new Journey arrived at my dealership today. First thing I did was break out the Dire Straits CD in my car and loaded it in. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the sound of the system. Good, clean power, clear highs and definitely tight bass. I'm not one for overpowering bass unless that is how the artist intended it, but this system is definitely not lacking. I did not have to increase it more than a couple of bars on the EQ to suit my taste. I went to the back of the car and listened to the sub and it is definitely moving air. I have to assume that the latest software flash has improved its performance or Alpine has re-engineered the crossover in the amp. My opinion, however, is based on this threads' observations vs. what I have heard today. And please bear in mind that I only got to sample the system for a few minutes. But I liked what I heard. Right now the car is up on the lift getting the hitch and splash guards put on. Tomorrow we'll finish prepping it, and I'll take delivery on Saturday after work. Looking forward to more music!!

You sir, have just increased my excitement for the arrival of my DJ... the one I test drove was definitely not moving air. Alas, I'm still close to 3 weeks out. ):

• 3 weeks later...