Bought a new 2013 Crew, with the Sound upgrade package. For a 386 AMP with Sub, the Alpine system sounds terrible. There is no Bass at all. What an I missing. I did adjust to max, and still no BUMP to the music. This is the same system I have in my Challenger (Sound Group II) and it does not even come close. Is there a TSB to re-flash this horrible sounding system?

Pretty much everyone has the same complaint. Unfortuneatly there is nothing that can be done short of changing out the sub for a 10" one which is alot of work as the whole rear panel needs to come out. We went from a 2010(infinity sound system) to a 2013(alpine system), both with the upgraded system and was very dissappointed with the newer one. Our 2010 BUMPED hard and our 2013 lacks bass like you said. I grew up tinkering around with aftermarket sound systems and what i can notice is that the older systems(infinity sound) had a more full range bass and the newer(alpine sound) seems to have had the EQ in the amp modified to bump only at deeper frequencies of bass. Thats the only thing i can think of is that alpine likes a more tighter bass and has adjusted the amp accordingly. Other then that im just as frustrated as you are about it !!!

yes it is possible but I dont know how your stock speakers will fair with that upgrade. As is the stock speakers take a pounding so upgrading the amp will prob result in blowing them after a short time. If you are thinking about changing out the amp then I would probably look into upgrading the speakers also. I have heard that upgrading the sub only will result in better bass quality although still not up to aftermarket standards. I am looking into getting mine done this summer so will let you guys know the results.

I've switched the speakers except the sub, the sound improved a lot, is it only changing the Sub amp can push the sub stronger. The sub is 8 or 10 "? Someone has changed the sub?'s Easy?

But to change the amp, you lose the warranty, pq cut wires. Has some amp plug-and-play?

Edited by dirceuximenes

I've switched the speakers except the sub, the sound improved a lot, is it only changing the Sub amp can push the sub stronger. The sub is 8 or 10 "? Someone has changed the sub?'s Easy?

But to change the amp, you lose the warranty, pq cut wires. Has some amp plug-and-play?

exactly said about the warranty part, Im pretty sure just by changing out the speakers you have already voided that if they want to be pricks about it. Stock sub is 8" but a 10" will fit with alittle fitting, I know members have done it here but so far have not seen and before/during/after pics :( .... the thing with changing the speakers is if you put a more powerful one in then the stock amp may not be able to push them as loud. (example : stock speakers 50watt RSM(constant power) with an amp that pushes 50 watt RMS will sound loader then that same amp with lets say 100 watt RMS speakers). They may sound clearer but will not hit with the same loudness as the stock amp as 50 watts RMS cannot push a speaker that is rated for 100 watts RMS to its full potential thus losing some sound. The key with speaker and sub setups is to balance so that the amp is pushing the speakers to its full potential that it was meant to push out. The reason a sub replacement mod works so well is that all you do is take the stoch 8" 100watt RMS sub and change it for a 10" 100 watt RMS sub, that way you will get stronger bass response while still keeping the maximum amount of power pushing the sub. im not trying to say im an expert by any means, not trying to matter of fact the situation, just my general knowledge that I have learned through the years... :)

Edited by biohazard

Is there any way to make a complaint to Chrysler to see if they can correct the sound system? I know they can create a flash program to correct the severe weak sounding bass issues. With a 368 watt amp, it should be sounding way better than this.

As a side note, on my business trip a week ago, Avis gave me 2013 SXT rental. The stock system actually sounded better than the upgraded one I have. It had moe bass than the upgraded system. I'm pretty upset for the option I ordered on my vehicle. What a waste of money........unhappy customer.

Edited by senah

Is there any way to make a complaint to Chrysler to see if they can correct the sound system? I know they can create a flash program to correct the severe weak sounding bass issues. With a 368 watt amp, it should be sounding way better than this.

As a side note, on my business trip a week ago, Avis gave me 2013 SXT rental. The stock system actually sounded better than the upgraded one I have. It had moe bass than the upgraded system. I'm pretty upset for the option I ordered on my vehicle. What a waste of money........unhappy customer.

Just remember, the 368 watt amp is shared between 6 speakers and a sub. It's not dedicated to just the sub.

• Official Dodge Support

Senah,

If you would like to contact Chrysler regarding this issue they can be reached at one of the numbers below. They can work with the dealership to get the issue taken care of for you.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

Just remember, the 368 watt amp is shared between 6 speakers and a sub. It's not dedicated to just the sub.

Yes, I know that. I have the same system in my Challenger, and it sounds x1000 times better. I'm starting to think its the head unit in the car.

2013 Crew w/223 miles on it.

Got an appointment to have the DRL's enabled and to check out the sub-woofer. Using my Ipod playing a song that I know that has some punch to the bass, I went to the back area where the sub is located and put my ear up it. It is so weak and flat.....This system needs help. Not sure if the 386 amp configuration is borked, or it's a very cheap sub-woofer.

Word to the wise, do not opt for the upgraded sound system. Unless they can fix this thing, it's worthless the way it is right now. I'll post back after I visit the dealer.

Edited by senah

2013 Crew w/223 miles on it.

Got an appointment to have the DRL's enabled and to check out the sub-woofer. Using my Ipod playing a song that I know that has some punch to the bass, I went to the back area where the sub is located and put my ear up it. It is so weak and flat.....This system needs help. Not sure if the 386 amp configuration is borked, or it's a very cheap sub-woofer.

Word to the wise, do not opt for the upgraded sound system. Unless they can fix this thing, it's worthless the way it is right now. I'll post back after I visit the dealer.

Interested to see what is found out, I know our 2013 is not as bassy as our 2010 was and am also disappointed with the upgrade...

Interested to hear the outcome on this one. My DJ is still on order and I was looking forward to having the sub to add that deeper bass punch. Hopefully there is an easy solution.

Dude, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will be very disappointed with it. I have a 2010 Challenger with the 386 amp and sub-woofer, the option is called Sound Group II. 6 speakers with sub. Same as the Journey, or I thought it would be very close. Ahhh, not even close. In the Challenger, with Bass set a "7" the outside mirrors are bumping, the Journey, at "9" cannot even get the rearview mirror to vibrate. Yeah it's that weak. :(

If the dealer cannot do anything about it, which I suspect, and I highly doubt Dodge would even bother or tweak the firmware of the system, I'm going to see what the sub P/N is on my Challenger and order one to replace the weak one in the Journey. Also, the Challenger uses the Boston Acoustic speakers. This could also be a factor in the sound. The Journey is just flat across the whole spectrum for a lack of better words.

• Official Dodge Support

There are a couple radio and amplifier fixes that will be coming out, hopefully by the end of the month. I see them listed on upcoming bulletins but until them come out I do not know exactly what they will address. I will post them when they are released.

Thanks for the response Chris. I know you probably can't divulge too much until they come out, but are we talking firmware or hardware? Will it already be implemented on a new Journey that is still being built at the factory?

• Official Dodge Support
Thanks for the response Chris. I know you probably can't divulge too much until they come out, but are we talking firmware or hardware? Will it already be implemented on a new Journey that is still being built at the factory?

Unfortunately I won't have that info until it comes out. It's not that I know and can't say, I just do not know. Sorry.

Update: Got the DRL's enabled at the dealer today (took 10 minutes tops and no charge).

They also looked/listened at the sub-woofer issue. He told me the sub-woofer in the back was basically dead (there is sound, but severely distorted) and was sorry this happened on my new car. He needs me to come back on Monday and leave it with them so they can troubleshoot it. He suspects it's either the 386 amp or the sub. I'm just glad they confirmed the issue. I have faith in Dodge to get this fixed up.

For the Dodge Support guy, Chris, should I have them call you before they do anything, or what is your best course of action I should take? Thanks.

Edited by senah

• Official Dodge Support
Update: Got the DRL's enabled at the dealer today (took 10 minutes tops and no charge).

They also looked/listened at the sub-woofer issue. He told me the sub-woofer in the back was basically dead (there is sound, but severely distorted) and was sorry this happened on my new car. He needs me to come back on Monday and leave it with them so they can troubleshoot it. He suspects it's either the 386 amp or the sub. I'm just glad they confirmed the issue. I have faith in Dodge to get this fixed up.

For the Dodge Support guy, Chris, should I have them call you before they do anything, or what is your best course of action I should take? Thanks.

It sounds like the dealership is on top of the issue. If they cannot figure it out they will call our STAR Center for tech support. They need to diagnose the issue first before a solution can be determined or if a lack of solution exists yet. Post back up what they find please.

So they ripped apart the rear and replaced the sub-woofer. The tech noted it was not working properly. However, after the replacement, there is no change in bass output. The tech just says, it's within specs. Whatever that suppose to mean. This 8 inch sub-woofer is just plain pathetic or underpowered. Seriously, you could disconnect the sub and your ears wouldn't even know the difference. I'm just upset I spent the money for a sound group upgrade and not getting much for it and the fact my new car interior was just pulled apart and scuffed in some areas. Ehhh.. so goes the new-ness. LOL

I suppose I just need trash this lousy sound system and start over with something that is at least decent.

Edited by senah

That's unfortunate to hear, I was hoping they would have found a fix for you. I guess we'll just have to wait until the bulletin comes out at the end of the month and see if that is going to make any difference. If anyone has taken the stock sub out of their Journey, I would be interested to learn the results of hooking it up to an aftermarket amp to see if you can actually drive the thing to sound like a sub. It would at least point us in some direction as to whether the amp is sending the right signal to the sub. Alternatively, hook an after market sub to the amp and see what happens.