Iphone 5 with uconnect

Has anyone had any experience connecting an IPhone5 to the Uconnect system. I'm due for an upgrade in March for a new phone and am considering the IPhone5 but I came across a bunch of sites of people experiencing trouble with syncing it to the UConnect system in different Dodge models. I just want to make sure I have a phone I can operate via bluetooth before I change it.

I just did a quick "compatibility" test at the bluetooth/uconnect site for pairing:

http://chrysler.servigistics.com/query.action?brand=Dodge&country=US&region=NAFTA&request_locale=en

It lists the iPhone 5 as compatible and has pairing directions.

Unfortunately for me, I use TracFone and have a "not quite smart" phone (an LG 800). It pairs, but, it won't allow use of the phone book. All my other MOPARs had/have the MyGig system and they worked perfectly with my TracFone. Got the Journey and it won't work. Oh well. I didn't buy the car for the UConnect system anyway, but, you would think that it would work with more than a handful of the latest smart phones; there are a lot of us out there that don't want the complexity of a smart phone, nor the expense, but, MOPAR doesn't seem to think that we're (non-smartphone owners) not too important. At least it pairs and if I get a call, I can answer, but, to make a call, I've either got to remember the number so that I can "voice" it while driving or I have to pull over and use my phone to look up the number in the contacts or just use the phone to make the call. Not very convenient... Maybe the UConnect folks or LG will come up with software updates to expand the phone compatibility to more types of phones.

When I paired my HTC Incredible it did the same thing,

I deleted the pairing and did it again and this time a box

came up (you have to tick) and it said ALLOW UPLOADING

OF PHONEBOOK.

Worked like a charm.

I also had a problem with "0000" code so changed to "2002"

at the same time.

Edited by bigtsr

I tried the same thing (unpaired and re-paired the phone(s), the wife has the same phone). It said it was downloading the phonebook, but, no phone book was shown on the screen any of the times that I attempted the pairing... It pairs and I can dial from the screen, but, no phone books or contacts are available from the UConnect system. I even contacted the UConnect Support Team; no luck. They have evidently assumed that everyone owns a smart phone and that's all they planned for. Our phones pair OK, so we can receive a call, and with the RER MyGig system they download the phonebook just fine...just won't work with the Garmin 8.4N system used in the Journey. It is an annoyance for the most part as we don't use our cell phones except for emergencies (you have to go 8 miles away from our house to get even a weak signal) or when traveling and we don't use the Journey for traveling; that's what we have the RAM 2500 LongHorn for and it has the MyGig system which works perfectly with our phones. Now I know...next car I get, look for one with the MyGig system and not the Garmin system.

Edited by webslave

It is possible that they did a rewrite of the software for the 8.4N system. It says it has downloaded the phonebook on the screen during the pairing, but, when you check, there's nothing there...in fact, the tab for the phonebook is grayed out and all it does is "boink" at you when you touch it. The setup process thinks it is loading it, but, the software doesn't do anything about enabling it. The UConnect folks said, basically, "that's too bad...". One thing interesting I found out when dealing with the UConnect folks...evidently the MyGig units actually store the phone book on the hard drive (MyGig has a 30GB hard drive), in fact, with no phone paired, I can still view my phone book, while the 8.4N units have no memory at all...what the display shows is a download of the phone's contact list that is only held as long as the car is running; each time you start the car and the phone pairs, it copies the phonebook all over again. Found that rather odd, but, it saves them having to install an SSD or a hard drive for the units. The music also works the same way...on my Jeep and the RAM 2500, the music, once copied from a memory stick, is stored on the hard drive until you delete it; no need to leave in the car or have a dedicated memory stick in order to play the music, unlike the Journey where it will play ripped CDs as long the USB drive (or SD card) is present. Pull it out and your music disappears. I think I like the MyGig system better...but, I suppose the 30 GB hard drive introduces some complexity and longevity issues. I haven't looked at the price break, but, I paid a good bit more for the Jeep Commander and the RAM 2500 HD LongHorn than I did the Journey, even the R/T version...that may explain the "high end" RER unit in those vehicles.

You should be OK... I don't think the carrier really has all that much to do with the compatibility. Unlike TracFone that has added proprietary software on their phones, I don't think the Bell Mobility adds anything to drastically change the iPhone 5's operating software. I'd certainly give it a go...worse case scenario is that you have the same problem I do; phone pairs and everything except the phonebook works as it should.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It works, but Siri sure doesn't on the 8.4N in a 2013. Would be nice if Apple actually put the proper protocols on their phones so Voice to Text worked properly with out siri (My Windows phone works flawlessly for this in my 8.4N and in my previous 200's uConnect stack)

• 1 month later...

Before buying my iphone 5, I checked the Dodge Uconnect site to make sure it was listed as a phone that was compatible. It was and so I now have my Iphone which will not connect with the uconnect system on my 2011 Dodge Journey. During a conversation with the "help" personnel, I was told there is a glitch and they are working on it. No time frame-just working on it. I feel it was false advertising to show the iphone 5 as a compatible phone with their system. Their suggestion-keep trying to pair it, eventually they will fix it!

• Official Dodge Support

Before buying my iphone 5, I checked the Dodge Uconnect site to make sure it was listed as a phone that was compatible. It was and so I now have my Iphone which will not connect with the uconnect system on my 2011 Dodge Journey. During a conversation with the "help" personnel, I was told there is a glitch and they are working on it. No time frame-just working on it. I feel it was false advertising to show the iphone 5 as a compatible phone with their system. Their suggestion-keep trying to pair it, eventually they will fix it!

Is the password lock set to "ON" ? If it is set to "Off" it will not pair. I would check it just in case, as I have heard of no glitch that has yet to be fixed on the 2011 models for this problem.

• 2 weeks later...

When I still had my iPhone 5 sometimes it would not connect despite the pairing already being done. Usually restarting the phone would help/resolve the issue entirely.

However, if you turn on your wifi hotspot while streaming audio.. Prepare for a world of annoying (buffering pretty much explodes)

• 5 years later...