Driver's Seat Position

ohionative

I'm having the hardest time in finding the perfect seat postion for my new Dodge Journey. Sometimes I think that I like it up high, but then it starts to hurt my leg and the rear view mirror blocks my visibility. A lower setting is often more comfortable on the front of my leg, but then I feel that I am too far from the steering wheel and the upper part of my leg starts to hurt. The positions in-between just aren't comfortable at all. The car was comfortable for about a week but is now killing my back and leg. Have others had the same problem? And do you prefer the higher or lower seating positions? I'm to the point that I wish I had bought another car...

Edited by ohionative

I have power seats with the lumbar support and have it in the low position. I find it is extremely comfortable. I've always positioned my seats so I'm far from the steering wheel. Do you keep your wallet in your right back pocket or left? Many years ago I kept mine in my right pocket and had a problem with my right hip and leg. I switched to the left and I've not had a problem since. If you have the lumbar support try changing it occasionally and see if that works. I also try to keep my seat straight instead of leaning back. Works for me. Good luck.

I'm having the hardest time in finding the perfect seat postion for my new Dodge Journey. Sometimes I think that I like it up high, but then it starts to hurt my leg and the rear view mirror blocks my visibility. A lower setting is often more comfortable on the front of my leg, but then I feel that I am too far from the steering wheel and the upper part of my leg starts to hurt. The positions in-between just aren't comfortable at all. The car was comfortable for about a week but is now killing my back and leg. Have others had the same problem? And do you prefer the higher or lower seating positions? I'm to the point that I wish I had bought another car...

Not knowing what your body structure is like i couldn't tell what way is more comfortable but your DJ should have a telescoping steering wheel that you can pull forward to help with low and further back settings. I can tell you that I do find mine to be very comfortable especially going on long trips.

These apparently have the Avenger 6-way power seat mechanism, except in reality it is closer to a 5-way. The two height adjustments don't pivot on two points (like every other car with power seats over the past 30+ years). Instead there is no pivot... there is simply a height adjustment, and then an adjustment that raises/lowers your knees. You can't tilt from the height adjustments... which in an Avenger/200 is absolutely horrible, but it works quite well for me in the Journey.

I typically put the seat at a middle height, with the knee adjustment all the way up. Then the lumbar all the way to the bottom and out about 1/4. I pull the steering wheel all the way out, adjust the seat for the appropriate leg room, and then lock in the steering wheel height. At this point I can grip the top of the steering wheel with my hand with my elbow completely straight. Then when I get on the road I do very minor tweaks to both the lumbar and the knee height adjustments. Once I'm set I can ride for several hours like this.

Oh yeah, and I always empty my pockets before driving, both fronts and rears.

I have had my Journey for seven months now and find the seats far more comfortable then my 2001 Grand Caravan. I couldn't drive more then two hours in the Grand Caravan without my right knee hurting.

Not so with the Journey. I tried many different seating positions until I decided on the one I liked the best. The different positions I tried were for only to try and maximize my visibility looking outside, and none of the positions caused me to have any discomfort. I finally settled on what I would term a postion between low and mid height.

Have you tried adjusting the seat back angle, as it could be your spine angle that is putting pressure on a nerve in your leg. For me a seat back position just short of being straight up the most comfortable. To far up, I can feel pressure on my spine and to far back I just don't feel comfortable at all.

I would suggest having a pencil and paper handy and then try some different seating positions. After each adjustment write down what you think the seat height is, how far back from the steering wheel you have the seat at, whether you have the seat tilting down or up, and seat back angle. Then take the Journey for a sping and see how you like the comfort and see how it feels. Repeat the process and when you find one you like, make sure you keep a copy of the adjustments. In that way, if you take the vehicle in for service, or someone drives your vehicle and they change the seating position it will be easier to return it to what you find comfortable.

Unfortunately I should have gotten a Journey with power seats. I have found a position that is the most bearable but not great. Oh well, lesson learned. I will never again buy a car without renting the particular model for a few days. I am calling tomorrow to cancel the extended warranty that they talked me into as I won't be keeping the car long enough to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, thank goodness after two weeks of obsessing I have found the perfect position. It consists of five pulls up on the seat lever from the lowest postion, allowing for the perfect combination of comfort and visibility.

Glad that you found the "sweet spot" for driver comfort. Like Rolly says enjoy the vehicle, its awesome.