WINTER TIRES

coyoteben

Just came back form the dealer for an oil change on my Journey R/T with 19 inches wheels.

No Winter tires are available for this size YET.

Chrysler (or is it my dealer?) recommand 16 inches wheels for my winter tires.

Assuming anyway that I am obligated by law to buy winter tires, this is the extra money I'll pay for the 2 years location of my 2009 Journey R/T.

The service guy told me I had to buy :

4X16 inches wheels ( 76$+ taxes ea.)============> 304.00$

4X tire pressure captors(mandatory) 59.12$+tx ea.)===>236.48$

For a total of ============================>540.48$ +GST+PST ==>610.07$

HEY! CHRYSLER! HELLO!...WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!! YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORKS BEFORE GIVING THE 19 INCHES WHEELS OPTION!

If you want to stay with your 19 inches wheels, there is a way. The original tire size is 225/55/19.

For the winter, you can put 255/50/19. The only diffenrence is that your speedometer reading will be 1% too slow. 1% is not a big difference. In this size, you'll have choice for winter tires.

The only thing is that 19 inches tires are very expensive!

The only thing is that 19 inches tires are very expensive!

Not only are 19" tires expensive, but they generally suck in the snow regardless of what you put on. On top of this, I'm willing to bet that if you bought 19 inch "winter" tires, you probably would be looking at more money than buying the 16" tires, rims, and pressure sensor units.

I just ran a quick cursory search on Kuhmo 255/55/19 and the price I got was $224/tire. Based off of that, if you reshod with 19" snow tires at that price (you know that they would probably be more than $224), you're up to $900

The 16" option seems like a lot, but if the cost happened to be the same as the 19 inch, I'd still go with the 16" for the winter. Better traction, less impacted snow/ice problems in the rims, and the disc brakes probably would see less salt.

Just came back form the dealer for an oil change on my Journey R/T with 19 inches wheels.

No Winter tires are available for this size YET.

Chrysler (or is it my dealer?) recommand 16 inches wheels for my winter tires.

Assuming anyway that I am obligated by law to buy winter tires, this is the extra money I'll pay for the 2 years location of my 2009 Journey R/T.

The service guy told me I had to buy :

4X16 inches wheels ( 76$+ taxes ea.)============> 304.00$

4X tire pressure captors(mandatory) 59.12$+tx ea.)===>236.48$

For a total of ============================>540.48$ +GST+PST ==>610.07$

HEY! CHRYSLER! HELLO!...WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!! YOU GUYS SHOULD HAVE DONE YOUR HOMEWORKS BEFORE GIVING THE 19 INCHES WHEELS OPTION!

Yeah 19 inch tires are expensive, but so are a lot of other sizes. The prices you quote don't show a price for the actual tire or is that price included in the $76/wheel price, so you still didn't account for the actual price of the tire. If they are included you can beat $76 for a tire and rim. I bought my Journey with AWD & 19" rims were standard, they were the sharpest rims available as well. I knew going in that they were more pricey than the smaller sizes. Being that my Journey is an AWD, I'm not as concerned. My thought though is the vehicle being a FWD at minimum would give it better than average ability to go in the snow, at least that is my experience. Also where do you live? You said assuming you are obligated by law to buy winter tires????? I have never heard of that before. If it is law you need to move or tell the government mandating this to be better prepared to provide you safer roads to travel on that's what you are paying taxes for. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I probably will :talkhand: , don't blame Chrysler for a decision you made. Dodge is not the only Crossover Mfg offering 19 inch wheels. The 19 inch rims, which are sharp, come automatically with AWD and R/T (FWD & AWD), like I said AWD sort of decreases the need for snow tires and in general FWD do not do bad in snow. Try this link http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...um=245VR9BZLM25 . These Bridgestone Tires (Blizzak LM-25) are $215/tire, so shop around options are out there and if you shop you can always find a better deal.

It sounds like it is a law in Canada to have winter tires. This has not been the first time I have heard this. You would think you could get some slack with AWD. For here if chain law is in effect you can avoid putting chains on if you have AWD.

Just in the province of Quebec at this time. And this will be the first winter it is in effect for.

• 3 weeks later...

Winter tires here are a must. Over 60% of our states roads are Class III (aka....dirt). I live 1-1/2 miles out on one, on a hill, that gets pretty damn beat up during the winter. They don't use salt on the Class III roads, just sand, and you don't make it far w/o winter tires.

I've downsized from a 4x4 Suburban to an AWD SXT, this is my first AWD and am anxious to see how it will handle. But the 19" wheels won't last a season on these roads. I'm looking for a set of 17" wheels/tires so we can just swap out every fall/spring instead of re-mounting each time.

We knew this would be an issue when we bought it, but as mentioned, the 19" wheels are the only option on this model. Anyone have any OEM 17"ers they want to offload???LOL!

Picked up my 16' rims today-$480.00 taxes in

I said no to the tire pressure valve stems as I will drive around in the winter with the light on -on the dash- not worth $300 for something that was not necessary until 2008(another government BS move) along with Ontario's Etest cash grab

I'm getting wheel covers from ebay that look like the chrome spoke from my 2000 T&C so they should look half decent anyway

Hopefully I wont need them until december

Picked up my 16' rims today-$480.00 taxes in

I said no to the tire pressure valve stems as I will drive around in the winter with the light on -on the dash- not worth $300 for something that was not necessary until 2008(another government BS move) along with Ontario's Etest cash grab

I'm getting wheel covers from ebay that look like the chrome spoke from my 2000 T&C so they should look half decent anyway

Hopefully I wont need them until december

Was this rims only or with tires also?

Where did you purchase them?

I have a full set of 4 OEM 17" Journey alum. wheels without the TMP's. They have 6,000 miles on them. The tires and the rims are in great shape (No curb scrapes, etc.). They have brand new valve stems and have been rebalanced. I am asking $700 US. If anyone on this forum is interested you can email me at ccbenson@comcast.net.

I recently upgraded the the 17's to the OEM 19's (the only remaining option I wish I would have gotten when I bought the Journey).

• 4 weeks later...

My Journey is arriving in 10 days. I was pro-active looking for snows because of the odd size 255/55/19s. Just to let you know and hopefully save some of you time, the Dodge dealer couldnt find snows available. Firestone struck out, but Pep Boys found them from Tire Rack. I checked with Goodyear and they found four Goodyear Ultra-Grip snows. The other tire available is the Pirelli (zero?) snows. The Goodyears were around $210 each, and the Pirellis are around $196 each. I have run Blizzaks and Nokian snows on past cars. I have no reviews on the Goodyears/Pirelli on how well they are in snow.

Any recommendations on aftermarket chrome wheels for the stock 19" tires?

zman

My Journey is arriving in 10 days. I was pro-active looking for snows because of the odd size 255/55/19s. Just to let you know and hopefully save some of you time, the Dodge dealer couldnt find snows available. Firestone struck out, but Pep Boys found them from Tire Rack. I checked with Goodyear and they found four Goodyear Ultra-Grip snows. The other tire available is the Pirelli (zero?) snows. The Goodyears were around $210 each, and the Pirellis are around $196 each. I have run Blizzaks and Nokian snows on past cars. I have no reviews on the Goodyears/Pirelli on how well they are in snow.

Any recommendations on aftermarket chrome wheels for the stock 19" tires?

zman

I got the 16" steel wheels with 215/70/16-Winterforce

I got the 16" steel wheels with 215/70/16-Winterforce

Here in Germany the SE has tire size of 225/65-16. My winter tires are nice Fulda Supremo. Next year I´m gonna sell my 16 inches summer rims (got the car in october only with summer wheels) with Yokohama A-Spec with same size as winter and wanna buy some 19" or 20" wheels if the market offers then some nice and unique rims.

But in Germany you need for special rims a certificate from german TÜV (Technical Control Board) - where you also have to show your car every two years for security inspection (new cars after 3 years, then every 2). So let´s wait what they offer for Journeys which are currently very rare in Europe - but fortunately they have same bolt circle than i.e. Mitsubsihi (5x114,3) so could be a nice choice next spring.

I just ordered 4 Michelin X-ice winter tires for my SXT, 222/65/17 from my Dodge dealer. I had a hard time getting tires the right size. The local tire dealer could not come up with that size in any brand. I also tried Wal-mart and Canadian Tire and they couldn't come up with that size either. It seems that Quebec does have a law this year re winter tires and I figure the dealers there must have bought up a lot of tires from the manufacturers.

Oh, right, price ... ouch ... $978 including tax, installation, balancing, nitrogen. I have never had winter tires before but I make quite a few 25 miles trips at night in the winter and sometimes the roads are snow, black ice, slushy, etc. and it is tricky when passing. My journey just wants to go ... ever notice that??

Your dealer is giving you BS-I have a RT & my dealer sold me 16" steel rims with no problem & I put 215/70's on with no problem at all

The only issue is my "low pressure" light is on as I did not purchase the sensors for the wheels-but for the price of them I will ignore the light

Part #4721566AC

I have a SXT AWD and I too have 16" winters replacing my 19" OEM's. It was dealer recommended and they put them on. So there better still be warranty!

I have a feeling I'm running a smaller OD, but I'm too lazy to go to the garage and check the tire size.

Your dealer is giving you BS-I have a RT & my dealer sold me 16" steel rims with no problem & I put 215/70's on with no problem at all

The only issue is my "low pressure" light is on as I did not purchase the sensors for the wheels-but for the price of them I will ignore the light

Part #4721566AC

Look into the "interior" thread "Winter tires" and read what can happen. And for your own safety you don´t wanna spend some bucks? Bad desicion.