TPMS vs hand gauge and nitrogen question

lord journey

Hello family!!

I really need your help with a question about the TPMS and the hand gauge that I always use.

All my mopars are not equiped with tpms, only the basic alarm. But now, as you know, my 2012 Journey show each PSI in each tire with the TPMS.

my hand gauge is vey acurate... is a "monkey grip" brand. But now, with my new Journey, I checked with the hand gauge and I read 31 PSI. The EVIC in my dashboard shows 42... is the EVIC an acurate device?!!? I´m very worried about the correct tire presure in my Journey.

BTW, in all cars I always fill the tires with Nitrogen... I really like to use it, but in my Journey...Can I fill with nitrogen? I can´t remember where, but I read something that the sensor located in the rim, can get the correct info... but I don´t believe, I want your opinion, if the nitrogen can affect the TPMS sensor in each rim.

regards and thanx!!!

I have nitrogen in my tires - they came that way from the dealer. I'm not sure if it effects the TPMS readings or not since mine only has the idiot light that comes on when a tire is low. I would like to think that the dealer would not put nitrogen in if it negatively affects the TPMS system. As I understand it, nitrogen is better for the TPMS sensors since there is no moisture in the tire like you get with regular air.

I don't know anything about nitrogen. I just use regular air. But I've found the EVIC to be 2-3 pounds higher than my 2 hand gauges. I'd trust the hand gauge for actual pressure. The TPMS is just an early warning system to me, so I'm not unknowingly running flat on the road, risking blowing out in heavy traffic.