Gearbox fault

johny1fin

I have a UK 2.0 diesel with a faulty (thinks) gearbox.

Its a 6 speed auto with 2 clutches.

I have been having increasingly intermittent problems ranging from faulure to rev when comming out of neutral into forward or reverse to

Limp mode giving 2nd/rev only.

My local garage has tested and said its showing an internal controller fault.

Does this mean its the TCM.

If so am trying to souce a TCM at a price a lot less than the £2k+ the dealer wants + fitting.

They want £8k for a gearbox.

Any help would be appreciated from sourcing a new TCM/second hand auto box or help from Chrysler UK given its only 3 months out of warranty and only covered 56k miles.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a UK 2.0 diesel with a faulty (thinks) gearbox.

Its a 6 speed auto with 2 clutches.

I have been having increasingly intermittent problems ranging from faulure to rev when comming out of neutral into forward or reverse to

Limp mode giving 2nd/rev only.

My local garage has tested and said its showing an internal controller fault.

Does this mean its the TCM.

If so am trying to souce a TCM at a price a lot less than the £2k+ the dealer wants + fitting.

They want £8k for a gearbox.

Any help would be appreciated from sourcing a new TCM/second hand auto box or help from Chrysler UK given its only 3 months out of warranty and only covered 56k miles.

John

hi john. I have a dodge journey 2.0l diesel in the uk(london) and i had a problem with the drive shift,intermediate shift and slip diferrential from my 2009 dodge journey.I vent to the dealer and they told me that the gear box needs to be replaced and cost £8500.I took my car to a garage where they repair automatic gear box only and i bought the part from the scrap yard but you can buy the parts from the dealer as well but you need to wait for the parts.On this garage this guys they charge me £1600 to fixit including the parts.Now i got another problem with the gear box after they fixit.Now i have a delay on the gear box when i stop the car and put it back on drive.I need to go back to the garage after the holidays to see whats the problem.Did you experience any of this problems with you dodge journey?How did you fix your problem or not been done yet?If you need any iformations please dont hesitate to contact me.My email address it danielirimia78@yahoo.com.DANIEL

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys.

I have the same issue with 2.0L auto Diesel. While driving a got a strong smell of buring plastic or rubber. I pulled over and the smell went away. I drove on fine but 2 days later the transmission was slipping. I took it to a "gearbox expert" who took it apart and said the clutches were burned out.

when i called a dealer about the part it was under extended warrinty.... perfect. My "gearbox expert" put the gearbox back in and charged 700 euro for his efforts.

I towed the car 150miles to the nearest dealership, they fitted a dual clutch under warranty with cost of 250 euro for oil and filter. Now they say the car wont go into gear and it needs a new control unit @ 1,000euro which might not work or a new gearbox @ 10,000 euro WTF. This lemon is starting to effect my mental health.

Where did ye locate the used gearbox?

any help on this would were very much appriceated as i am rock bottom over this.

Thanks,

Jamie.

Hi Guys.

I have the same issue with 2.0L auto Diesel. While driving a got a strong smell of buring plastic or rubber. I pulled over and the smell went away. I drove on fine but 2 days later the transmission was slipping. I took it to a "gearbox expert" who took it apart and said the clutches were burned out.

when i called a dealer about the part it was under extended warrinty.... perfect. My "gearbox expert" put the gearbox back in and charged 700 euro for his efforts.

I towed the car 150miles to the nearest dealership, they fitted a dual clutch under warranty with cost of 250 euro for oil and filter. Now they say the car wont go into gear and it needs a new control unit @ 1,000euro which might not work or a new gearbox @ 10,000 euro WTF. This lemon is starting to effect my mental health.

Where did ye locate the used gearbox?

any help on this would were very much appriceated as i am rock bottom over this.

Thanks,

Jamie.

Why isnt this part, also under warranty coverage?

The drive train (engine, tranny, transaxle) has s much longer warranty than the standard bumper to bumper.

That is what I thought but I was told 3 year or 40,000 miles warranty whichever comes first.

I read a warrenty that Chrysler give 5 year warranty on the powertrain but i was told that mine has not....

Mine is 2009 60,000miles

Chrysler "Ireland" is beyond useless. "You have to contact your local dealer sir". arrrhhhh

latest Update:

The "control unit" has now become part of the Valve body or solenoid block which has become a 2,300 euro along with a disclaimer that this might not fix the problem and if not the part cannot be returned full cost on me.

I can't understand why I’m paying for the dealer’s incompetence? They should know the problem, fix it and charge me or cover it by warranty not try this and if it don't work we'll try another thing and charge you for that also. It feeling like I’m paying for these guy's training.

I would strongly discourage anybody for buying these cars.

Never oh never again will i buy a dodge.

• 3 years later...

I have the exact same problem 2009 Dodge journey six speed  I have the exact same problem 2009 Dodge journey six speed transmission I believe this is a design fault that needs to be recalled from the factory I replace the plate and electronics in Poland for 6600 is Lotties transmission

This work for a couple weeks and then the  this work for a couple weeks and then the transmission began to not change gear when it was cold outside transmission is messed up now the dealer wants me to replace the plate again

Edited by jkeaton
language

• 1 year later...

Wow, thanks to op for posting this, I've just figured out why this 2008 crd 2.0 won't go either then. It's reporting two shift forks stuck. Never knew the gearbox could stop the engine revving or accelerating. 

Ill be off to do box filters and fluid first then and maybe solenoids in the box if that don't cure it. 

Cheers, rossco