2012 RT rear brakes just done!!!

Well Went in for a oil/filter maintenance check and tire rotation.........Service writer came to me in the waiting room and said my rear brakes are going to be replace no cost to me ....pads and rotors.........ONLY 21000 km .....AND 5000 of these KM were highway driving from Ontario to Cape Breaton and Back!!!..(not much brakes used driving four 12 hour days).....So really it would only have about 16000 km without the highway trip..........WOW.......Not even a year old until Nov 2012........Service report said 100% worn...

Do they just do this to make money off Warrentee repairs?

I did not ask to see the pads/ rotors , due to no cost to me, but if I was paying ...I would have asked to see them......Because I can't beleive they were 100% worn out!!

They really need to address this issue nobody should be doing pads and rotors ever 9-12 mts................This will be my first and last Dodge if I need to do brakes every year........All my GM, lasted for years...........

How your 2012 journey holding up?

.....Caper/...........

I agree. Who wants to do brakes every year? I feel like that will not be the case. My question is this: why did you not demand to see the brakes and intensely query the tech as to reason they were worn out? Why just the rear brakes? I would have asked to see the front brakes too. Brakes worn out in 16000 km sounds nearly impossible. Do you rest you foot on the brake pedal? Did you have them check the parking brake? I feel like the pads could be faulty or the calipers malfunctioning. If you got a rotation, did the tech just grossly overtorque your wheels and massively warp your rotors?

I hope you do make them justify their claim with some physical evidence and a plausible theory corroborated by that physical evidence. I hate seeing customers get duped. Not saying you got duped, but I sincerely hope they are not sweeping something under the rug.

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman

Idk... My '11 caravan had the rear brakes and rotors replaced @ 9.6k miles.

I do believe, both the DJ & caravan use the same brakes. I've had multiple brake issues since I had an 08 caravan. I can feel the fronts starting to go too. Car is about 16 months old and 21k miles.

I simply don't think they have fixed the weak brakes from 08.

Luckily, my DJ is a VERY light use car (the wife has put 1,700 miles in 4 months). So I'm not worried about them.

Not suprised they needed doing, same brakes on caravans and journeys since 08-early 12. The pads stick in the caliper hanger/bracket, due to rust. Hopefully they did them right, and cleaned under the antirattle clips, and applied lots of antiseize. They need to be serviced yearly in the rust belt, front and rear.Pads need to move VERY freely and be well lubed to last on these vehicles.

Well Went in for a oil/filter maintenance check and tire rotation.........Service writer came to me in the waiting room and said my rear brakes are going to be replace no cost to me ....pads and rotors.........ONLY 21000 km .....AND 5000 of these KM were highway driving from Ontario to Cape Breaton and Back!!!..(not much brakes used driving four 12 hour days).....So really it would only have about 16000 km without the highway trip..........WOW.......Not even a year old until Nov 2012........Service report said 100% worn...

Do they just do this to make money off Warrentee repairs?

I did not ask to see the pads/ rotors , due to no cost to me, but if I was paying ...I would have asked to see them......Because I can't beleive they were 100% worn out!!

They really need to address this issue nobody should be doing pads and rotors ever 9-12 mts................This will be my first and last Dodge if I need to do brakes every year........All my GM, lasted for years...........

How your 2012 journey holding up?

.....Caper/...........

i have a brake issue on my 2012 rt.When it rains or while the road is wet when applying the brakes it makes funny noises like creaking and moaning.it is load but mostly when it rains and i hit the brakes rather hard. Anybody take their vehicle in for this.

i have a brake issue on my 2012 rt.When it rains or while the road is wet when applying the brakes it makes funny noises like creaking and moaning.it is load but mostly when it rains and i hit the brakes rather hard. Anybody take their vehicle in for this.

That sound may by your antilock brakes activating. I have activated mine only once and it was a freakin' death defying emergency, so I don't remember what they sounded like or if they made any weird noises. The antilock brakes on my wife's car do make some odd noises. My understanding is that is normal. If you think there's a problem, take it to your dealer asap.

Peace.

That sound may by your antilock brakes activating. I have activated mine only once and it was a freakin' death defying emergency, so I don't remember what they sounded like or if they made any weird noises. The antilock brakes on my wife's car do make some odd noises. My understanding is that is normal. If you think there's a problem, take it to your dealer asap.

Peace.

I've had to engage my ABS recently as well, some guy in a hurry ran a red light. Needless to say everything worked out fine and I stopped in time. I do remember a weird sound when the brakes engaged, and it seemed quite loud.

Peace.

This is alittle different. I was actually just slowing down for a red light. The braking wasnt really that hard at all to activated the antilock bracking system.But it has happened more than once but only when it rains.maybe i should drive only when the sun shines. lol

• 2 weeks later...

This is alittle different. I was actually just slowing down for a red light. The braking wasnt really that hard at all to activated the antilock bracking system.But it has happened more than once but only when it rains.maybe i should drive only when the sun shines. lol

Took my 2012 journey into the dealer today for the noises the brakes were making. They replaced the front pads and rotors at 17,000 km. They also told me the warranty for the brakes was raised to 40 ,000 km.

my '11 DJ does the same thing. Pretty annoying. After a few applications of the brake it diminishes, or goes away completely. The brakes must get filled up with debri, and grind around in there.

The factory pads are absolute crap. I replaced mine with a higher end pads and there is basically no dust and rotors and holding up fine too..

All that brake dust is part of the problem with calipers seizing and accumulating water and rusting prematurely..

While you're under warranty don't care but after try better pads and you'll see..