Possible trade

abcd101010

I currently drive a 2009 Cheveret Cobalt SS Sedan and am pretty close to trading it in or a 2012 DJ R/T. I just want to know if there are any known issues with the 2012s. Financially it may not be the best choice but the extra room would be good for the family (two children a 3yr old and a 1yr old). I think the only way I would go through with the deal is if they throw in a lifetime warranty on all brake compnents. I have already have had a hard time dealing with GM about the problems with the rear brakes of my car, and I dont want to have to deal with those problems with this vehicle if I pull the trigger on this deal. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

good luck on getting any car company to give you a life time warranty. unless you can go back in time. dont think any will ever do it again.. but i do love my 2011 mainstreet have had to the brakes worked on once but have 27k on them now and they might need to be turned again but i dont think they are bad enough for them to agree to it. other than that i would rec. this car the 3.7 engine will really get up and go.

I really like my 2011. I have the R/T and it has been quite reliable. No brake issues as of 16,000+ miles. One electronic module issue that affected the cruise control was replaced by the dealer. No vehicle is going to be completely without problems. Engine runs strong and quiet except when I stomp on it, then it has a nice growl. :woot:

I'd say, "Do it". There was nothing that I drove in 2011 that offered the entire package like the Journey, IMHO. Best of Luck to you.

Peace.

The big thing that is drawing me in to the R/T is all the technology that my Cobalt doesnt have. The extra room isnt totally neccessary right now and I only have a couple years left to pay off my car. I also really love having a clutch and dont really want to get in to an auto. Its a tough choice because in my mind the pros and cons are pretty equal. If I get the DJ I would want to get some aftermarket rims because honestly I find the chrome clad rims a bit dull and not very stylish. I would also get a set of 17" steelies for winter so that would leave me with a set of 19" DJ rims pretty much useless to me.

I am kinda in a similar situation. I currently have a 2008 G8 V6 and I am looking at the journey r/t for similar reasons. There is no technology in my G8. Its a great DD but I have 3 kids under 5 and its a tight squeeze across the back. The charger r/t wont fit the kid's car seats. I am looking for a somewhat sporty cross over that will give me what I want for my kids but still give Daddy enough fun of a driving experience. I could get a Crew equiped the way I want for 2-3K less but I really want the R/T for the suspension upgrades (They both have 19"s). I can get a Crew with the 7 seats, leather & DVD for an MSRP of 31K but to get the 7 seats and DVD on the RT I am at at least 33K with the FWD. I guess I have to figure out the suspension differences. I am not sure what they are and how much of a difference it will actually make.

But... I talked to a dealer yesterday. They have an AWD R/T with the 7 seats, Nav & DVD for around 34400 or something. They offered me 2100 off sticker for the sales price and there are currently $3500 in Rebates (with the $1000 down payment match) and I have about 2500 possitive equity in my G8 so I would finance around 27K. If I got with the Crew I am looking at $25K or so. Is the suspension that important to me..... That is what Ive got to figure out I guess. Anyone have any insite on this???

So I pulled the trigger and went through with the deal. I am now the owner of a 2012 Brilliant Black Journey R/T. Taking quite the hit performance wise but I'm happy with the decision I made. Next year I will look into some 20" rims and maybe sell the stockers.

Congrats! You'll have to let me know what you think of it once you hammer on it a few times. Since you are coming from a performance vehicle I am curious to get your opinion. How does the Journey R/T corner and hows the road feel?

What did your Cobalt run if you ever took it to the track? My G8 ran 15.6 stock and got it down to 15.3 with mods. I am guessing that the 0-60 claims of 7.1 for the Journey should yield a 15.3 or so. so from a straitline performance perspective I should be pretty even there. I am just used to cornering on rails. if it leans in hard corners too much it may be the deal breaker. but on paper its a great compromise of practicality and performance.

I only ever ran on a 1/8th mile and i was in around low 9s but the track was horrible. A lot of guys who ran on other tracks would run 0.2 seconds slower thru 60ft at this track. Dont know if I will really push the Journey. I went with the R/T because I didnt want to go from the top of the line performance model, to a base model.

Thats cool. Best of luck with your Journey. I wonder too how the Auto Stick shifting is and how quick and responsive it is. I am looking to test drive one in a week or so.

I really like the auto stick. It works well to do that quick pass on a two lane road. Shift that thing down to 3 and hammer. The pentastar really shines! The Journey is no porsche, but I'll tell you, it can go when pushed. I've been getting great mileage lately as well. Seems as if my engine is completely broken in at 16K miles. Getting 25-27 miles per gallon if I drive according to the efficiency meter.

Peace.