Passenger seat storage bin lock / unlock?

rino468

Hi all -- i own a 2010 Dodge Journey and I placed my insurance and registration under the passenger side storage bin (Flip up) however I must have accidentally closed it with the little extra handle -- and now i cant open my bin -- if stuck both of my hands inbetween the seat and pulled as hard as I could and it feels like its locked -- i suppose something could be stuck but it feels locked.

Does anyone know how i could have inadvertently locked the passenger storage bin?

Thanks again!

thats what im afaid of -- maybe it got caught onto something :(

i also have a 2010 Journey R/T and as Carlcas mentioned the "flip up" seat does not lock so I would tend to agree you probably have just jammed it with something. I really have no good solution to this other than carefully trying to open it up again. You may damage whatever is keeping it closed though.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I'm not sure if the seat design changed for the 2011/2012 Journeys, but I looked at mine today. The tab that you pull on is attached to a clip. When you pull up on the tab, the clip releases the seat cushion.

If you closed the seat with the tab tucked in, I can't see anyway of getting it open, other then getting the tab out, you may have to make a trip to the dealership.

Maybe Dodgecares has a solution or idea.

Did you try looking under the seat, from the back seat, and see if you can see/feel the latch? If you can, pull it towards the rear of the car, maybe it might open. If you can see your tab, try putting some pressure down on the seat while you pull the tab. Maybe you'll get luckly.

If you closed the seat with the tab tucked in, I can't see anyway of getting it open, other then getting the tab out, you may have to make a trip to the dealership.]

get in the second row and just look under the passenger seat , you will see the latch , release it by pulling it .. you will figure it out .. it's easy , and replace the tab where it should so it will not happen again.

In this picture the Tab is placed where it should :

dodge-journey-interior.jpg

Edited by Burn

Did you try looking under the seat, from the back seat, and see if you can see/feel the latch? If you can, pull it towards the rear of the car, maybe it might open. If you can see your tab, try putting some pressure down on the seat while you pull the tab. Maybe you'll get luckly.

Good call, Burn. I just had to go out and check for myself. I didn't tuck in the cloth tab, but found the latch and like you said, pull it towards you and it untlatched the seat.

• 1 year later...

I just bought the 2013 Dodge Journey 3 days ago and also put my new car paperwork in that handy little storage space under the seat. I really wish someone (anyone) had enlightened me to make sure I was holding onto the "pull handle" whenever I closed that seat back up. :hammer_self: Since I had only had the car for a day when it happened, I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's had that happen to them. My solution: I pushed the seat all the way up to the dash as far as it would go and went into the back seat behind it. I could easily see the little pull handle dangling there. I was able to push up (at the top of the handle) and could feel that it was unlatching the seat/lid to the storage bin. The tricky part was trying to lift up on the seat at the same time. :waiting: I was able to manage it by myself with quite a bit of difficulty, :whew:but I think it would have been pretty easy to open if I'd had another person lifting on the seat at the same time that I was pushing that "button" from underneath. :yup: Note to self: don't let that pull tab get underneath the seat again! :fool: Hopefully someone else will benefit from my solution if this happens to them in the future. :)