Manual "wobbly" Hood Support ... WTF!!!

Hello all,

We have had our new 2012 DJ SXT for 3 weeks now. Loving it by the way. Would like to ask for some advice and/or input on the following.

I have had the hood up a couple of times and am not impressed by the hood support rod. Not sure about other model years but on our 2012 with the Pentastar V6 we have a cheap hood support rod. I want to convert this to strut(s) if possible.

Are they available for the DJ?

What size strut?

One or two?

Is there mounting support already there?

So far this is the only thing that is bugging me. I have read they may have changed due to wind, price or strut failure - whatever the reason, it sucks.

Any part #'s or advice on the correct size of strut to purchase would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

LRD

Edited by Rubberdude88

I wondered the same thing myself. Dodge has an unfortunate habit of putting cheap prop rod hood supports on $30,000+ vehicles.

They're an easy upgrade on the Challenger - the Challengers have the ball-mounts to attach the struts to the hood already installed.... but there's no such balls mounted on the Journey hood. Looks to me like the ball mounts that the struts need to pivot on would have to be welded to the Journey hood to accomplish this - then of course you'd have to repaint over the welds to make it look 'factory'.