2012 DJ Air Filter questions

So while doing my oil change for the first time last night (which was super easy btw), I decided to pull and clean the air filter. When I opened it up I saw that this little fabric hose thing had blown off the tube and was sitting sideways. What is the point in this little tube? Seems totally unnecessary, as air gets to the filter no matter what. If anything, this was more of a hindrence since it was sitting sideways blocking most of the air intake. Can we just take this out?

post-5484-0-55663600-1340037475_thumb.jp

post-5484-0-99919100-1340037496_thumb.jp

I'm sure its there for noise reduction, but I noticed very little difference, and then only at WOT. Pop off tube first if you want to try it, can always put it bck on if you want.

Good point, I'll see if it's any louder.

Did your stock air filter have 2 strips of yellow glue on it? I was somewhat concerned after seeing that, since it seems the glue could come off easily and get sucked into the intake manifold (possibly causing damage). Seems like a bad air filter design...

I took mine out, and also trimmed the necked down area on the inlet pipe, where it used to mount, with a razor blade. Also removed the rubber flap from the hood, that sits in front of inlet pipe.

This is great info. Just installed a K&N Filter and also noticed this obstruction - Will be opening the area back up today and cutting back the tube and checking for the flap. Didn't see the flap when I put the K&N in but will also remove it.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I always removed restictions as well that made sense. The only thing with linear tubing leading up to the air filter box is its probably there to smooth out the air flow and increase velocity. I have found on various vehicles that sometime cutting as you are suggesting helps and sometimes it creates air turbulance and kills power. Not owning a Journey yet I am not really sure which one of those two scenerios will be true.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

me too 2014 v6 nothing in tube . I put a c I a filter in . I bought a rubber connector at home depot 4" long 3"id fits perfect used a tie strap to hold it into air box. love the sound

Need pics of this! Sounds like a cheap CAI mod!