iOS 6 supports texting over Bluetooth

The beta of Apple's iOS 6 supports the Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) that's required for the Uconnect system to be able to display and read text messages from a phone. But even with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4S, the Uconnect system says that messaging is not supported with the paired device. Has anyone had any luck with this? Has anyone had success with a different kind of phone that has support for Bluetooth MAP? There have been a lot of reports from Ford owners saying that the texting functions of MyFord Touch now work with an iPhone 4S running iOS 6, so I was hoping the same would be true for Uconnect.

For what it's worth, I test drove a Ford Explorer yesterday with My Ford Touch and it read text messages and emails from my iPhone perfectly. It's very disappointing that this doesn't work with Uconnect. The system supports it, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Since iOS 6 is still a beta, I'm sure Chrysler isn't officially supporting it yet, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work.

I have a 2012 R/T. My Motorola Droid Razr allows text reading on the Journey. The system will only read the texts to you while driving. When parked or stopped at a light, Uconnect will either read the text to you or you can view it on the screen. By the way I have the 8.4 screen with Navigation.

Yeah, we can hope. I'm pretty impressed with the new update to My Ford Touch. Last year's version really wasn't in the same league as Uconnect. This year's update seems to have left Uconnect in the dust. I'm sure hoping Chrysler gives us a Uconnect update soon. The constant re-indexing of my iPod drives me nuts on a daily basis. I also hope they add support for metadata in songs that stream over bluetooth. Seeing the song data while streaming over bluetooth in the Ford sure made me wish Uconnect supported it.

I'm sure hoping Chrysler gives us a Uconnect update soon.

Have you heard that there is an update on the way? I'm not holding my breath. If there is an update, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just in the new cars and the older Uconnect versions are not able to be updated. I'd love an update for the iPod artwork and texting. I hate not getting notified of texts over Uconnect. And I end up reaching for my phone when I do hear my phone text alert anyway. It would be great if I could push one button and have my texts read to me.

Peace.

Have you heard that there is an update on the way? I'm not holding my breath. If there is an update, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just in the new cars and the older Uconnect versions are not able to be updated. I'd love an update for the iPod artwork and texting. I hate not getting notified of texts over Uconnect. And I end up reaching for my phone when I do hear my phone text alert anyway. It would be great if I could push one button and have my texts read to me.

I haven't heard that there is an update on the way, I'm just hoping. There are some significant problems with the Uconnect system, and I will be very disappointed if they don't get addressed. I've called Chrysler to report the problems, and I've told my dealer, but nobody can confirm that they are even working on a fix for anything.

We ended up buying a 2013 Ford Explorer for my wife. Now that I've really had some time to play with MyFord Touch, I can honestly say that it is head and shoulders better than the Uconnect system. Every shortcoming of Uconnect is completely remedied with MyFord Touch. I'm very impressed that Ford was able to update their system so significantly for 2013 and that the new software is a free upgrade for previous model years. If there isn't a similar update for Uconnect, I will be very disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

At WWDC 2012 Apple announce Siri car integration.

Chrysler logo was on the screen at the back of Tim Cook.

we hope

The newest Uconnect update (for cars manufactured before 1/1/12) broke Siri support. Let's hope another update is coming soon.

Of course the TSB mentions the added features but doesn't mention that Siri no longer works!

TSB # is 08-018-12

More info (and a firmware download for the adventurous) here (see post #14):

http://www.wranglerf...tml#post2218960

Edited by EBK

Here's a link the a pdf of the TSB. It actually doesn't list the Journey! So, as of March, 2012, there is new Uconnect firmware, but perhaps not for our vehicles. Weird, as I would really like some of these enhancements. I guess the only way to know if you can get the update is to talk to the dealer.

http://www.wk2jeeps....wk2_0801812.pdf

Edited by EBK

Yeah, see my reply to you in the Daytime Running Lights thread. Annoying that us Journey owners don't get the benefit of the Uconnect update's bug fixes and additional features. Oh well, at least Siri still works in our vehicles!