Class Action against Chrysler Canada!

silentdan

So I have been thinking lately a lot about starting a Class Action for the brakes on our Journeys and was wondering who would like to join in so we can force this company to do something about this brake issues.

I am looking around for a good Class Action Law Firm that can take this to court and shove it down their throats.

We need to do something about this nonsense or else they will never admit that they screwed up big time on this vehicles.My car has only 28000 km and now I am on my 3rd break job.I went to the dealership to see if they will repair them under warranty and they flatly refused to do so and blamed my driving style as a factor in my brake problem.I just cant sit around and take this crap anymore.

So any one that would be interested post here and let me know.

Cheers!

Edited by silentdan

My car has only 28000 km and now I am on my 3rd break job.I went to the dealership to see if they will repair them under warranty and they flatly refused to do so and blamed my driving style as a factor in my brake problem.

Wow, 3 brake jobs at only 28,000km is ridiculous! I would say that if you would really like to prove your point you should have records of previously owned vehicles and show when the brake repairs were done on them. If they were replaced at the standard amount of mileage then that would shoot down their theory of "it is your braking style" and prove that the brakes are inadequate for a vehicle of that size.

Not sure if you'll have a case or not, and it might make things harder considering they have started increasing the brake size on the newer models.

If the 2012's design, dimension & weight is the same as the previous years who are having issues then that would probably be considered as an admission of guilt from Chrysler to increase the brake size to avoid any future issues.

I have felt from day one of new ownership that the front brakes are undersized. Anyone thinking of towing 3,500 lbs to boot is basically putting a loaded gun to their head. Definitely a design inadequacy.

Chrysler just paid $600 to replace the rear brakes on our '10 Grand Caravan with 33,000km. The caliper adapters/supports were causing the brakes to always be slightly on, thus burning out the pads. Those got replaced as well as rotors and pads. But that is a different design issue - not undersized brakes.

I just had my second brake job done at 28K and both parts and labour were covered under the parts warranty written right on my invoice from the dealership. I was told that brakes were covered under warranty if installed by a dealership for 1 year unlimited unlimited KM's. What were the intervals of your first two brake job's.

This last time they put 3 sets of fronts and 2 sets of rear rotors on and pads all around within 4 weeks. It ended up being the rear brake adapters were seizing up which I was told was a common problem on the Journey's. Unless your past the 1 year mark of surprised the dealership is not standing behind their parts. My issue wasn't the wear on the pads but warping rotors.

I have a 2010 journey and it has 25000 km on it. We got a notice from chrysler Canada extending front pad and rotor warranty to 40 000 km. they are replacing them. As for the rears they told us to talk to the service manager and If they wot replace at no cost to contact chrysler Canada.

I have a 2010 journey and it has 25000 km on it. We got a notice from chrysler Canada extending front pad and rotor warranty to 40 000 km. they are replacing them. As for the rears they told us to talk to the service manager and If they wot replace at no cost to contact chrysler Canada.

I'm playing devils advocate again, but they did make a change to the engine with increased HP up to 283. Now they could argue this is why they increased the brake size.

With that in said they did increase to the 3.6 way before they increased the brake size, so anyone with the 3.6L with the smaller brakes might have the better argument.

Either way Chryslers argument is weak and I do agree with everyone about the brakes and hope you can get something from Chrysler to compensate. Good luck.

I hate to point this out but "breaks" is spelt brakes :) . I had over 35,000km on my 2010RT and had alot of brake pad left. It stopped on a dime and I never experianced any brake fade. Are you in a big city? Less stop and go may have alot to do with my good wear.

A couple of points;

1. Brake lifetimes are not finite - city driving can be hell on brake pads and rotors - it is all about how you drive. My ex could burn through a set of brakes on her GM van in about 8000 km - when I took it over I ran almost 50K on the same vehicle - and it wasn't the vehicle - when she took over one of MY cars and brake lifespan dropped to 10-12K.

2. The brakes on my '11 SE Plus are fine (so far), they certainly have enough stopping power and (at about 12,000 km) still seem brand new.

3. The brake design change has nothing to do with engine size, because so far they've only changed them on the AWD models - and all except the SE and SE Plus have the Pentastar. Besides, there's only a coule of hundre pounds difference between the models.

4. For 2013 they are supposed to stop supplying 16 inch wheels, offering only 17" (for the US AVP and SE and Canadian CVP and SE Plus models). This probably means that they will be changing the brakes on the rest of the DJs for 2013. It also means that those of us who went out and bought 16" winter wheels will not be selling them to other DJ owners nor able to keep them for our new vehicles (so how about we toss in the price of wheels and tires for those who have made the investment to the claim?).

It doesn't matter if you live in the city brakes shouldn't wear out after 30 000 km or in some cases even less

Where you live may not matter, but how and where you drive does. If you drive mostly highway (without stop and go traffic) you're brakes will last a lot longer than something constantly having to stop/slow down. Usually this type of stop/go driving is seen in and around cities due to higher traffic congestion.

As for tacking on the price of the 16" winter wheels in the claim, I think that just won't fly. Chrysler provided a set of wheels with the car along with All Season tires, its the owners preference to choose a different wheel size and/or buy winter tires. Not trying to start a Winter/All Season debate, just stating its the owners choice to switch wheels or not. BTW I always buy separate winter tires for all my vehicles.

The brakes on my '11 seem good with a blend of city and freeway driving. What I find annoying is that in warmer weather there is an ear piercing siren like sound when I idle around parking lots at super slow speeds and just slightly use the brakes. Annoying, going to have to check them out and see what's wrong with them on a cooler day.

• 1 month later...

I have issues with my brakes. Pulsating pedal (probably from warped rotors) and an endless problem with brake dust on the wheels. The pads are probably too soft and wearing down too fast, creating lots of dust. I wanted to change the pads myself to a good aftermarket set of low dust pads, but if Chrysler is going to do a brake job under warranty, I will wait till I am out of warranty to do the upgrade.

Can you scan & post the letter you got regarding the brakes for us please? I am the original owner of our Journey and have not gotten such a letter, so would be nice to have somthing official to show the service guy when I show up and ask for new brakes.

Thanks in advance.

I have issues with my brakes. Pulsating pedal (probably from warped rotors) and an endless problem with brake dust on the wheels. The pads are probably too soft and wearing down too fast, creating lots of dust. I wanted to change the pads myself to a good aftermarket set of low dust pads, but if Chrysler is going to do a brake job under warranty, I will wait till I am out of warranty to do the upgrade.

Can you scan & post the letter you got regarding the brakes for us please? I am the original owner of our Journey and have not gotten such a letter, so would be nice to have somthing official to show the service guy when I show up and ask for new brakes.

Thanks in advance.

At this point the brake warranty is for the 2010 Journey's....I remember in another thread Dodge Cares mentioned if you are a 2011 owner to save the receipts for any brake work done and if in the future the warranty is extended to the 2011's Chrysler will reimburse the full cost of the receipt.

• 2 weeks later...