installed Hitch 2012 Journey R/T

Well here are the pics some of you have been waiting to see. Notice the 4 pin trailer plug harness just hanging through the round hole made for the 7-pin plug........Not very happy with that part of the factory install. Go out and buy a Chev,Ford ,or even Dodge truck for that matter when you order a Trailer "TOW PREP PACKAGE" you are ready to tow!!!, except for the reciever and size ball........Which is normal........Don't really remember what the bumper looked like before the install, But can see where they did put the clip on moulding where the cut was made............I still happy I got the factory one instead of the aftermarket one, ........Now I need a adapter for my Bike rack unless I want it sticking out sidways instead of up........LOL...........Caper.

Here are the pics..........All 4 pics tells me the file is too big......Will need to do some work before I upload.......Will try now though.......Caper.......

Well here they are it worked..........I sent there to myself via E-mail and saved them...........Then they uploaded.............LOL...........caper.........

Anybody know the Mopar part number I need to insert the 4-pin into the 7-pin opening ,........And can I get the flip up cover to keep the salt and grime out also........Maybe "Dodgecares" will know....BTW......Dodgecares what do you think about that install?...Thanks ......Any questions just ask.........

post-4775-0-32919600-1336860420_thumb.jp

post-4775-0-82993900-1336860434_thumb.jp

post-4775-0-93499000-1336860529_thumb.jp

post-4775-0-27818700-1336860546_thumb.jp

Hate to say it but......It looks like I did that wiring job in my backyard(I'am a Electrician ,I wouldn't even do that)................And there is no power at the plug .............still can't even tow yet.........The trailer tow prep package also came with a oil cooler................Hummmmm wonder if that is hooked up ...........LOL...LOL................Caper.........

Well I knew about the wire hanging..........But I got the hitch put on in Feb/2012..........Did not need to tow until last month.............so it was not know right away about the no power at the plug.............I did phone the dealer and told them ..........But I will get it done with the next oil change as the dealer is about 1 hour drive each way...........I just got the hitch to tow the ATV's anyway so over the winter we don't use them anyway.

As for the bumper cut the moulding looks great, most would not even know the cut was done after or right from the factory that way....IMO.....I don't even remember what it looked like before the hitch was installed........LOL...

.I should take a pic of the 2011 CREW journey at work that has the aftermarket one that really sticks out for you............What do you think?................Caper...........

Edited by caperinmuskoka

Hey Caper, got a part # of the hitch off your bill? Parts guys at work say they can't get me a hitch for possibly months, backordered. Yet I see people getting them put on. Want to make sure they are looking up the right #. Your right aftermarket hitches look like CRAP.

Caper if you don't mind taking the photo of the aftermarket hitch, that would be appreciated. But thats more for curiosity sake.

I think between your and Moparman comments on aftermarket versus factory in terms of looks, I will probably go with factory. Glad to hear that the moulding looks OK. I just hope I get an installer that can do as good as job as they have done on yours.

I just hope I get an installer that can do as good as job as they have done on yours.

I would hope you would get a much better installer. Did you see the electrical plug zip tied to the bracket instead of installed properly? That's far from a professional installation.

Hey Caper, got a part # of the hitch off your bill? Parts guys at work say they can't get me a hitch for possibly months, backordered. Yet I see people getting them put on. Want to make sure they are looking up the right #. Your right aftermarket hitches look like CRAP.

The Mopar part# of the hitch is 82210403ab. The $5 part that prevents you from having to zip tie the wiring to the bracket is part# 68026722AA.

For people who want to see what aftermarket hitches look like, there are pictures of a couple different installs in this thread:

http://www.dodgejour...itch-installed/

Edited by generaltso

The Mopar part# of the hitch is 82210403ab. The $5 part that prevents you from having to zip tie the wiring to the bracket is part# 68026722AA.

For people who want to see what aftermarket hitches look like, there are pictures of a couple different installs in this thread:

http://www.dodgejour...itch-installed/

Thanks i'll see if thats what they are trying to get. Any trouble getting yours?

If your asking my about trouble getting my hitch.?

Well bought the 2012 R/T back in Nov. 2011 and the hitch was put on the sales bill but was not in stock or in stock 3-4 days later when picking it up......so I got a phone call ..........no I didn't I called the salesman in Dec,as I was in no hurry anyway, It was in then.......so I just told him I will get it installed in Feb 2012 when the first oil change was do..........he said no problem, but did not want to see it hang around too long just in case it got used and re-ordered again..........they wouldn't do that ......would they????......LOL......Caper.............

I had no trouble getting min

Thanks i'll see if thats what they are trying to get. Any trouble getting yours?

I didn't have any trouble getting mine. My dealer actually had it in stock. They installed it the day my car was delivered from the factory so that I could pick it up the next day. They had no trouble mounting the wiring plug to the bracket with correct adapter (and rubber cap), and flashing the computer so that the wiring was functional.

Thanks guys, going to try and have one transfered from another dealer, they are on national backorder

I wonder if they're changing the design of the OEM hitch. Take a look at this page and scroll down to the picture of the Journey hauling a trailer with a couple of boats on it. The hitch on that Journey is definitely not the vertical type.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2012/journey/

I wonder if they're changing the design of the OEM hitch. Take a look at this page and scroll down to the picture of the Journey hauling a trailer with a couple of boats on it. The hitch on that Journey is definitely not the vertical type.

http://www.dodge.com/en/2012/journey/

I had the parts guys look into getting me a hitch from another dealer today. The backorder # had gone from about 2500 , down to a bout 250. And there is also a new part # coming,(shows a supersedance coming), as to what if anything will be different, hard to say.

OK, I've figured out that not getting the hitch with the Tow Prep Package is normal.

So now my questions are as follows:

1) Is it normal for the wires to be included in a bag with the Tow Prep Package instead of installed already?

2) Is it normal for the dealership to charge to have these wires installed when you've already ordered the Tow Prep?

3) My dealer is trying to sell me a aftermarket hitch instead of Mopar to avoid something being backordered. I'm waiting for the parts manager to call me to clarify the aftermarket style of the hitch, but has anyone seen an aftermarket hitch that was the same as the Mopar/Dealer hitch?

4) How much would be an expected price for a Mopar/Dealer hitch installed on a Journey that already has the Tow Prep Package included?

All help appreciated. This is my first Dodge and I'm hoping its a smooth experience.

OK, I've figured out that not getting the hitch with the Tow Prep Package is normal.

So now my questions are as follows:

1) Is it normal for the wires to be included in a bag with the Tow Prep Package instead of installed already?

2) Is it normal for the dealership to charge to have these wires installed when you've already ordered the Tow Prep?

3) My dealer is trying to sell me a aftermarket hitch instead of Mopar to avoid something being backordered. I'm waiting for the parts manager to call me to clarify the aftermarket style of the hitch, but has anyone seen an aftermarket hitch that was the same as the Mopar/Dealer hitch?

4) How much would be an expected price for a Mopar/Dealer hitch installed on a Journey that already has the Tow Prep Package included?

All help appreciated. This is my first Dodge and I'm hoping its a smooth experience.

1. Yes wires are in bag ....most people will not need them because the trailer tow prep package does not include a hitch.

2. I ordered my hitch when I bought new and the cost was on the invoice, so my hitch and wiring was done when it came in at no cost to me ...however the wiring has no power.

3.No....all aftermarket hitches I seen so far for the Journey are normal 2" reciever type . only the factory on is like pics above in my other post. So if you don't want the 2' reciecer sticking out go with the factory one. But if you already have for example a bike rake for a normal 2' ...then maybe the aftermarket is for you..........Look at the pics in this post and make you choice from there...

4.If you order the hitch from them ....tell them you want it installed when ordering........Should be around 4450.00-$500.00 installed ...hitch, wiring, flash everything,Canadian prices....

Hope that helps....

Getting my oil and filter done tomorrow, and the wiring flashed....Will let you know..how it goes...............Caper.........

I'm suppose to pick up my Journey today and I ordered the Tailer Tow Prep package but it does not include the receiver. Is this normal?

Trailer tow-prep-package does not even include the hitch....so no it does not include the receiver.

However when the salesman took my hitch order when making the deal , he did ask me if I wanted the receiver and what size ball I needed.......they did get the 2" ball size correct ....LOL.....and was even mounted on the receiver .....ready to go when the hitch was installed....but like I said no power at my plug then...........Caper........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done the wiring for the trailer?

I got my hitch kit (Drawtite), brake control box, and plug connector set tonight.

Do I have to run all new wires for plug and
Electronic brake control
unit or is there wires already ran on the Journeys that didnt come with a hitch?