What is the square on the front bumper for?

Ed Hess

i asked the dealer he told me it was for when your journey needs to be towed the tow truck driver removes the plug and connects the cable to winch the car onto the flat bed to prevent any damage. at least thats what he told me.But i also asked him what that 3rd tit on top of the dash in the center by the windshield was for and he just looked at me and said he thought it was for the security like some other cars have. i said it doesnt blink but i have a light in the cluster that blinks which i thought was the security light.Was wondering if it was for the gps that i dont have on my journey. oh well i havent lost no sleep over that one .LOL

thanks might be, but I dont have the auto lights either so i guess its still the 3rd tit that doesnt do nothing.. has any one had to replace the wiper blade on the hatch back yet,looks like a dealer replacment only blade?

The small square conceals a threaded hole for an eye bolt,

This has been Euro standard for years.

If you look closely there is another on the back bumper

(mine does) plus a very large vertically mounted eyelet

in the rear.

My daughter recently got a Mazda CX5 and they even

provide the eye bolts that screw into those spots.

Again maybe for towng or assy line not positive

on original intent.

• Official Dodge Support

I just purchased a 2012 Journey, and noticed a square on the front bumper. I was wondering if this was for a engine heater cord?

Ed,

If you take that square cover off you will see threads for an eye bolt to be screwed in there. A tow truck or similar vehicle would pull the vehicle out of a ditch or up on to a flatbed using a cable hooked to that eye bolt so they don't damage your front fascia by hooking the cable under the vehicle.

just check my 2011 mainstreet and the rear has a very large vertically mounted eyelet underneath the bumper but it lookss like if they tried to use that it would scrape the plastic cover also checked for the eye bolt for the front where the jack was but there wasent one, there was a eye bolt attached to the top of the jack but it didnt screw off so dont know if they come with U.S. version or mine got left out .oh well worry about that when and if it evers needs to be towed..

just check my 2011 mainstreet and the rear has a very large vertically mounted eyelet underneath the bumper but it lookss like if they tried to use that it would scrape the plastic cover

This is for the transport car haulers,trains etc. to chain down directly under the journey....To reach rhe dealers.....Caper....

just called the dealership about the eye bolt that screws into the front bumper and was i supposed to have one in my car somewhere , they didnt have no idea or have never heard about one being supplied with new cars in U.S. they said the tow truck drivers are supposed to have them. i told her that i had just seen a flat bed tow truck driver this morning and asked if he had such bolts and he replied NO that different cars had different size bolts and that they didnt supply the bolts that they were supposed to come with the cars.( which does make sence) checked my spare tire area real good and no such bolt.also looked in my manual and there is no mention about this eye bolt and or the place in the front bumper where it screws in.