Failing soon after Warranty is done

pal

I am interested in finding out how many people have had their transmission fail on them soon after warranty. I am a data analyst and I feel there is something 'wrong' in this equation. I for one plan to stop taking my car to the dealer way before the warranty is up. I have seen that this penominon (transmission fails soon after warranty goes) is not limited to one brand. Unless the transmission has a 'timer' in it like 'oh warranty is up lets fail', I wonder if there some 'other reason' for this. Any ideas or comments?

It does not matter what brand.

Warranties are intended to protect vehicle owners from premature failures; Engineers design the components to survive at least for the warranty period, though they tend to cut things awfully close. That's why I have been tyring to get people to sign up for the extended warranty group buy.

If they cut things that close people would not buy again IMO........GM ,Ford and others get well over 300,00- 500,00 KM from the factory tranny..............as well as many others .....Proper fuilds and filter maintenance is the key to tranny life...............Heat is the main killer of trannys.................I have 300,000 Km on my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix I use for work and not tranny issues at all ....YET.......LOL...............Caper............

Edited by caperinmuskoka

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in finding out how many people have had their transmission fail on them soon after warranty. I am a data analyst and I feel there is something 'wrong' in this equation. I for one plan to stop taking my car to the dealer way before the warranty is up. I have seen that this penominon (transmission fails soon after warranty goes) is not limited to one brand. Unless the transmission has a 'timer' in it like 'oh warranty is up lets fail', I wonder if there some 'other reason' for this. Any ideas or comments?

It does not matter what brand.

So explain why my '06 Ram (bought new with 17 miles on it) has 148K miles with absolutely no issues with the transmission. By your unfounded logic it should have stopped working at 36,001 miles (original warranty was 3/36K).

I've owned several Mopar's (1965 Dart, 1982 Omni, 1982 Horizon, 1986 LeBaron GTS, 1992 Acclaim, 1990 Acclaim, 2009 Journey SXT, 2010 Journey SXT, 2006 Ram 1500 QC SB Hemi) and only one had a transmission failure and that was with 191,000 miles on the odometer. I had a '93 Ford Aerostar that logged over 203K miles on the transmission - no problems with the engine or transmission but the interior was another issue.

I for one plan to stop taking my car to the dealer way before the warranty is up

And that's a good way to ensure you will have problems down the road. I've found my servicing dealer to be better than most area independent shops. And competitively priced.

I believe your analysis is flawed. You can't just look at those vehicles with failures. You have to take the entire amount produced into consideration. Sure there will be some that fail early under warranty, and some just after and others that go years without any failures (that's at least 90% of them). Vehicles are made by humans and invariably there will be failures of some parts - it happens. That's what warranties are for. If a part is going to fail, it generally fails with in the warranty period. Yes, transmissions do have a designed lifetime but most (probably 95% of them) last well beyond the basic warranty and there is no "timer" telling it to induce failure - what a crock!

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, there is no timer in a transmission. Since I was 16 I've owned many used vehicles that I bought well past any warranty and still had original engine/trans and not all if any were serviced regularly, not even a fluid change. All of which I ended up putting 100,000+ KMs (excluding the few that were wrecked) on before I decided it was time for a vehicle change.

Its only recently that I've started purchasing new, but mostly because I like the new techy features todays vehicles have. With that said, I still own a 91 Acura and 05 Hyundai and just sold a 96 Ford that have about 200,000 KM each and are still running strong. Albeit, the majority of my cars are/were manual transmissions which might be a huge factor in my experience.

Wow quite a list you got there....lots of wrecked rides......How does the Journey fair compared to the imports you had for pick-up and go....!!!!.........I happy with the 283 H.P

My 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP(supercharged) is at 240 H.P.and that is a 3.8L

....Caper....

That reminded me, the Ford was just a fender bender that took out my front fascia, wasn't a wreck. My bad.

I haven't picked up my Journey yet due to a problem with the seat backs not being embroidered so I can only compare my imports to it based on the RT AWD I drove before ordering my Rallye. As far as power and straight line go my imports don't have a chance, but if I feel like holding a few corners the Acura is still the one to beat in my garage (past and present).