Missin roof rack on SE

dolphinsrule65

We picked up our 2012 Journey SE on Monday night.

It is a 2012 SE with the 22F package.

When we get home later that night we noticed there was no roof rack, which is included in the 22 F pkg.

At first we thought the dealer just forgot to install it.

Emailed the Dealer.

Dealer's .response..That is how it comes from the factory.

Emailed Chrysler customer service center and there response was:

It is included now..but .not when ours was built.

It is a 2012 SE with 22 F package and of course they would not offer to install one,even thou we offered to pay for the labor if they would supply the parts.

Customer service response: NO

To avoid confusion Dodge should have gone out to the remaining ones and installed the Luggage rack to avoid this. The parts are about $150.00 dollars.

The only difference at all, between an AVP package and a SE is sunscreen glass and roofrack and they charge an additional $2000.00.

There is no differance at all between an AVP and SE but these two items.

Well i wrote to Sergio and Reid Bigland the boss of the Dodge brand in the US.

Waiting on there response.

Sad thing is we just picked up our 2011 Ram 1500 from this same dealer last month.

Before you all say, we should have noticed it...We were on a different colored SE and the list price was the same and yes i went back and noticed it had a rack on it.

What would you do?

Edited by dolphinsrule65

you need to think out what you are saying or trying to type. most of your post doesnt make sense. If your order calls for a 22 f package and that includes the roof rack then contact the numbers in your manual to call the main office for help and tell them your dealer is not helping to correct the problem . make sure you keep copies of all paperwork and who you talk to names,dates, times. be nice and dont rant or rave ,keep your complaint short and to the point. hope every thing works out for you.

Same issue with people that bought the 2012 R/T models with the 4.3 touch screen.

The 8.4 is listed to come as standard eq. on the 2012 R/T models........but they were listed as "LATE" 2012.

so I did know about it before I bought.........However some may not .............

I think you got what you bought........What does it have on you window sticker from the factory build?

....................Caper.....

• Official Dodge Support

Picked up our 2012 Journey on Monday nite, literally as the dealer was closing, did all the pre-stuff online.

It is a SE with the 22F pkg.

WE get home late at night...the next day..yea i know...I noticed there was no roof rack, which is included in the 22 F pkg.

Dealer...response..It is what it is...humm

Chrysler customer service...email..response...well it is included now...not when mine was built....HUH...it is a 2012 SE with 22 F package. At first we thought the dealer just forgot to install it.

Naturally they would not offer to install one,even thou it is a whopping $150.oo for that rack...

The dealer no go...

So, it almost seems to me, that Should not have Dodge gone back and installed this on the SE's that were left out there with no roof rack on SE's? I mean $150.00 dollars..?

The only difference at all, between an AVP package and a SE is suncreen glass and roofrack all that for additional $2000.00, trust me there is no differance at all between them but those two items.

So of course i wrote to Sergio and R. Bigland boss of Dodge brand. Waiting on there responses, not holding my breath.

(I even offered to pay labor)

Sad thing is we just picked up our 2011 Ram 1500 from this same dealer last month.

Other then given the dealer a ZERO on the Warranty,service and sales surveys. not sure what to do.

Before you all say, i should have noticed it...We were on a different colored SE and the list price was the same and yes i went back and noticed it had a rack.

What would you do?

I do have a whopping 39 miles on it...

Dolphin,

In order for me to totally understand what you are saying I would need some additional information. Did you order the vehicle or did you purchase one that the dealer already had on the lot? If it was ordered, when did the order go in? If it was purchased off the lot when was the order date?

Since I do not know the answer to these questions I will try and address what you have posted in general terms. To begin I would say that option packages, option availability, standard features, and even colors change all the time. In fact, since the 2012 Journeys started to be built, configurations have changed 7 times that I could find. If you order a vehicle, the dealer can only order what is available at the time, so not sure exactly what you feel the dealer did wrong as they could only order what was available. If Chrysler decides later to add or subtract features from a package or standard features become options or vice versa later in the model year, the dealer can't control that and I can assure you it happens all the time.

As far as why doesn't Chrysler add a roof rack to all the SE models already built and shipped that did not have them I can tell you that will never happen unless it is on the sticker as having such items. That would be the same as saying Chrysler now has a rebate on the vehicle so all the people who purchased it before now should be sent a check.

The 22F package on the current SE's includes Sunscreen Glass (GAE), Black Side Roof Rails (MW1), and LED Taillamps (LAY). The AVP package became available to be ordered on 8/16/2011 and base MSRP was dropped $2000 from the SE. The SE, at that time had the roof rails you talked about added to the 22F and the base MSRP did not increase from what it was before.

After reviewing the information on the Journey's standard features on the AVP and the SE I believe that adding standard features for the same price while offerring another model (AVP) for a lower price with a few less options was a benefit to the consumer.

If anything I have posted here contradicts with your vehicle I would like to take a look further to try and resolve your issue. If you bought a vehicle out of dealer inventory or ordered it to be built before 8/16/2011 and were under the assumption that what is offered on the current SE models was available all along then I am sorry for the misunderstanding but I cannot offer you a remedy in that case.

Edited by DodgeCares

To:Chris B.Chrysler Top Care,

Bought online,never drove it or saw it in person.

The dealer had it in stock, picked it up at night as the dealer was closing.

Why would i expect a remedy from you, when your customer service center already said no?

In the long run, the ZERO surveys, that I will fill out, on both the 2011 Ram and Journey will hurt you guys, way more then me over a

$150.00 roof rack.

But....as the Dealer said...."It is what it is"....

lesson learned.....NEVER BUY A VEHICLE ONLINE, WITHOUT SEEING IT,TOUCHING IT AND DRIVING IT!

PS. Chris there is a big difference between a $1000.00 rebate and a $150.00 luggage rack.

PS Chris you are mistaken thou, i paid the same price as a person who got a roof rack, so no i did not gain anything. My list price is the same as one with a roof rack.

dolphinsrule.. dodge care was just trying to explain the problem. and was offering to help if he could as was others, but as you said dont buy nothing online without seeing it before signing the paper work.i have never ordered a car i always buy off the lot that way i KNOW what i am getting. that way if there is any thing to be fixed on it it gets done BEFORE i sign the final paperwork. learned that a long time ago about the sales man promises are made to be broken.

to:2late 4u.

My point to him was.

If "katie" could not resolve this issue on Tuesday, when her and I emailed back and forth.

Why should he be able too? If someone who represants your company makes a decision..they should stick with it and not be overruled.

He simply copied her final response to me...almost word for word...

My other point to him was: If my sticker price was less then the current SE then he would have a point. BUT my sticker price is exactly the same as one with a luggage rack.

You DO realise that it would be just the side rails . . . in the US the units below the Crew don't come with cross rails. In Canada, the 2012 SE+ is a MUCH beter value proposition. It comes with a full rack with cross rails, 17" aluminum wheels, dark tinted glass, leather steering wheel & shifter, carpets, luggage compartment cover, LED tail lights and body color heated mirrors.

Grab handles would have been nice, mind you.

Yes, i understood it was only the black side rails....and the parts are only about retail $160.00..Which i offered to pay the labor, IF Dodge or the dealer supplied the parts.

They all said no...

So..the surveys (new car,Warranty,service) will hurt them way more then the cost of the rails at $ $100.00 would have. Mind you we are talking about two brand new vehicles from the same dealer within 45 days of each other.

I'm actually on my way to drop it off for lot damage to get fixed and they will have it for a week..so you never know, but somehow black roof rails may just show up on it if the dealership and Dodge are wise.

We all on this forum and Dodge cares rep know, how much those surveys mean to the dealer prinicple,salesman. service and parts manager in backend money. One zero survey hurts deeply...never mind two.

• 3 months later...

Yes, i understood it was only the black side rails....and the parts are only about retail $160.00..Which i offered to pay the labor, IF Dodge or the dealer supplied the parts.

They all said no...

So..the surveys (new car,Warranty,service) will hurt them way more then the cost of the rails at $ $100.00 would have. Mind you we are talking about two brand new vehicles from the same dealer within 45 days of each other.

I'm actually on my way to drop it off for lot damage to get fixed and they will have it for a week..so you never know, but somehow black roof rails may just show up on it if the dealership and Dodge are wise.

We all on this forum and Dodge cares rep know, how much those surveys mean to the dealer prinicple,salesman. service and parts manager in backend money. One zero survey hurts deeply...never mind two.

Do the surveys really weigh that much considering how many units they get surveyed on and get good ratings? With that said, I am holding off on my survey for purchasing my new DJ until after I get the promised Mopar hitch installed at the quoted price just in case they do try any shady.

The surveys mean nothing.

Having said that, and after due consideration, I wonder if he really got an SE (what they call the SE in the US, the sort-of equivalent to the SE+ in Canada)? Did the unit have the other bits? The US SE always came with the rack - unless his was built as a Canadian SE, in which case the unit wouldn't have deep tinted glass, a roof rack or LED tail lights.