2009 Journey, No More Chryslers for Me

jst216

Where to start....Brakes, Brakes, Brakes. I have faught tooth and nail to get them to fix the issue and I finally got them to replace once, then I get a letter from those idiots at Dodge stating they wanted to help with the brake issue as long as I was still under warranty, well guess what, I was way out of warranty and they did not care.

Lets see, oh yeah, Tires, Tires, Tires. Very few available.

Steering issues, lock actuators, iPod intergration issues, transmission issues!!!!!

One more, right tie rod was just about to fall off the thing, heard a noise a few miles from the house after a long family trip, checked the neat day and it needed to be replaced, it was and then a front end alignment after that.

The best part, mileage is only 48,000 miles or so......yippee. I will be soon getting rid of this POS and never buying a Chrysler product again....and I use to work for Dodge.

Forgot one, now my BAS/ESP is on they cant figure how to make it stay off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell everyone I can do not buy, rent, lease or even borrow one of these.

Theres is my story!!!!!

Edited by jst216

Not to be rude or anything but how many people drive your Journey?

Do any drive with two feet?

My mother was very hard on brakes due to the fact she always rested her left foot very slightly n the brake while driving.

Are you with your youngest all the time when they drive?

I was young once ,and remember how I drove my parents car.............Caper..................

if its truly that bad, then you should consult your state's lemon law and see if it applies.

of the last several vehicles i've owned....

98 Grand Cherokee

07 Wrangler Rubicon

10 Challenger SE

11 Journey

I had a ton of issues with my Wrangler, as it was an early release on the first year. (anyone will tell you not to buy the first year) I think i had 9 dealer visits in the first year. all were resolved without issue. since the first year, i've had one dealer visit barely under warranty and again, no issue.

i never had one single problem from the grand cherokee that wasn't directly related to something stupid that i did myself.

the challenger had one trim piece replaced due to a crack. traded it at 18,000 miles for the Journey... out of necessity. The Challenger was by far my favorite car I have ever owned in my life so far, and I can only hope to own another in the future. I've seen no hint of trouble from our Journey thus far, and my experience with Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge has been pleasant overall.

everyone should be aware that cars these days tend to wear the rear pads more than the front. i think partly due to the esp stuff. i replaced the rear pads on my JK with about 27,000 miles on them. fronts looked like they weren't even half-worn. Looked recently and still in excellent shape.

with tire size, you do NOT have to purchase the exact same tire size. many good tire shops can assist you with what fits and will be near enough to the original that it doesn't matter anyway.

Edited by b1pig

As with any manufacturer, there are lemons. My last vehicle was a 2005 Honda Element, and that thing had a host of problems. Over $1100 in front suspension repairs with less than 50,000 miles on it (rubber bushings were worn out - metal to metal), rear suspension noise that the dealer could not fix, went through tires like crazy, had three batteries put in it in 4 years time, driver seat track was loose and rocked (dealer replaced at around 12,000 miles, which fixed the problem for about a month), seat fabric wore out within the first 3 years, etc, etc. The car had never been taken off-road (only city/hwy driving) or abused in any way. Plus the 4-cyl engine got about the same average MPG as my V6 Journey, yet couldn't get out of its own way. So it's pretty much a luck-of-the-draw thing, I think.

It sucks that you've had so many problems. It comes to the point where you just don't want to deal with the repairs anymore and the whole car just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. At that point nothing will make you feel better about it other than just getting rid of it and getting something different. Hopefully your next vehicle will give you better service.

• 3 weeks later...

bought my 09 journey se at 42k . had it a whopping 2 whole days and a caliper seized up on the front and warped the rotors from the heat. since then, all 4 have been replaced because of seizing solid. window motor on pass front went bad like a year ago. total b.s. now im having fun with the mil light on the dash . car shifts erratically . downshifts when i try to accelerate, stalls when idling in a parking spot. shakes uncontrollably when braking, warped rotors AGAIN! <this is the cause for shaking in steering and pedal . so my car was tested, CODE P0017 Camshaft position sensor . all the signs of it too, how is this quality when you pay out the arse for a new car to avoid old car problems , all you get when you buy dodge is all the 20 year old car problems when its brand new off the lot. my next car will NOT be a dodge. never again will i waste my hard earned money ! however, i did have a concorde lxi that went past 210k and still runs solid. what happened to your quality and customer service dodge? if it werent for your customers , your pockets wouldnt be fat . so start taking care of the people filling them already ! RECALLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Kristina, I agree with you about the Concorde and the other LH cars. They were some of the best cars Chrysler ever built (except for that crappy 2.7 liter V6). I have a '96 LHS with 115k on the 3.5L V6, and love it. I'll never sell that one if I can help it.

The warped rotor thing seems to be the most prevalent problem with the Journey. Manufacturers use the lowest bidder when sourcing parts, plus they try to make everything as lightweight as possible to help improve fuel economy. Maybe a high quality aftermarket rotor is the way to go. My independent mechanic has a display in his shop that shows a cross-section of a lightweight rotor and another one of the replacement rotors that they sell. The difference in thickness is substantial. Once my rotors warp again (and from the sound of it, that will happen eventually), I will think about putting those on.

They sound like toyota. They admitted losing focus on the safety of their product for the profits it made. And look what happened? lots of people died because their cars malfunctioned. Dodge is lucky to not have this happen yet with the amount of problems ive seen with journeys on these blogs. I wish I could turn back time and buy the kia sportage instead seeing as the quality was much better. I just got done yesterday 2/5/12 fixing the camshaft position sensor on mine journey. would have been a quick job but i dropped the damn bolt behind my starter of all places! fought tooth and nail for over 3 hours to get it out. lol needless to say my arms and hands looks like I've been in a brawl! husband says the car is still stalling and has a rough idle. Although he still hasnt reset the mil so i think that may be the issue. plus our starter connections have always been fussy. You have to reach in there and fiddle with the cable on some occasions to get her to start up. I cant wait until I have the means to trade it in because it's going to the next owner to be a lemon for them. I cant handle it anymore. i can say that i fixed the premature break wear problem! thats a plus in a sea on negatives! people have to STOP buying the cheapy pads. I bought the wagner heat therm ceramic pads.(i dont remember the actual name but this is close) not only do they work awesome but theres less break dust on my wheels now. and! they have lasted more than 15k ! whoooo! EVERYONE should buy those pads. their worth the extra money for sure!

You don't say where you live - winter (and grit, sand or heavy dust) can be very hard on cali[ers, noting that seized calipers happen because of environmental influencrs, rather than because of the vehicle;s mass or the way the drivers operate the vehicle.

It sounds to me that you bought a 2 or 3 year old truck with 40K+ miles on it and could have (maybe still can) purchase(d) a factory extended warranty, not that it would have saved you from this next expenditure, which I suspect is about to be a new battery.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're just blowing off steam and don't mean insult to anyone.

Why would this insult folks, unless you designed the car with Caliber brakes knowing full well they were not big enough, people just like a place to vent since Chrysler is ignoring them.

And the reason some folks keep them is because they don't make enough money to just go take a loss on their vehicle.

I actually got a letter from Chrysler (last year) about the brakes and that they would replace them with better made brakes. I had already replaced them with thicker pads, though. At least the manufacturer contacted me without my prompting. Maybe you should bring this to the dealer's attention?

Edited by FiremanFrach

bought my 09 journey se at 42k .

Is that 42,000 miles/km or $42,000???

If it is miles/km then I really feel for you and all your issues you've been having with your Dodge but I feel your being a little too harsh on the manufacturuer and letting the salesperson off the hook who sold you the lemon.......that is the chance you take when your buying a used vehicle. You inherit someone elses problems.

If it is $42,000 you spent for the SE and that is the 4 cylinder model then you've overspent and I can see your anger and frustration when the problems you are having occur.

Hope you find better fortune with your Dodge Journey in future days.

Where to start....Brakes, Brakes, Brakes. I have faught tooth and nail to get them to fix the issue and I finally got them to replace once, then I get a letter from those idiots at Dodge stating they wanted to help with the brake issue as long as I was still under warranty, well guess what, I was way out of warranty and they did not care.

I know that the 09's have brake issues and that must suck large for their owners. I don't know how handy you are but if you are somewhat handy and you are out of warranty then there are a ton of tutorials on youtube on how to replace rotors and pads yourself and it doesn't seem like the impossible to do on your own. You can upgrade to a better quality of brakes for a lot less money that the dealer or even the joe blow mechanic charges and not give the satisfaction to the Dodge service department making any extra cash off their flawed design.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people keep vehicles they are so unhappy with?

Because they buy it and then the value tanks like a rock in water and you can't get out from under it. You're stuck with it.

Not everyone has $20k-$30k in their bank account to drop on a vehicle.

That's what happened to me. Bought an '09 with 35,000 miles on it for $24k and I was immediately upside down on it. It sucks. These things are tanking because they are terrible. There's a reason their value isn't worth a damn.

Edited by Eric Meyers

I agree, if you are unhappy sell it and get something you like. You would do it with anything else you own why is a vehicle any different? Don't keep complaining about it.

Terry

Doesn't always work that way when you finance a vehicle. If the value drops faster than you can pay it off... you're upside down. Then you can't trade it in or sell it for what you owe.

These things are devaluing so bad because their quality is garbage and they're having so many problems. Dodge didn't just screw themselves on this one, they screwed their customers too.

Edited by Eric Meyers

Just because you have had bad luck with a vehicle, doesn't mean the entire company is shit. I have had Chrysler vehicles for the past 12 years and haven't had any major problems with any of my vehicles. I will continue to buy Chrysler vehicles for the forseeable future. I am really happy with my 2011 Crew.