Problems filling up?

drozz

Here's an odd issue. I have a 2011 DJ Crew, and every single time i go to fill up, i can never get the tank filled up fully. It always cuts off when it thinks its full, but when i start up the journey, its never on the full line. I've found that when it stops filling, if i pull the nozzle out a little and continue to fill up slowly, it actually takes a lot mroe gas into the tank. Anyone else have this issue?

And to make it even funnier, this morning I filled up and the pump didn't shut off at all, i think a few $$$ worth of gas ended up on the ground lol.

I am not a mechanic but from personal experience i can answer this,

The auto shut off on the pump operates by sensing the back pressure causes by air being pushed out of the tank as it approaches full capacity. When you remove the pump and reinsert, you allow that pressure to disapates which then allows you to continue filling.

The sensitivity of this varies pump to pump and is not a problem with the Journey but is a function of the pump.

Here's an odd issue. I have a 2011 DJ Crew, and every single time i go to fill up, i can never get the tank filled up fully. It always cuts off when it thinks its full, but when i start up the journey, its never on the full line. I've found that when it stops filling, if i pull the nozzle out a little and continue to fill up slowly, it actually takes a lot mroe gas into the tank. Anyone else have this issue?

And to make it even funnier, this morning I filled up and the pump didn't shut off at all, i think a few $$$ worth of gas ended up on the ground lol.

Edited by Teambedlam

"And to make it even funnier, this morning I filled up and the pump didn't shut off at all, i think a few $$$ worth of gas ended up on the ground lol."

That is why you should usually stop at the auto shut off-so you have fill up a little sooner,

It's not an edurance contest.

The other reason not to over fill is that you can damage the recirc fuel system by

flooding the charcoal canistor the that is part of that system,more $$$.

And to make it even funnier, this morning I filled up and the pump didn't shut off at all, i think a few $$ worth of gas ended up on the ground lol.

I have the exact same issue. At most gas stations, I can never get the gas gauge needle to go to the F when I fill up. I was actually at a different gas station yesterday to fill up. After the pump initially stopped, I was able to put another 10 litres of gas in! This pump actually allowed the gas to come out very very slowly. When I checked the fuel level, it went past the F. This is only the second or third time I've been able to do this since I got my Journey.

At my normal gas station, when I fill up and try to take my time to fill it up as much as possible, the gas gauge needle never makes it to the F. This is a little frustrating to me, since it means I usually never come close to filling the tank and it means I have to fill up more frequently because of that.

On any previous vehicle that I have had, I've never had this issue when filling up. I'm guessing this issue is caused by the design of the fuel filler tube and maybe it was intentional?

I've experienced the opposite problem with my 2011 DJ. With my previous cars I always used to round out to the nearest dollar when filling up. But with the DJ, if it stops and I try to do this, it almost always overflows. So now when it stops I don't try to put any more gas in.

i cant say that i've noticed this much. when it kicks off, there is almost always going to be more room in there. there is usually some form of an air gap for expansion in the tank. plus, you can usually add some of the filler tube to the capacity. i drive a '08 expedition at work. i do the same thing with pulling the nozzle back and running it slow. i can always get another gallon in it. and it doesnt "fill to the top" and stay there, either.

my wrangler has developed the "kickback" problem. the fuel nozzle will cut off... then theres a gurgling sound and 1/4 gallon or so of gas will spit back up out of the filler neck. be glad you dont have to deal with that. lol...

I have the exact same issue. At most gas stations, I can never get the gas gauge needle to go to the F when I fill up. I was actually at a different gas station yesterday to fill up. After the pump initially stopped, I was able to put another 10 litres of gas in! This pump actually allowed the gas to come out very very slowly. When I checked the fuel level, it went past the F. This is only the second or third time I've been able to do this since I got my Journey.

At my normal gas station, when I fill up and try to take my time to fill it up as much as possible, the gas gauge needle never makes it to the F. This is a little frustrating to me, since it means I usually never come close to filling the tank and it means I have to fill up more frequently because of that.

On any previous vehicle that I have had, I've never had this issue when filling up. I'm guessing this issue is caused by the design of the fuel filler tube and maybe it was intentional?

Same as you 100%. My normal gas station is an Ultramar (cause its like 5 cents cheaper lol) it always kicks off before the F line and when i normally slow fill it, i too can add in about another 10L in as well. The only station that seems to actually fill it up is my local Shell which is the most expensive in my area. If i take my 04 honda to the same Ultramar, it fills up right to F then turns off like it should.

Almost sounds like your tank may have a blocked or clogged vent. Same concept as the vent on your kitchen/bathroom sink ... allows airflow to keep things flowing. Especially important since backpressure, which triggers the pumps to kick out, is released that way. Unless these new-fangled modern type vehicles so something different than they did way back when.

i cant say that i've noticed this much. when it kicks off, there is almost always going to be more room in there. there is usually some form of an air gap for expansion in the tank. plus, you can usually add some of the filler tube to the capacity. i drive a '08 expedition at work. i do the same thing with pulling the nozzle back and running it slow. i can always get another gallon in it. and it doesnt "fill to the top" and stay there, either. my wrangler has developed the "kickback" problem. the fuel nozzle will cut off... then theres a gurgling sound and 1/4 gallon or so of gas will spit back up out of the filler neck. be glad you dont have to deal with that. lol...
my daughter had a wrangler x think it was a 2008 and it had had a fuel problem of not filling up good and kicking gas back out of the fuel hole, just before she got rid of it Jeep did a recall on the gas tank by replacing the tanks , so you might want to check with the dealership on that also you dont have to be the oringnal owner for the recall.....

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two Journey's - an '09 and now a '10 (long story). I've never had a problem filling either one. The pumps would click off just as I began to hear gurgling and the gauge always read full afterwards. Every once in a while it shuts off when I first start pumping, but I found repositioning the nozzle slightly solves the issue.

There were some Ram's that had issues with the pump clicking off early or late and it turned out to be a problem with the gas tank itself.

If you're having such problems I suggest you visit your local dealer and have it checked out. Especially if you're still under warranty.

It is important to resist the urge to round up when filling. Once the pump clicks off, then don't add anymore. As mentioned you could cause damage to the vehicle's fuel EVAP system.

I would be fine with stopping the fill up when the pump clicked off, if the tank was actually close to full! If I stop at the first time the pump clicks off, I only get to about 7/8ths full (the last line before the F mark). That is nowhere near full. I can EASILY get at least another 10 litres in the tank after this point.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue when I first picked up my 2010 SXT. It was SO frustrating. I couldn't get past half a tank without the pump clicking off on me. I took my journey back to the dealer, and they fixed the problem at no cost to me, and I haven't had a problem since. It was a venting issue, they said. To be honest, I don't remember all of the details other than to tell you you're not alone =), and it can be fixed for free by your dealer.