8.4 Uconnect...where is it??

dsomlo

I recently purchased a 2011 Journey R/T in Toronto, Canada. That's the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles, at least according to the Dodge brochure and website. According to the Dodge literature the R/T model is supposed to come with the 8.4 inch Uconnect system. But my Journey R/T was delivered with the much small 4.3 inch Uconnect system. Its not horrible but its not nearly as nice as the 8.4 version and something that I had paid for when I chose the top of the line R/T model. So I wrote Chrysler asking to have the correct unit installed and was told it was my tough luck. I accepted the car "as is" from the dealer and because I didn't notice it when I picked up the car I was out of luck. And of course the Dodge saleseman wasn't about to tell me of this omission in the car, like its a deep dark Chrysler marketing secret. Promote the high end options in the upper models but short change the vehicles on the assembly line hoping the customers won't notice. This is why Chrysler is the number three (i.e. worst) North American automaker. They treat their customers like CRAP. Hopefully Fiat will shake things up in a big way. But this Journey is my first and absolutely LAST Chrysler product my family will be purchasing.

Has anyone else out there been short changed by Chrysler? Maybe there can be power in numbers to get this third rate automaker to start behaving like the customers are number one.

Due to last years Tsunami in Japan, the 8.4 became unavailable on later 2011 builds and the 4.3 was substituted in its place. It was only last month that the 8.4 became available again for ordering. It does seem wierd that you were not informed of this issue at time of purchase. May I ask the name of the dealer in question?

I recently purchased a 2011 Journey R/T in Toronto, Canada. That's the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles, at least according to the Dodge brochure and website. According to the Dodge literature the R/T model is supposed to come with the 8.4 inch Uconnect system. But my Journey R/T was delivered with the much small 4.3 inch Uconnect system. Its not horrible but its not nearly as nice as the 8.4 version and something that I had paid for when I chose the top of the line R/T model. So I wrote Chrysler asking to have the correct unit installed and was told it was my tough luck. I accepted the car "as is" from the dealer and because I didn't notice it when I picked up the car I was out of luck. And of course the Dodge saleseman wasn't about to tell me of this omission in the car, like its a deep dark Chrysler marketing secret. Promote the high end options in the upper models but short change the vehicles on the assembly line hoping the customers won't notice. This is why Chrysler is the number three (i.e. worst) North American automaker. They treat their customers like CRAP. Hopefully Fiat will shake things up in a big way. But this Journey is my first and absolutely LAST Chrysler product my family will be purchasing.

Has anyone else out there been short changed by Chrysler? Maybe there can be power in numbers to get this third rate automaker to start behaving like the customers are number one.

I too got a R/T, expecting it to come with the 8.4; but when I got the car, it was the 4.3 instead. I remembered clearly that the website said ALL Crew and R/T's will have the 8.4 as a standard. I've also got the 2011 brochure that said the 8.4 is a difference against the SXT, which means it should be standard on the Crew's and R/T's. Since this happened, I emailed my dealer in Vancouver and they said:

Ricky,

Thankyou for your email I am familar with the Journey brouchere and have been informed of this before.Unfortunately the brouchere is not quite accurate as they where printed in the beginning of the model year and package content change throughout the model year.We have endeavoured to correct this with the manufacturer however there is a upgrade cost to a 8.4 inch screen which the customer would have to pay.

Kelly Lum

Salesmanager

It kind of sucks I know...

its not nearly as nice as the 8.4 version and something that I had paid for when I chose the top of the line R/T model.

Actually, you probably didn't pay for it. All of the Journey's that ended up with 4.3" due to the parts shortage should have had a credit on the window sticker. The sale price would have included that credit. In the US, the credit was $1000. Not sure what it would have been in Canada. All of the 2012 Journey's that are on the lot at my dealer still have the 4.3" screen, and all of them have a price reduction of $1000 printed right on the window sticker.

I feel for you, but I guess I don't understand how you could not notice that the 8.4" screen was missing before driving the car home. That 8.4" screen is THE reason that I even started looking at a Journey, and was the first thing I noticed missing when seeing the 4.3" screens on the lot.

Same with me. I actually was starting to look at other vehicles because the 4.3 looked so tiny and out of place. I'm so glad they are back now :)

That 8.4" screen is THE reason that I even started looking at a Journey, and was the first thing I noticed missing when seeing the 4.3" screens on the lot.

At what point did you notice that this 2011 (which at this point was on a dealer lot, not an order, since the 2012s have been on the lots here for a few months now) didn't have the 8.4? After you drove it home? This is something that most people would have noticed on the test drive - or at least when looking at it on the lot before signing the sales contract. I'm confused how you can feel short changed on something that should have been glaringly obvious on first sight, before you took possession.

The dealer in question here is Woodbone Chrysler in Markham Ontario. And to clarify how I came to this point. I did buy the car off the lot and did see the 4" uconnect screen in the car. What i did not know until after I took possession was that the R/T model was supposed to have the 8' screen as standard equipment. There was no indication on the vehicle sticker of a price reduction to highlight the change or account financially for the switch. My salesman was very inept so I'm not surprised he didn't either know or just witheld that bit of info to make sale. I understand that an organization can have supply issues. What I can't tolerate is the deception and the unwillingness to correct the situation after the fact. Toyota and Honda get customer service, Why can't Chrysler?

The dealer in question here is Woodbone Chrysler in Markham Ontario. And to clarify how I came to this point. I did buy the car off the lot and did see the 4" uconnect screen in the car. What i did not know until after I took possession was that the R/T model was supposed to have the 8' screen as standard equipment. There was no indication on the vehicle sticker of a price reduction to highlight the change or account financially for the switch.

I can see why you would be mad if you paid for the 8.4" screen and didn't get it. But I really don't think you did. It sounds like you didn't even know the 8.4" screen existed before buying the car. It would have been great to get the 8.4", but the fact remains that they simply weren't available when you bought the car. What should Chrysler have done differently? They already marked the cars down to account for the screen swap. Should the sales person at the dealer have told you that if you wait a while the 8.4" screen MIGHT be available again? Sure, he should have told you that. But I don't bother getting mad when sales people know less about the cars they sell than I do. That's pretty much the norm. Before spending the kind of money that a new car costs, I do a whole heck of a lot of research. I've read the owner's manual twice, and I don't even have the car yet. You should always know more about the car you're buying then the sales person. If you're relying on them to tell you everything you need to know, you're going to be disappointed.

Do you still have your window sticker? Are you absolutely sure there was no credit? Take a look at this window sticker. Do you see the credit? If you really didn't get a credit for the lack of 8.4" screen, you've got a legitimate complaint and should at least get that credit refunded to you.

WindowSticker(2).pdf

The dealer in question here is Woodbone Chrysler in Markham Ontario. And to clarify how I came to this point. I did buy the car off the lot and did see the 4" uconnect screen in the car. What i did not know until after I took possession was that the R/T model was supposed to have the 8' screen as standard equipment. There was no indication on the vehicle sticker of a price reduction to highlight the change or account financially for the switch. My salesman was very inept so I'm not surprised he didn't either know or just witheld that bit of info to make sale. I understand that an organization can have supply issues. What I can't tolerate is the deception and the unwillingness to correct the situation after the fact. Toyota and Honda get customer service, Why can't Chrysler?

Sorry but it sounds like someone besides the salesman was inept.

I feel as though I got short changed by Chrysler on my '11 R/T also nicely equipped. I ponied up to the 8.N (Navigation) as the brochure said BLUETOOTH WAS INCLUDED. It was not upon delivery. I called Customer Care, but they were unapologetic and did not care the least. Basically it amounts to mis-advertizing.

I can see why you're POd...I love my 8.4N, it is really incredible. When I have people travel in my car, they are basically stunned by the massive screen, all the features, and the Nav to boot. I know why they haven't been able to put the 8.4s in of late, but it's still a shame. You have to buy one hell of an expensive car to get that same kind of tech.

Sorry but it sounds like someone besides the salesman was inept.

Yah, I was inept. Inept for not studying every snippet of car literature available like a med school exam. Inept for thinking that Chrysler would operate at the ethical level of other car companies I have dealt with over the years. My bad. I for one am not so quick to rationalize away their deceptive sales practices. Chrysler has lost me as customer. To hell with them.

Yah, I was inept. Inept for not studying every snippet of car literature available like a med school exam. Inept for thinking that Chrysler would operate at the ethical level of other car companies I have dealt with over the years. My bad. I for one am not so quick to rationalize away their deceptive sales practices. Chrysler has lost me as customer. To hell with them.

How did they deceive you? Did they show you a car with the 8.4" screen and then swap it on you at the last minute in hopes you wouldn't notice? No, you saw a car with a 4.3" screen, and you liked the car enough to buy it. If you can dig up your window sticker, I think you'll see that you didn't pay for the 8.4". How long ago did you buy the car? If you had done research and known that the 8.4" screen normally comes with the car, how long would you have waited to get it?

Don't feel too bad because something similar happened to me too. I looked at a 2011 Lux on the lot with the old bumper style and liked it and thought I ordered one like it. When mine came in it had the new style bumper. At first I was pissed but have since decided it was the best look of the two. :)

Why is it always someone else's fault? I spilled my coffee in my lap and burned myself - it was McDonald's fault for making their coffee HOT! I was playing with a metal pool skimmer under a power line and electrocuted myself - it was the manufacturer's fault for not warning me the metal conducts electricity! I looked at a car with a 4.3" screen and found out later it should have been equipped with an 8.4" screen - the manufacturer lied to me and are b@$^$ for not changing it after I bought it!

There's just no personal accountability these days. You bought a 4.3, when they were available they came with an 8.4. But that is NOT what you purchased! But right, it's not your fault ... it's Chrysler's. Lying to you about the feature you saw and tested before you purchased. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

No, no, I'm not very sympathetic on this one. I also notice that you've had no comment on the items printed on your window sticker that several people have mentioned you should check. If there is no credit for the 8.4 delete, I'll retract my lack of sympathy.

Chris, I agree completely with what you said.

People should take the time to become informed about whatever it is they are buying. I spent a few months researching everything I could about the Journey before I bought mine. I knew EXACTLY what I was getting.

Well some dealerships and salesperson are just not honest. My dad and I went to the dealership on Nov 1, we were asking the salesperson about the upgrades etc, e.g. standard 8.4 on all R/Ts, he said yes. Leather seats on all R/Ts, yes as well. He told us about a R/T that pretty much fitted what we wanted, and we decided to buy that one. It was a 2011 model, and they wanted to clear the lot, so we HAD to pick it up the next day, otherwise we won't get all the discounts that he's giving us. The next day, when my dad was doing the payments, we found out that you had to pay extra for the leather seats, even though they're 'standard' on al R/Ts. And when we drove the car away after all the payments were done, we then found out it came with a 4.3. We couldn't do anything about it then because all the payments were done. We also didn't get a chance to test drive the car before paying because they said the car didn't belong to us yet. Nonetheless, we accepted what we're ended up with because of all the deals and extras the dealership gave us. Hope that was not too confusing, I couldn't really word the story in english. But again, some dealerships just keep giving you bullcrap.

we then found out it came with a 4.3. We couldn't do anything about it then because all the payments were done. We also didn't get a chance to test drive the car before paying because they said the car didn't belong to us yet.

You agreed to purchase a car and signed all the paperwork before even seeing the car? And didn't push the issue when the dealer refused to let you test drive the car you were buying? I assume you won't be making that mistake again.

You agreed to purchase a car and signed all the paperwork before even seeing the car? And didn't push the issue when the dealer refused to let you test drive the car you were buying? I assume you won't be making that mistake again.

Well that was my Dad's choice because he thought the dealership would be honest with us, and also because if we didn't buy it that day we would lose all our deals. Well this has never happened to us before, I'm sure my dad has learnt the lesson. But we're quite happy with what we got though, because the dealership gave us a 5.0" GPS, roof cross bars, free doc fees etc, and employee pricing. Great car nonetheless~

Well that was my Dad's choice because he thought the dealership would be honest with us, and also because if we didn't buy it that day we would lose all our deals. Well this has never happened to us before, I'm sure my dad has learnt the lesson. But we're quite happy with what we got though, because the dealership gave us a 5.0" GPS, roof cross bars, free doc fees etc, and employee pricing. Great car nonetheless~

Based on what I just read, don't let your dad give you advice where to invest your retirement! :drool:

I'd have run screaming from any dealership that refused me a test drive!! Heck, my dealership let me take the Journey overnight before we made our final decision. Hopefully you never deal with that dealership again - and have another one near you. Nothing says thanks for being a jerk like taking your NEXT new vehicle (most effective with the same brand) and stopping by to say you didn't get this commission/sale because you're dishonest. Also advantageous to make this point fairly noticeably when their showroom is full of potential sales.

Yes, I did this to a Ford salesman once who didn't even give us the courtesy of a callback to discuss options. Stopped by with my new car from somewhere else and said you really should have called me back. I may be 'a kid' (early 20's at the time), but I was quite serious about buying a new vehicle. See? Tainted my chances of visiting that dealership ever again, even though he hasn't been there for years now. Nothing stings commission sales like knowing they lost a sale ... because odds are no matter what happens years down the road, they'll never choose to speak with YOU again. Why people go into service jobs who don't care about service is beyond me.

Long rambling aside, sorry your dad got roped by a shady salesman ... glad he likes the R/T anyway!!

Wow they let you take the car home? I don't think that'll ever happen with the Dodge's here in BC.

A few years back when my Dad was buying a mercedes, that dealership did let us drive it back home (~40km) to check whether our driveway would scratch the bumper/bottom of the car.

I guess Americans work by a different set of instructions or something. But they were really nice to us, I think they were just really strict with the rules.

Yeah I hope we won't had to deal with that dealership ever again, other than those costly maintenance and stuff.

I'm not sure what rules the US dealerships play by. I'm in Ontario. :P But we had it overnight, took it back the next morning and continued the paperwork. We had already had the dealer run the numbers on financing and everything ... so it really came down to that 'real life' trial. We put on about 80km that night. Around town, highway, and a couple of back roads. All the normal places we drive, to get a feel. Even to Walmart. lol Of course, dealerships vary. Maybe it helps that I've been dealing with these people professionally since the 90's and am first-name basis with them all. Or that I was already a customer with my Sebring for years. But I know the dealership experience can vary a lot.

So far, I've been pretty lucky. The only ones I've had much dealing with have been great - including one in Eau Claire, Wisconsin a couple years back when the rear strut mount snapped on the Sebring coming home from vacation. They were very helpful, even got us a special rate on a hotel room for a couple of nights while we waited for parts. Top notch. And they didn't know me from a hole in the wall.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think the best way would be to confront the dealer about getting the credit for the lack of 8.4" screen refunded to me? I just purchased a 2012 Crew and it was the only one on the lot and I didn't know they were giving a credit for the lack of the 8.4" screen, I went back into the dealer this evening (1 week later) to pick up my green slip/registration and noticed they had 2 other 2012 Crew models now that both have a $1000 credit applied to the window sticker (right above the "total price"). I have my sticker still in the car and there is no credit on the invoice, i also know it wasn't applied due to the "total price,"--my sticker price is exactly 1,000 more than identical 2012 crew models on the lot that have the credit applied.

I'm just wondering who you guys think the best point of contact would be when bringing up something like this. Thanks.