Problems with USB

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum, and am hoping that someone can provide some insight to a problem I'm having while listening to tunes through the USB port. I j have a 2012 Journey SXT with the uConnect 4.3/stock speakers. I've noticed a lot of distortion when playing back Mp3s. I'm using a brand new 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit drive (only loaded with about 900 songs so far), and all the songs have been ripped at 256 kbps or higher. All the files are copies from my home PC, and sound great on any other play-back device. A lot of the songs sound good up to a certain volume level (say 12 or 13) but start to distort at volume beyond that. Other songs are distorted no matter how quiet or loud they're played at.

Is this distortion just a function of the quality of stock speakers ? Or, is there something more to it, like a hardware/software limitiation/bug in the UConnect system? It seems like a few of you have put quite a bit of testing into what you're listening to, so I just thought I'd throw it out to you.

thanks.

Alex

Not sure. Have you tried an iPod or other mp3 player? I would. Also try another USB memory unit. Maybe it is something with its software. How do CDs sound? Or the radio? If they "distort" then I would blame the system in some capacity. I think you ultimately have to do some testing and come up with a theory about the problem. If you are not satisfied, take it back to your service folks. Good luck. Report back. There are helpful folks here.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum, and am hoping that someone can provide some insight to a problem I'm having while listening to tunes through the USB port. I j have a 2012 Journey SXT with the uConnect 4.3/stock speakers. I've noticed a lot of distortion when playing back Mp3s. I'm using a brand new 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit drive (only loaded with about 900 songs so far), and all the songs have been ripped at 256 kbps or higher. All the files are copies from my home PC, and sound great on any other play-back device. A lot of the songs sound good up to a certain volume level (say 12 or 13) but start to distort at volume beyond that. Other songs are distorted no matter how quiet or loud they're played at.

Is this distortion just a function of the quality of stock speakers ? Or, is there something more to it, like a hardware/software limitiation/bug in the UConnect system? It seems like a few of you have put quite a bit of testing into what you're listening to, so I just thought I'd throw it out to you.

thanks.

Alex

graphix41,

redtomatoman has a good point, I'd basically run through the process of elimination and determine if it's your equipment and at what level. Is it just the vehicle, the hardware you are attempting to use etc.

And as always see what your dealer has to say, might be an easy fix if for example it's related to the vehicle itself.

I might be wrong but I think that's your problem: it's too much for the very limited processing power of the uconnect 4.3.

I spoke to UConnect support, and they claim that there is no "maximum bit rate limit". They suggested there might be a problem with my flash drive. I told them I was using a brand new Sandisk drive, and they said Sandisk is certainly a supported brand. The Uconnect rep suggested I take the car back to the dealer to see if they can troubleshoot the issue.

I put in a 16 gig USB, has over 800+ songs, 8.4 Uconnect reads them and all with the album art. No sure where the limitations comes in. This is what I used. Amazing USB's are so small now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220753

That's very similar to the Sandisk Cruzer that I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K0F13305.

I did test some of the songs from the flash drive against duplicate files on my mp3 player connected via an auxiliary cable, and the mp3 player definitely didn't have the same fuzzy/distorted sound as most of the tracks on the flash drive. I'm not sure if that's because the player does a better job processing the files than Uconnect, or if it proves there's a problem with the USB port and/or drive? Maybe if I take the car back to the dealer I can test the flash drive in other Journeys, or take the flash drive up to a car audio shop and try plugging it into one of their displays.

I do know that even when using the mp3 player the speakers seem to reach their limits at a volume level of 14 or 15, which is a little disappointing. I'd like to upgrade the speakers, but don't want to do that until I know this USB issue is resolved.

I'd take it to the dealer. I have the 8.4 Alpine system and I can go all the way to 35 without distortion. Different system I know, but you should be able to approach 35 on the 4.3 without distortion. Some say the Alpine is not loud enough, but its fine for me. Good Luck. Maybe stay with an mp3 player.

Peace.

So I popped in a few CDs over the weekend and found that they sounded pretty bad too. That didn't make sense to me, so I reset the EQ attributes to 0 and started over. Once the EQ was reset to 0 the tunes playing out of both the CD player and USB port showed immediate improvement. Now I have to turn the volume up a little higher (16 or 17) to get to an enjoyable level, but at least it's not fuzzy/static-y/distorted. Of course, on the other-hand the tunes are now a little more "flat" or "lifeless", but I'll take that over the alternative.