2011 Journey front driver side splash shield

tstone

(Not sure if this is in the correct forum.)

See the picture attached.

I was looking around the car the other day and noticed that there is no splash shield on the front driver side behind the tire. However there are bolt holes that suggest one should be there. You can see one by the brake hose and the other one is mostly covered by another shield. This opening exposes the side of the transmission to the elements, as you can clearly see. Now when I go to the passenger side, there actually is a cover held down by 2 bolts; the holes are in the same location as the driver side.

I went to the dealership thinking my wife ran over some debris and they said there is no cover on the 2011's. So I went to look myself at the Journeys on the lot and sure enough, neither the 4 or 6 cylinder models had covers, but all had the empty bolt holes.

Is this some sort of cost cutting measure? Did the '09-'10 models have covers there, and will one from those model years fit my 2011? It's a little bothersome to me, to see the side of the transmission exposed like this.

post-4205-0-51371000-1317222101_thumb.jp

Edited by tstone

I was looking around the car the other day and noticed that there is no splash shield on the front driver side behind the tire. However there are bolt holes that suggest one should be there. You can see one by the brake hose and the other one is mostly covered by another shield. This opening exposes the side of the transmission to the elements, as you can clearly see. Now when I go to the passenger side, there actually is a cover held down by 2 bolts; the holes are in the same location as the driver side.

I went to the dealership thinking my wife ran over some debris and they said there is no cover on the 2011's. So I went to look myself at the Journeys on the lot and sure enough, neither the 4 or 6 cylinder models had covers, but all had the empty bolt holes.

Is this some sort of cost cutting measure? Did the '09-'10 models have covers there, and will one from those model years fit my 2011? It's a little bothersome to me, to see the side of the transmission exposed like this.

i wouldnt be worried about the missing shield as the trans and motor is not going to be protected by a cover made out of plastic . have had my d.j. 6months and hand wash and wax it often and have not ever noticed this. yes it probaly was a cost cutting reduction to save. but i wouldnt be worried about it.

i wouldnt be worried about the missing shield as the trans and motor is not going to be protected by a cover made out of plastic . have had my d.j. 6months and hand wash and wax it often and have not ever noticed this. yes it probaly was a cost cutting reduction to save. but i wouldnt be worried about it.

no splash guard on driver side on my 2009 SXT , it don't need one anyway. There is one on the passenger side to protect the engine/accessories belts and prevent them to deteriorate quickly and squeal like a dying pig.

Edited by Burn

• Official Dodge Support

Tstone,

I agree with Burn. There is no cover there because the exposure is a sealed unit. The other side has components that are not sealed. As far as the holes being there that is for a totally different reason. These vehicles are sold in other countries and the engine compartment configuration for some countries requires components in that location that are not sealed and require a cover.