Where is the oil going

MWG

• 3 weeks later...

They've started the consumption test all over again for the 3rd time.I was told by the dealership last week the Chrysler says losing 1 litre of oil every 1600 km is okay.When I go back for another oil change I would of added a extra 3 litres.1600 km x 3 is 4800 km.Now my question is Why I'm I added 3 extra litres at $5 a pop between oil changes and other Journey owner that don't lose oil are not.Normally a oil change is around $60.I'm paying $80 between oil changes.My Journey now has 60,000 km,It's a 2010.i've put on over 20.000 km since this started.So keeping a 6 pack of oil in the back is normal.Who here keeps extra oil in their 2 yr. old car.I was also told that the dipstick registers 2 litres and I guess 3 litres in the oil pan.So when no oil is on the dipstick it's only 2 litres missing. Is this true?

Edited by MWG

I'll lay you odds it's the DEALERs idea of normal.

I ran into that with a new Caravan I bought as it was using a liter

of oil every 700 kms,the original dealer said oh that's normal.

I found a dealer (service manager) who said it was not and checked

turned out it was out on Service Bulletin about valve guides in

that particular engine being bad and Chrysler paid the shot.

Never have had another Chrysler with problem of oil consumption

like that or like yours.I still use the same dealer and serv mgr since 1984.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm going Thursday for a oil top up. The Journey has only 833km since the last oil change and the oil level is below half way on the dipstick. So if the info I go from the dealership is right it should be down over 1 litre. No where near 1 litre every 1600km.My wife is leaving for a 2800km drive to the states. I guess i will ask the dealer for some free litres of oil so she can top up down there.What a joke.

So I checked the oil before my wife went on her trip. The oil was down about half way from the full line to the safe line at only 822km. I made a appointment and drove all the way to the dealership and was told the oil was fine it was full.??????????????Why would I make a appointment if the oil was okay.I checked the oil when she got back from her trip June 11. It was down half way below the safe line and the end of the dipstick.She put on about 4800km from the last oil change. I made a appointment. They changed the oil and I was told that I was down only 3/4 of a liter.?????????. Can somebody please tell me how much oil shows on the dipstick.I was told 2 liters by the service manager and 3 in the oilpan.If the oil was down below half way on the dipstick shouldn't that be over a liter.Anyway I talked to the gerneral manager and I told him I will come in at 5000km. and I'll show him there won't be any oil on the dipstick.I'm really tempted to take my car to a oil change place at a point where the oil was on the dipstick when they said it was down 3/4 of a liter to see if it matches .But I think showing no oil on the dipstick at 5000km will get the ball rolling. This is my 3rd oil consumption test.I'm also going to mention why I have to pay for extra liters of oil between oil changes when other people do not because their cars don't lose oil if Chrysler says this is normal.I just want to say I do not blame anybody at the dealership ,They didn't build the engine. But I talk to different people and they don't have a clue.That's how I started the consumption test 3 times.I also noticed they misplaced my oil consumption paperwork and they had to start a new one.This all started around 40,000km.I now have almost 70,000km.

This is my 3rd oil consumption test.I'm also going to mention why I have to pay for extra liters of oil between oil changes when other people do not because their cars don't lose oil if Chrysler says this is normal.I just want to say I do not blame anybody at the dealership ,They didn't build the engine. But I talk to different people and they don't have a clue.That's how I started the consumption test 3 times.I also noticed they misplaced my oil consumption paperwork and they had to start a new one.This all started around 40,000km.I now have almost 70,000km.

You are way too polite and nice......I'd be fuming mad if they said they misplaced my paperwork! :angry22: Sounds like they are trying to give you the run around until you give up or your warranty expires. There is no way in hell that your oil consumption is normal and they know it.

Well, I can say with absolute certainty that my wife's RT has the same issue.

It is currently in the service bay at a dealership 40 miles from our house with a locked up engine. It happened while the wife was on a road trip, she said she was getting on the interstate, she heard some clicking (obviously valve knock), and started to pull over, when the car just died. The service tech said that the dipstick was completely dry, and requested our oil change receipts.

It had been about 3000 miles since the last change. I noticed earlier this year (around the time of the last change) that the oil was down at the bottom of the dipstick, but didn't think much of it at the time, as I was changing the oil.

Luckily, we were able to provide all the receipts, so they ordered a new long block under warranty (we have the MaxCare). I'm going to make sure they check out the top end as well, to make sure nothing was damaged by the lack of oil.

I'll be interested to find out what the final verdict is if they can find any reason for the disappearing oil.

Hi, The top up in March was the last of the oil consumption test. I phoned my sales person at the dealership on Monday and left a message. He has not called me back. Today I will phone him. You would think Chrysler would want that engine to find out the problem.Now that the test is over,the next step is the dealership to contact Chrysler.

I'm in the same boat. 3.5L V6 OIL will not last even 5K. Currently just did an oil consumption test through the dealer and that has led to nothing so far. Called them today and they haven't even talked to Chrysler about it. This has been an ongoing battle for them to even do something, as we are getting sick of having them add oil every 2K to the car. On top of that we now have gas consumption going through the roof. Sitting at 19.6 per 100KM.

Car is going back in soon again.

Sean

Adam, If a long block means a complete engine minus the intake,the exhaust manifolds, compressors etc. Then thats good . Once the oil drops the heat increases and destroys everything inside.I just don't understand how Chrysler says this is normal. 1 litre every 1600km. HA.

Yep, I talked to them again today. They were very reserved about replacing it under warranty. They wanted extra documentation from our Oil change place to prove the changes.

After they dropped the oil pan, they found less than 1qt of oil left in the darned thing. The service tech couldn't believe that it could possibly NOT be owner neglect. After producing all required documentation, they couldn't say no to the replacement, so the Long block is on it's way. He did state it's a full long block, the only thing to be re-used is the intake and accessories.

I'm going to make sure that the wife knows how to check her oil, and have her do it whenever she fills it with gas. I don't want to go through this headache again :)

So far, it's been about 3 weeks since we dropped it off. Luckily Chrysler extended the rental coverage WELL beyond the 5 days that MaxCare offers, so we won't have any out-of pocket cost for this headache. After I complained that it was taking much more time than it should to get this thing back to us, they agreed.

So, barring any surprises, we should have "Jenny" back in the driveway by early next week at the latest.

I have been following this thread with interest. I hope all who have this oil consumption issue get new engines. That's what you deserve, IMHO. Congrats on Jenny's new engine Adam. I hope you get a new engine as well MWG. I think you've been as patient a customer as any company could ask for. Just because it runs doesn't mean its all ok. Best of Luck to you.

Peace.

I too have a 2009 dodge journey 3.5L with 44,000 miles that is going through oil. I have used Amsoil ATMTP 10w30 and Wix Synthetic Filters since the first oil change. I change at 6000 per dodge recommended drain intervals miles even though amsoil recommends 15,000 for a severe duty interval.

The Wife recently drove the journey down to San Diego to meet me while I was out on business, When she arrived I heard the ticking noise, which seemed odd, no warning light, no overheat, no rough running, but I checked the dipstick and was alarmed to see that there was no oil. I added 2 Quarts to get it back to safe zone and drove it home where i immediately drained the oil and replaced with amsoil again.

I change my own oil because I don't trust anyone else to do it right. I do have all of my purchase records from amsoil, will this be sufficient proof of maintence for a warranty repair?

There is absolutely no reason for a new car like this to be going through this much oil. My other vehicle is a Hot rod Cummins 5.9 dodge ram. It leaks oil regularly and it still does not consume as much as the journey.

Yep, I talked to them again today. They were very reserved about replacing it under warranty. They wanted extra documentation from our Oil change place to prove the changes.

After they dropped the oil pan, they found less than 1qt of oil left in the darned thing. The service tech couldn't believe that it could possibly NOT be owner neglect. After producing all required documentation, they couldn't say no to the replacement, so the Long block is on it's way. He did state it's a full long block, the only thing to be re-used is the intake and accessories.

I'm going to make sure that the wife knows how to check her oil, and have her do it whenever she fills it with gas. I don't want to go through this headache again :)

So far, it's been about 3 weeks since we dropped it off. Luckily Chrysler extended the rental coverage WELL beyond the 5 days that MaxCare offers, so we won't have any out-of pocket cost for this headache. After I complained that it was taking much more time than it should to get this thing back to us, they agreed.

So, barring any surprises, we should have "Jenny" back in the driveway by early next week at the latest.

Hi, Can somebody please tell me where the full mark is on the 2010 Journey 3.5 dipstick.Is it the line at the top of the safe zone or is it that little bump on the dipstick?Thanks. The dipstick has no Full word.Thanks.

We had our journey in for a major engine rebuild to. We had the rental car for 3 weeks and it did not cost is anything. Where are you located ?

We live in NH, but the dealership the car is at is in Mass. At first, they told us that Maxcare only covers 5 days of rental. It wasn't until after I raised a stink with Chrysler that they extended it 25 more days. The Car Rental place was calling us every day asking for updates, it was a headache.

I too have a 2009 dodge journey 3.5L with 44,000 miles that is going through oil. I have used Amsoil ATMTP 10w30 and Wix Synthetic Filters since the first oil change. I change at 6000 per dodge recommended drain intervals miles even though amsoil recommends 15,000 for a severe duty interval.

The Wife recently drove the journey down to San Diego to meet me while I was out on business, When she arrived I heard the ticking noise, which seemed odd, no warning light, no overheat, no rough running, but I checked the dipstick and was alarmed to see that there was no oil. I added 2 Quarts to get it back to safe zone and drove it home where i immediately drained the oil and replaced with amsoil again.

I change my own oil because I don't trust anyone else to do it right. I do have all of my purchase records from amsoil, will this be sufficient proof of maintence for a warranty repair?

There is absolutely no reason for a new car like this to be going through this much oil. My other vehicle is a Hot rod Cummins 5.9 dodge ram. It leaks oil regularly and it still does not consume as much as the journey.

I did a few of the changes myself, and they accepted the receipts I provided. It probably didn't hurt that I sent a copy of my Oil Logbook I keep for it showing the dates and mileage on each change. I log every bit of maintenance to all my cars, because my memory for such things is horrible :)

I think from now on I'm also going to photograph the Odometer at each change, with the datestamp, just to prevent any possible future headaches. They really seemed to want ABSOLUTE PROOF of mileage for each change, which if you do it yourself is kind of difficult.

As long as you are using oil and filters that meet Chrysler standards and you have a copy of all the receipts there should be no issues having your warranty voided.

Can someone please tell me where the full mark is on a 2010 Journey 3.5 dipstick.Thanks.

Here's what it says in the 2010 DJ owners manual regarding checking oil:

Copy & Paste

Checking Oil Level

To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must

be maintained at the correct level. Check the oil level at

regular intervals, such as every fuel stop. The best time to

check the engine oil level is about five minutes after a

fully warmed engine is shut off. Do not check oil level

before starting the engine after it has sat overnight.

Checking engine oil level when the engine is cold will

give you an incorrect reading.

Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground and

only when the engine is hot, will improve the accuracy of

the oil level readings. Maintain the oil level between the

range markings on the dipstick. Either the range markings

consist of a crosshatch zone marked SAFE or a

crosshatch zone marked with MIN at the low end of the

range and MAX at the high end of the range. Adding

1.0 qt (1.0 l) of oil when the reading is at the low end of

the range marking will raise the oil level to the high end

of the range marking.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Okay thanks.So Full is the top line in the crosshatch zone (or Safe Zone) NOT the U shaped bend in the dipstick above the safe zone.If this is true then something isn't right.I won't say anything more until I check the oil this morning.Thanks.