Burning oil smell?

• 2 months later...

09 SXT AWD.

Only on long trip we get a burning oil smell.

The dealer said the right side axles seal were bad and replaced them both.

I'm thinking transfer case gets hot producing this smell.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks

I have a 09 SXT AWD too and I was driving down the highway and started smelling a strange smell as well. When I stopped and popped open the hood white smoke came out. I continued to try and had no loss of power and the air and heat still worked but the smell was still there. I just took it to Dodge and they cant find an issue. Any thoughts.

• 8 years later...

I have a new 2019 Journey 3.6L AWD. It just hit 3k miles. I notice a burning oil smell after driving up and down hills. When going up steep hills, I watched the oil pressure gauge and at about 4k RPM, the gauge maxes out. Not sure if this is normal or not, and not sure if the smell is part of the "break in". Any thoughts?

• Official Dodge Support
17 hours ago, Steve75 said:

Yeah, everything looks fine. No cracks/leaks I can see. Level is fine. Will take it by the dealer and have them check it out.

Hi Steve75, Glad to hear you are going to be working with your dealer for this concern. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help.
Rob
DodgeCares