Rear bumper

Powdered Toast Man

On my 2011, I've noticed that the rear bumper (fascia) isn't staying well aligned where it meets the body panels. The line over by the rear headlamps - the plastic rear fascia keeps sort of "popping out". I can push it back in and it stays for a while but after a while I'll look and it'll be popped out again. It's like there's no bolt or clip behind it to keep it locked down...

Anyone else seen this?

On my 2011, I've noticed that the rear bumper (fascia) isn't staying well aligned where it meets the body panels. The line over by the rear headlamps - the plastic rear fascia keeps sort of "popping out". I can push it back in and it stays for a while but after a while I'll look and it'll be popped out again. It's like there's no bolt or clip behind it to keep it locked down...

Anyone else seen this?

I took my tail light out to see what type of clip was used. The way the quarter panel wraps around there is little room for a good push plug. So they made up some type of plug that is made to grip it. Pretty chicken s#$%. Talked to a tech at the body shop, he said alot of owners have brought their journey in but there is no fix, short of putting a screw into it. My paint is worn off on the bumper where it rubs only 500 miles on it. The joys of new car ownership.

• 4 weeks later...

I took my tail light out to see what type of clip was used. The way the quarter panel wraps around there is little room for a good push plug. So they made up some type of plug that is made to grip it. Pretty chicken s#$%. Talked to a tech at the body shop, he said alot of owners have brought their journey in but there is no fix, short of putting a screw into it. My paint is worn off on the bumper where it rubs only 500 miles on it. The joys of new car ownership just got mine fixed yesterday at the dealership, they repainted and said they put in a clip to hold it, i forgot to ask if they did both sides as my problem was just the right side. my sales man came out side to talk to me and said they just got one off the truck and sold it and they were going to have to fix both sides on that one. oh well. made in mexico.

Look where the tail light meets the bumper at the rear of the car. On our one the bumper sticks out about 1cm towards the tailgate side. The bumper on the left of the car is almost a flush fit with the lamp. Compare both sides and you'll see what I mean. Then again yours might be okay so nothing to worry about.

Cheers!

Just wanted to post back that I have I fixed it... (for now)... The problem that I noticed is that the clip itself seemed too lose to adequately hold the bumper without allowing it to move... I added a couple washers to make it a more snug fit, and now it doesn't move. Kind of a mickey mouse solution, but it works.

Yeah, mine is the same way. got a call for their customer service today and I mentioned it, they want me to bring it in first thing tomorrow morning to have a quick look before they book a full appotiment and have me drop it off. Will be interesting to see what they say.

So, didnt really get the answer I was expecting...

the shop manager came out and checked the bumper over and didnt see any missing clips or anything missing at all. He did admit that the bumper was dropped amd he all but came out and said that all the journeys are like it and its a design issue. Until chrysler comes out with a proper fix, he wont do anything because forcing the bumper into a position it wasnt meant to be in could cause it to break over time. Then it would be $$ out of his pocket to fix it.

I didn't press the issue because on mine you really can't notice it unless you go looking for it (as I did). We discussed it and agreed that it would be on file that I came in about the issue and if something happens down the road and the bumper breaks they'll cover it. My main worry was is I cam in 6 months later with a cracked bumper they would just say i backed into something.

Anyway, unless it gets worst I wont be bothering with it.

• 2 weeks later...

So mine was looking like this:

iPhone%252520004.JPG

iPhone%252520005.JPG

I took it back to the dealer and complained twice. On the second go, they pulled the bumper off and checked the clips. They told me they could not get the clips any tighter or install more clips because there's nowhere to mount them, HOWEVER, what the body shop did do was use urethane and basically glue the bumper in place along that top edge. You can't see anything on the exterior, but they told me they used basically the same thing they use to put windshields in place. They said they would be surprised if it moved again.

Mine is holding now - so far so good. I know what you mean zmttoxics. The driver's side isn't 100% perfect, but much better than it was. The body shop told me the problem is that the clips holding it are all the way down below where the curve is, so that top part below the tail light is like a big tongue with no support behind it. It's really just held in there by the resistance of it being tucked under the tail light.

So the washer trick worked for a while, but eventually stopped working. I went to the hardware store today and picked up one of those dual tubes of epoxy and used that... I epoxied it where the clip connects to the bumper, and also on the top as well. Seems to be holding up well so far, and looks perfect so far... Will be interesting to see how it holds up to the weathering...

• 1 month later...