Performance upgrade

Where did this info come from? I'm certainly not saying it wrong. Just curious that's all :D

Terry

On AllPar there is a discussion regarding how the Charger got 305HP and they say it is in the Intake Manifold configeration

Also they say the Journey --as we know it is finished in 2012 and will become a vehicle, maybe the same name, built on the CUSW platform whatever that is

• 2 weeks later...

yes, the charger and journey both "had" the 3.5 engines. the intake manifold on the charger is different, but it will definetely not give +19 hp, the journey is rated at 235 hp and the charger at 250, also the charger is tuned for performance, while the journey not so much so. here is a pic of the intake manifold.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142838

yes, the charger and journey both "had" the 3.5 engines. the intake manifold on the charger is different, but it will definetely not give +19 hp, the journey is rated at 235 hp and the charger at 250, also the charger is tuned for performance, while the journey not so much so. here is a pic of the intake manifold.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142838

The motor you show is not the 2011---a completely different design and HP rating-------

Some AllPar articles:

This one talks about the 2011 Dodge Challenger, and how its 3.6L Pentastar V6 has "13 horsepower increase over other Pentastar engines is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s."

And here is a quote fromanother article about the V6:

"Despite the four variants of the 3.6 already being sold — rear drive (290 hp), AWD (292 hp), FWD (283 hp), and Challenger (305 hp), there are just two head designs, two intake manifolds, and one set of internal components, including cam and pistons, according to an SAE article by Paul Weissler. The Challenger's 13 horsepower increase is due to "a more aggressively designed intake air system" which increased airflow from 214 to 220 g/s."

And the referenced article written by Paul Weissler can be found here.

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So what engine does the AWD have? 3.5L? If so, what's the dif about the engines and what can be swapped. I thinking about the Charger Supercharge kit. LOL

Yeah I see what you mean looking up above. The 2011's have the 3.6L. From everything I have seen for the Journey, there isn't a change in HP with AWD vs Non-AWD even though the article above seems to indicate so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to some recent reading in a Dodge "advertisement", Ralph Giles is quoted as commenting on the lower power ratings on various vehicles with the 3.6 engine. One in particular was the Avenger, reportedly due to "unique restrictions from the front wheel drive". The Caravan and the Journey have the same power ratings as well. The Charger has 292hp and the Challenger is the only Dodge to have 305hp from the Pentastar, in order to compete with the other "Hussle Cars".

One thing i did notice last night is that his is the first vehicle i have seen that really has a true cold air intake... the intake pulls from the hood and grill gap right at the front. interesting... now i wonder if there is any other "restriction" that can be cleaned up, removed or "adjusted" in order to help.

as stated, though.

tuning with a programmer is key with these electronic engines. I'm short the $400 to get one, though... lol

edit: Diablo Sport doesnt have a tuner for the Journey. :(

Edited by b1pig

According to some recent reading in a Dodge "advertisement", Ralph Giles is quoted as commenting on the lower power ratings on various vehicles with the 3.6 engine. One in particular was the Avenger, reportedly due to "unique restrictions from the front wheel drive". The Caravan and the Journey have the same power ratings as well. The Charger has 292hp and the Challenger is the only Dodge to have 305hp from the Pentastar, in order to compete with the other "Hussle Cars".

One thing i did notice last night is that his is the first vehicle i have seen that really has a true cold air intake... the intake pulls from the hood and grill gap right at the front. interesting... now i wonder if there is any other "restriction" that can be cleaned up, removed or "adjusted" in order to help.

as stated, though.

tuning with a programmer is key with these electronic engines. I'm short the $400 to get one, though... lol

edit: Diablo Sport doesnt have a tuner for the Journey. :(

If you look at the intake air track for the 3.6 in the Journey you see where flow can be lost or hindered. True it does take in air over the grill but it takes a drop 90 degrees into the airbox. Then there's a 6" vent house attached inside the airbox. I'm not sure if this is for noise abatement or what. Is this present on all 3.6 Journeys ( Avengers and Caravans possibly same). Then you have all the chambers present for noise abatement along the intake tract. Again you loose some airflow to these. And then there's the "hat" attached to the throttle body. I haven't taken this off yet but what purpose other than for noise suppresion does it serve? To me the passenger (right) side of the engine compartment would have been the more direct path for airflow but that would have put the radiator tank next to the PCM/fuse box. If the windshield washer reservoirI had been mounted elsewhere would have allowed for a more direct inlet. I've only seen the Challenger and Charger 3.6 underhood in photos but the RWD configuration does allow for a more direct path. I looked under the hood of a 3.6 Durango but didn't pay close attention at the time but I think ,being RWD, it was similar. I've read the K&N CAI (P/N 69-2543TTK) for the Avenger 3.5 will work for the 3.6 Journey and I think I'm going to give it a try (they are cheaper on Ebay by almost $100 than Summit ,JEGS,etc..). Has anyone on here given it a try with the Journey (with either the 3.6 or 3.5)? The Avenger 3.5 underhood picture on K&N's site looks close.

It would be nice if Superchips or Diablo would come out with a programmer/tuner for the Journey. As b1pig stated this is the key to gains with the electronic controls these days. On the exhaust side a less restrictive set of mufflers is really all that would be needed.

Edited by coolram62

If you look at the intake air track for the 3.6 in the Journey you see where flow can be lost or hindered. True it does take in air over the grill but it takes a drop 90 degrees into the airbox. Then there's a 6" vent house attached inside the airbox. I'm not sure if this is for noise abatement or what. Is this present on all 3.6 Journeys ( Avengers and Caravans possibly same). Then you have all the chambers present for noise abatement along the intake tract. Again you loose some airflow to these. And then there's the "hat" attached to the throttle body. I haven't taken this off yet but what purpose other than for noise suppresion does it serve? To me the passenger (right) side of the engine compartment would have been the more direct path for airflow but that would have put the radiator tank next to the PCM/fuse box. If the windshield washer reservoirI had been mounted elsewhere would have allowed for a more direct inlet. I've only seen the Challenger and Charger 3.6 underhood in photos but the RWD configuration does allow for a more direct path. I looked under the hood of a 3.6 Durango but didn't pay close attention at the time but I think ,being RWD, it was similar. I've read the K&N CAI (P/N 69-2543TTK) for the Avenger 3.5 will work for the 3.6 Journey and I think I'm going to give it a try (they are cheaper on Ebay by almost $100 than Summit ,JEGS,etc..). Has anyone on here given it a try with the Journey (with either the 3.6 or 3.5)? The Avenger 3.5 underhood picture on K&N's site looks close.

It would be nice if Superchips or Diablo would come out with a programmer/tuner for the Journey. As b1pig stated this is the key to gains with the electronic controls these days. On the exhaust side a less restrictive set of mufflers is really all that would be needed.

I believe that mopar is in the process of introducing a RAM/CAI specifically for the Pentstar 3.6L. I've seen one on eBay in a preproduction auction from a dealer. I was not able to get specific info from that dealer about fitment. Maybe patience will pay off . . . Not sure if it will be designed to fit in the Journey, though.

• 3 months later...

I just installed a GTE Performance Chip in my 2009 SXT. Took me 10 minutes. Cost $69 plus $10 shipping. Got it from http://www.performancechiptuning.com

It will adjust the fuel/air mixture and the timing. So far so good... they say it takes a week or so for the chip to "reprogram" the ECU, but after 2 days I'm already seeing a 1.5mpg increase. We'll see...

• 3 months later...

I just installed a GTE Performance Chip in my 2009 SXT. Took me 10 minutes. Cost $69 plus $10 shipping. Got it from http://www.performancechiptuning.com

It will adjust the fuel/air mixture and the timing. So far so good... they say it takes a week or so for the chip to "reprogram" the ECU, but after 2 days I'm already seeing a 1.5mpg increase. We'll see...

Any updates on the fuel mileaged increase?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey FWD R/T with a K&N Typhoon cold air intake filter kit 69-2543TTK and just added an HyperTech Max Energy Performance Tuner. Together I am getting roughly +19 HP and +26 Torque. It breaks out to +12.31 HP/ +11 Torque from the CAI and +7 HP/ +15 Torque from the HyperTech Tuner. Additionally, the tuner allows you to adjust the rev limiter by +/- 100rpms to a max of +/- 500rpms, change axle ratios and top speed based on tire rating. You can hear and feel the power in these additions. As for gas mileage I average 20.5 mpg with mix city and highway driving (385 miles per fill up) and 23/24mpg with highway driving (420 miles per fill up).

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2012 Journey.  I put a k&n air filter (From O'Reilly auto parts approx price was $50) removed the 6 inch piece of hose. I do notice a slight difference in the higher speeds. A guy i know who does work on other types of cars.  Told me a K&N air filter and open up the exhaust ie. Higher flow...i will notice a difference. I know MSD makes coils for the Journey so i was thinking of investing in that and the chip( maybe)just wanting feedback on that.

• 4 weeks later...