Anyone else have a squeak

2009journey

My two week old R/T has a squeak that seems to be coming from the driver side rear area when I hit certain bumps. (Not all bumps, and not necessarily only the big bumps, just certain bumps!?). If I sit in the third row it seems to come from the drivers rear wheel well. However, it is quite loud in the third row so I am not sure if it is coming from outside or inside. All I know is it is driving me crazy!!! :banghead: I will have the dealer look at it the next time I take it in, I just don't want to take it in for a squeak alone. Anyone one else have this issue? And better yet did you fix it!?

I found the squeak (creak) last night. It has gotten progressively worse, so this made the job of locating much easier.

On the driver's side (and passenger) there is a large bolt and huge washer attaching the frame and the entire suspension, in between is a layer of rubber to isolate the two. Next to the huge washer is a small bolt holding a clip that holds the brake line in place. In my Journey the huge washer and small bolt were rubbing together. As the isolating rubber compressed the washer would contact the bolt and make a loud creaking noise. I removed the brake line clip retaining bolt and I am now squeak free. :happy feet: If I look at the passenger side there is a good 1/2 to one inch gap between the washer and the bolt. I am not sure why on the drivers side the two are so close. In the attached photo I have put a red circle around the washer and the original bolt hole. You can also see my temporary zip-tie solution.

post-52-1211944439_thumb.jpg

Great Job!! The othe night, I heard this a few times, but only on cetain bumps or when turning left while on an incline, putting it in a strain. It is more of a creak than a squeak, so this has to be the same problem. I'm going to check this tonight.

thanks again

Great Job!! The othe night, I heard this a few times, but only on cetain bumps or when turning left while on an incline, putting it in a strain. It is more of a creak than a squeak, so this has to be the same problem. I'm going to check this tonight.

thanks again

I've noticed something similar when making a moderate to hard left turn. It sort of reminded me of a cavitation sound in the power steering. Not certain as to where it's coming from. It could also be a problem in the CV joint. I only experience it in left turns though.

UPDATE:

I checked the area that yours was coming from, 2009. That's not it. My squeak (very subtle) is definitely coming from the driver's side front, and only when making a hard left turn.

Radon, you seem to be more informed than me, as I don't even know what a cavitation is. If you solve the riddle, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Journey has the same issue, as does a friend's. He is a parts guy for a Dodge dealership and he told me that there were similar complaints over the last few years with the Chrysler and Dodge minivans. He said the power steering hose would get in a bind and cut fluid to the pump. I have noticed, and will have checked, a pulsation through the steering wheel when turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, particularly on a loose surface like gravel or soil. Makes me wonder if they are related.

Here's the crazy thing...it doesn't do it with the A/C off. I read this on another forum, so I tried it. A/C on, it squeaks; A/C off, no squeak. WEIRD??

Well, what I'm experiencing isn't really a squeak per se, but a cavitation, almost a grinding-like sound. I've felt and heard similar vibrations when operating hydraulic equipment that was low on hydraulic oil, that's why my initial suspicion what the power steering.

But, given what you describe, it would point to the tension on the serpentine belt as a possible cause. Both the power steering pump and the A/C compressor are powered from the belt. The power steering pump develops more resistance at its pulley when turning, and the A/C compressor obviously has more resistance when it is engaged. The combination of the two could possibly lead to the serpentine belt to slip if it were under-tensioned or inadequately sized for the power transfer needed for the accessories it runs.

I'm curious about the power steering lines kinking. I didn't think that these really moved at all while turning, nor found themselves in the way of moving suspension parts, but if they did, it would certainly correlate well with the noise I'm experiencing.

One other experiment that I thought of on my way to work this morning was seeing if the noise was present with the ESP turned off. The idea being that perhaps the noise might be the ESP prematurely starting some braking on the left front wheel (the wheel on the inside of the turn, when turning left). I'll report my findings on that experiment, though I'd encourage others experiencing this noise to give it a shot as well and see if it remedies the problem.

UPDATE:

I checked the area that yours was coming from, 2009. That's not it. My squeak (very subtle) is definitely coming from the driver's side front, and only when making a hard left turn.

Radon, you seem to be more informed than me, as I don't even know what a cavitation is. If you solve the riddle, let me know.

Describes my condition nearly exactly as to when it occurs.

Talked with the dealer about it today. He mentioned that there is a TSB out that addresses a "whine" between 1800-2400 RPM, most noticeable when starting out from a stop. The two possible remedies are reprogramming the PCM or replacing the power steering pump. However, the service advisor and I both came to the conclusion that this was not the condition that I'm experiencing. He said that it may take several months before a TSB is published about a common problem if it doesn't involve safety.

I guess, keep your fingers crossed that Chrysler takes notice of this and hunts down the problem.

Mine is going in for a look on Monday, but I suspect that the dealer garage will be unable to come up with anything definitive as to what is the cause.

The "grind" happened again over the weekend when making a sharp left turn. This time I felt it through the steering column. I'm still not going to take it back. More than likely, the dealership will have no clue and just keep mine for a week or so w/out fixing. I'll just wait a while to see if Chysler addresses the problem, or somebody on the forum figures it out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, the dealership service did hear the noise and made note of it. They mentioned that they took out a new Journey with 5 miles on it and experienced the same problem. They are claiming at this point that it's normal.

I guess cross your fingers that Chrysler comes up with a fix at some point and puts out a TSB for it.

Quote: from Radon360

I've noticed something similar when making a moderate to hard left turn. It sort of reminded me of a cavitation sound in the power steering. Not certain as to where it's coming from. It could also be a problem in the CV joint. I only experience it in left turns though.

I just picked mine up from the service department for the third time. First time; replaced power Steering Pump. Nope. Second time; separated AC lines. Nope. Now I call Chrysler and start a case file on the car. Third time; dealer replaced entire exhaust system. No more noise ('cavitation sound') when turning left.

There seems to be a cerain amount of whine that is just associated with the drivetrain. Turn up Sirius channel 62 and it seems to go away!

I hope this will help someone else experiencing the same problem.

Interesting about the noise. We had nothing at all until recently. My wife said there was a noise on a hard left turn. Today when driving it indeed made a fairly loud squeal/grind noise and you felt it right up through the steering wheel.

Reminds me of the noise and vibration i feel from hvac equipment that have bearing issues but it could be anything.

The ac was off.

Let you know what we find and I'll print out the comments about the exhaust system.

The Stewie.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Journey for just about 3 weeks now and have had it back the dealer 3 times for the same thing. About 4 days after purchasing the vehicle I started to experience a "metal against metal" sound upon acceleration. It would only do it for the first 4-5 minutes that the car was running and then it would stop. I brought the car back to the dealership and of course the car wouldn't make the noise when they drove it. It progressivly got louder prompting my second call to the dealer. I was told that a bulletin had been issued regarding the power stearing pump and that what I was describing met the criteria. They replaced the pump. That night the noise started again. Called the dealer 1st thing in the morning made another appointment to bring it in. This time they were able to hear the noise loud and clear! Turns out the heat shield that covers the exhaust system was loose, therefore vibrating against the exhaust. (Thus causing the metal on metal sound I was hearing) They tightened the shield and so far so good... No more noise. Not sure if this will help anyone else, but it's worth a shot!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had dealer look at my journey today when i got the 1st service done. Ended up being a relative of mine doing the work so i told him about the squeak in the back and the noise in the front left wheel also. He sprayed some sort of lube on the components in and around there and the noises are gone?

i barely heard the front wheel once so far but the squeak in the back suspension hasnt been back yet. I will keep you posted, could be a simple fix

My two week old R/T has a squeak that seems to be coming from the driver side rear area when I hit certain bumps. (Not all bumps, and not necessarily only the big bumps, just certain bumps!?). If I sit in the third row it seems to come from the drivers rear wheel well. However, it is quite loud in the third row so I am not sure if it is coming from outside or inside. All I know is it is driving me crazy!!! :banghead: I will have the dealer look at it the next time I take it in, I just don't want to take it in for a squeak alone. Anyone one else have this issue? And better yet did you fix it!?

yes we have an sxt with the same noise and had it to the dealer for a fix but they have yet not found the problem it is very annoying and dissapointing because other than the noise its a great automobile

we need a fix asap pronto.... :angry:

yes we have an sxt with the same noise and had it to the dealer for a fix but they have yet not found the problem it is very annoying and dissapointing because other than the noise its a great automobile

we need a fix asap pronto.... :angry:

Just an update, its been since monday now. Squeak in rear suspension has not returned nor has the rubbing noise in front driverside wheel. All the tech did was apply some sort of lube and its good... ive put 200 miles on since then so its well driven...

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I had the annoying squeak/creak from rear left side suspension. only occationally at first, but got progressively worse.

I have the SXT with 19" rims and performance suspension.

Took it in to dealer who performed TSB 13300190 Re torque rear cross member.

Squeak/creak gone!

Hope This Helps.

• 1 month later...

No "sqeak" but whistle sound from the front wheels. However, I have learned the hard way.......take it in as soon as you have a problem - never know what bigger problem it might be. My steering wheel started shaking a bit and I kept putting it of thinking it was just the roads, but it got worse and so finally I took it in. It was about 2 months before the warranty was up and it turned out to be warped rotars and I have had it in there 2 more times since then for the same problem.

Apache

• 1 month later...