aleonline Posted August 4 Report Share Posted August 4 Hi everyone, the tire pressure light on my 2013 Dodge keeps coming on, and the strange thing is that the display keeps changing. For instance, at one point it shows the pressure for the front tires but dashes for the rear ones; then it shows the pressure for the right-side tires but dashes for the left-side ones, and so on. Every now and then, the ABS, brake, and stability control lights also come on. I’m going to check the ABS connector for signs of moisture, as I know this is a chronic issue; I’ve already had the recall work done, but it seems the problem has returned. I’ve also seen reports suggesting it could be the wiring harness coming from the trunk lid, which carries signals for a number of sensors. Has anyone else experienced this? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
5rebel9 Posted August 4 Report Share Posted August 4 Your BEST way to find the cause is to have a full system scan done(one that can read more than just basic OBDll engine codes). Good scanners can pull "history" codes even if the current warning lights are NOT displayed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aleonline Posted August 4 Author Report Share Posted August 4 I took the car to a specialized shop, and when they ran the scanner, no errors showed up. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
2late4u Posted August 4 Report Share Posted August 4 (edited) Autel amazon has them I believe that is the brand my tire shop used, not sure if they are plug and play or if you need to program them Just replace all 4 TPMS as mine 2014 did the same thing with the batteries were going wrong,,,the other 3 lights I had as a c2200 code which is an internal failure of the ABS unit which was on backorder when mine went bad a couple of yrs ago,I waited since it was covered under my lifetime warranty I had, all you lose is the cruise control and the anti brake skid system on the brakes... if your shop isn't seeing any codes with those lights are on find a different shop Edited August 4 by 2late4u John/Horace 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
John/Horace Posted August 5 Report Share Posted August 5 Most of the new tpms sensors say preprogrammed. But it doesn't always seem to work, which happened on a Ford I had. Schrader makes a lot of the mopar factory sensors, I have read. I have used that brand which are slightly more expensive than others, rockauto had them. Were plug and play; came right up on cluster without any programming. Free advice worth everything you pay for it. 2late4u and larryl 2 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aleonline Posted August 10 Author Report Share Posted August 10 I managed to resolve the ABS issue. I discovered a chronic problem with the ABS module connector, which is prone to moisture buildup. I cleaned it with contact cleaner, and the problem was solved. As for the tires, I’m going to replace the sensors and see if that fixes the issue. 2late4u 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
John/Horace Posted August 14 Report Share Posted August 14 (edited) Here is a pic of a Schrader tpms I put in yesterday. Factory unit shows same name in tiny print. Came up working in 10-15 miles. Im hoping they have better battery life than cheap knock offs. Will see. Yeah im that cheap, self install them. Number 26 is the year on new one. No balancing if you mark the weights and don't shift tire. Bead sealer just because I have some. Old sensor to environmental recycle place (no direct charge), they are lithium battery. Nasty stuff. Edited August 14 by John/Horace larryl 1 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
aleonline Posted August 15 Author Report Share Posted August 15 Very good, thanks for the tip... I'm a cheapskate too, so I'm going to switch, haha. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
John/Horace Posted August 15 Report Share Posted August 15 (edited) Autel sensors have to be programmed with their hand held unit. A lot of people use them, they are popular. If you know someone who has programmer (lots of tire shops use them), a set of 4 is probably a lot cheaper. Schrader on our 2012 & 2014 have been plug and play, I had a Dorman made tpms that also worked like that. You need a 433 mhz frequency sensor for this vehicle. The fact that the original factory Schrader ones are only now failing after 14 years and 200k kms makes me want to buy them again. The batteries seem good, even with cdn extreme temperatures of -20C to 35C. Some people automatically swap tpms during new tire install, swapping one at a time later with balance $ etc adds up. A bad wheel bearing will cause traction control and abs light to come on, or bad abs sensor. A bad tpms sensor will not, it has its own separate light. A good bi directional scan tool, like Autel or Top Don or Xtool will show stored codes. Look for abs codes. Edited August 15 by John/Horace Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.