How to Turn off Daytime Running Lights

Hi.

I'm from Canada and I want to install HIDs on my high beams.

I was wondering if there was any way for me to disable my DRLs.

thanks!

Aren't DRL's a required item in Canada? It's not here in the States, but I thought they were mandatory up North, but I could be wrong. If they are required, no dealer will disconnect them. You might be out of luck.

I haven't checked on the Journey, but on other cars I've had the DRL would go off when the parking brake is applied. If its the same on the Journey, then there's probably some wires on a switch at the parking brake pedal that you could connect to shut the lights off. However, I think the previous poster is correct, DRL's are required in Canada.

thanks for all the replies.

I know that they are required in Canada. I'm planning on putting the DRLs on the fog lights. I don't like them on the high beams due to not being able to put HIDs on the highs because I would blind everyone on the road during the day. But I'd like the brightness of the high beam HID at night on the highway since I drive a lot at night.

That brake thing might be worth looking into, thanks :)

thanks for all the replies.

I know that they are required in Canada. I'm planning on putting the DRLs on the fog lights. I don't like them on the high beams due to not being able to put HIDs on the highs because I would blind everyone on the road during the day. But I'd like the brightness of the high beam HID at night on the highway since I drive a lot at night.

That brake thing might be worth looking into, thanks :)

AHHHH, thats another story! I had a Chevy with DRL's and yes, if you pushed the parking brake on, then took it off AFTER the engine had started the drl's would stay off till the next restart. Maybe you could wire in a momentary contact switch in the parking brake switch wiring. At least then all you would have to do is flip the switch. I have seen discussions on this site about HID lighting and turning fogs into DRL's in the past. I can't recall in what section though. Anybody remember??? Good luck!

AHHHH, thats another story! I had a Chevy with DRL's and yes, if you pushed the parking brake on, then took it off AFTER the engine had started the drl's would stay off till the next restart. Maybe you could wire in a momentary contact switch in the parking brake switch wiring. At least then all you would have to do is flip the switch. I have seen discussions on this site about HID lighting and turning fogs into DRL's in the past. I can't recall in what section though. Anybody remember??? Good luck!

Well I always use my parking brake so I always have the parking brake applied when the car is off and when the car turns on the DRLs come on anyways :s

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure the dealership can turn them off. They'll most likely charge you an hour's worth of labour though.

I personnaly don't think your HID bulbs would blind any oncoming traffic as it would be daytime, and you can always turn your low-beams on if you think the HIDs are anoying anyone.

the DRL use much less power than you normal low-beams so HID used as your DRL should still be less powerful than your standard low-beams.

hope this helps,

keep us in the loop

I'm sure the dealership can turn them off. They'll most likely charge you an hour's worth of labour though.

I personnaly don't think your HID bulbs would blind any oncoming traffic as it would be daytime, and you can always turn your low-beams on if you think the HIDs are anoying anyone.

the DRL use much less power than you normal low-beams so HID used as your DRL should still be less powerful than your standard low-beams.

hope this helps,

keep us in the loop

HID's do not work on DRLs because of the lower power as HIDs require a constant 12v. Which requires me to get a relay harness to take power directly from the battery resulting in blinding high beams during the day ;)

• 3 weeks later...