2011 Dodge Journey Alternator fail

Is that 152K miles or Km, I read someone else's alternator went out at 60,000. miles as well. The bearings on my alternator were making noises and I could smell electronics burning from it, the voltage would fluctuate between 8 and 14 volts and my battery was almost dead so I replaced it, all is good again.  It's good to hear your alternator has lasted this long.

Lots of power options on newer cars now. Alt work harder imo. Mine went at 90k miles or 145k kilometres with the burning electrical smell and voltage fluctuations. Low battery warning on cluster came on, ecm disabled radio and various other accessories so electric cooling fan would be the last thing to lose power. 

Drive pulley torque decoupler has bearings inside; can be cause of some early failures. Fuel economy feature I believe. 

After 2015 ish there was a plastic top guard that mounted on top of alternator. Even oem remanufactured unit from dealer ( with a two year warranty) comes with the plastic guard  and hardware. It prevents oil from dripping on hot alt and causing a fire hazard.  Valve cover could easily leak in this manner.  I was happy to get this upgrade item with the dealer reman unit; at a lower price than other aftermarket reman units. In stock with a refundable core charge.

A few alt failures but almost no starter motors documented  on this site. Starter looks like a bear to get at, so be happy it was alt.

New trumps reman always; but price difference can be huge. 

152 miles as I live in the U.S.   haven't really read on here about that many alternates going bad on our journeys.. I do live in the southern part of the U.S. so we don't see much snow mostly ice which we just got some Monday nite it LOL as shut everything down Monday nite and Tues,and probably Thurs and Fri as most of the locals go crazy when it rains real hard...but my journey doesn't see brutally cold and salt,you could eat your lunch off my engine as well. good luck and stay safe this winter up there