Front driver side hub nut loosening direction

I'm replacing my front hub and bearings on my 2009 Dodge journey and am wondering if the driver side is loosened going the opposite direction? Have broken 5 breaker bars and need to know if Have Been just tightening it this whole time. Has anyone else had to do this recently that can help me figure this out please and thank you 

Yeah the rotor was covered in rust dust when I took the tire off im sure it's never been changed. I love by lefty loosy right tightly, but everyone keeps telling me I'm going the wrong way so before I try again I wanted to be sure. Also I have been spraying penetration oil on it almost every day for a week. Got me a 3/4 in drive breaker bar and an actual hub nut socket 32mm and that puppy ain't breaking for nothing ? thanks for your advice 

13 hours ago, Mando Mayer said:

Yeah the rotor was covered in rust dust when I took the tire off im sure it's never been changed. I love by lefty loosy right tightly, but everyone keeps telling me I'm going the wrong way so before I try again I wanted to be sure. Also I have been spraying penetration oil on it almost every day for a week. Got me a 3/4 in drive breaker bar and an actual hub nut socket 32mm and that puppy ain't breaking for nothing ? thanks for your advice 

geta 5 ft iron pipe for some  additional leverage and or just snap off the lug whichever happens first,,, By the way :welcome:welcome to the group  just remember I believe your engine has the timing belt that needs to be changed

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

geta 5 ft iron pipe for some  additional leverage and or just snap off the lug whichever happens first,,, By the way :welcome:welcome to the group  just remember I believe your engine has the timing belt that needs to be changed

The OP is talking about the big nut for the CV joint, I doubt it would snap the "lug". BUT you are very correct about a good long helper pipe, I've done that many a time to compensate for my bad back and crusty CV joint nuts, even when using a 2.5' 3/4 "drive breaker bar!

To Mando Mayer......

If as bad as you say, you may think about getting a new nut and use a  hammer & chisel to split the nut that's so stuck. Only need to do this on one flat midway of it's length. This would loosen things up nicely for removal, but you WILL NEED A NEW axle nut on reassembly.

LOL ya I was thinking lug nuts as i was just helping someone that had a lug nut that wouldn't budge. but it did meet its match,,, the cv axle nut is what he is talking about, and yes he could slit the nut and he might have to use a torch for some heat as well ,but then you run the risk of damaging the axle,,,,,,, its always a great idea to replace that nut after removing it even if it still looks good, he needs to find out the correct torque setting for it as well so he doesn't ruin  the new bearing by over torquing it

With 3/4” drive you can get a a few foot long pipe and add it to the breaker bar. Remove nut with hub cap off and wheel on the ground if possible. Safer and weight of car helps. Counter clock wise to loosen.

Even heat from a torch helps with seized threads.  Impact gun which vibrate when used is always best, but not essential.

Its only torqued at 100 ft pounds;  removing rust on exposed threads with wire brush will prevent damage on nut threads. People resuse the old nuts but technically they are suppose to be replaced on most vehicles after removal. Dealers do.

Edited by John/Horace

• 3 weeks later...

When replacing the front hub and bearings on a 2009 Dodge Journey, remember that the lug nuts and hub assembly bolts typically follow standard righty-tighty, lefty-loosey direction. You should turn counterclockwise to loosen. If you've broken multiple breaker bars, consider using a penetrating oil to loosen any corrosion. Applying heat with a torch may also help. If the struggle continues, consult a professional mechanic for assistance. Ensure safety measures are in place, such as using proper tools and supporting the vehicle securely. Good luck with your repair, and may it be smooth sailing from here on!