Updating and upgrading air suspension

Locosiete

So anyone who remembers me recalls I put air ride on my Journey a couple years ago. It was a simple front and back setup with 1/4 lines. Well fast forward a couple years and I have decided to update it to individual corners running 3/8 lines. So it will move a bit faster and give me more control due to weight displacement being able to adjust each corner independently. This weekend plan on running the lines and replacing the fittings. From there need to start planning where to place tank and compressor. Think this time i will hide it under a raised floor. So... here I go. I will post as I go.

28 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

This is TOO COOL! You have done amazing things already with your ride, looking forward to how this next "upgrade" goes!

Me, well I am stuck just maintaining and keeping them running correctly.

Rather own a good running car then a pretty brick lol

But in all honesty I've never been the type to want the best just different then others is all. Plus if I can do the work myself I would rather be proud of something I made with my own hands vs something I bought already done. That all said the Journey gets no love from people when I pull up until I either raise or lower it or crank up the stereo. Gone to more then 1 car show and they tried turning me away saying sorry spectators park over there. 

Edited by Locosiete
add info

Well got started this weekend and didn't get as much as I wanted accomplished. Found rear passenger had been rubbing and rather then putting it back on and replaced it in the near future just ordered a replacement one. So needless to say that puts a slight delay in plan. 

20231112_185440.thumb.jpg.584f49774eb902ed687034a24ca40b7a.jpg

The other delay is waiting on my Cadillac to finish getting the seats redone. Which is a good since this leave me extra room in garage while it being done but bad cause I am using the air manifold from that car to put in my dodge so i can then upgrade the Cadillac. I'm upgrading my Cadillac to 1/2" lines since the 3/8" setup works but not as quickly as I want, Cadillac is not a skinny girl ? ? ? ? 

Side note if anyone needs to replace front struts I found a bungee cord works perfect to hold brake assembly in place. I'm sure others know this but thought I'd share while I was at it. The jack is just there to keep it from sagging too much. Car is currently on 4 jackstands.

20231111_145821.thumb.jpg.d94c4386666aa19377fd077ee1cda3a6.jpg

Other hiccup was I need to either trim the spring perch in rear or add a spacer. Rather the possibly ruining the rear struts went with a 1/2" spacer. So it won't sit as low now by 1/2" but I don't think it will be too noticeable when it's parked and layer down. Without the spacer the fittings would hit the perch and break from the weight. 

Man that took way too long to make by hand using a pipe cutter. One of those times I wish I has a bandsaw! 

20231113_002535.thumb.jpg.f0f6c5b9c82c1886b326f5f7ba8bbfa1.jpg

And those rear bags have lasted how long? You have done something that FEW have done with a Journey, and I know there is not much room to visually see for clearances of the rear strut perches. You did very well on the initial air system install! Now it's time to "fine tune" fitment to take care of the slight rubbing and make your planned  "upgrades" you posted of.

Don't get discouraged and keep on going. Looking forward to more updates!

Got 3 years out of them so I guess I can't complain too much. I'm just curious if they were rubbing before I installed the adjustable rear arm or after once the alignment was redone and camber was adjusted. Or it always has rubbed. 

May need to use a "finesse" hammer and "massage" it lol. I'm just not to confident the metal is thick enough to take a whack that will move it or just end up with a hole that need to be repaired. 

Also thought maybe I can apply a greese of some sort but would need to find something that won't ruin the rubber. Hmmm...

Edited by Locosiete
add info

1 hour ago, Locosiete said:

Got 3 years out of them so I guess I can't complain too much. I'm just curious if they were rubbing before I installed the adjustable rear arm or after once the alignment was redone and camber was adjusted. Or it always has rubbed. 

May need to use a "finesse" hammer and "massage" it lol. I'm just not to confident the metal is thick enough to take a whack that will move it or just end up with a hole that need to be repaired. 

Also thought maybe I can apply a greese of some sort but would need to find something that won't ruin the rubber. Hmmm...

WOW !  3 years? Normal struts and shocks don't last much longer on any vehicles up my way. And yours is just a minor rub problem that WHO CAN KNOW from under WHAT conditions they rub. Raising/lowering and driving/cornering all come into play on when they might have been rubbing.

One thing I'm finding out with all 3 of mine is that all 3 camber/toe and control arm bushings are definite wear/weak links in maintaining "tight"suspension geometry to keep all "lined up". 

From watching shows of doing car mods with "bagging" a suspension, it is very important for a very liberal clearance room all the way around, and usually VERY HARD to determine when inflated and weight put to the car on the ground.

As I said before, you have done some pretty special upgrading to do this and 3 years use is a nice return. NOW a bit more "engineering" and make the system last longer.

It will take some trial and error but that is something I knew would happen since I don't know anyone else that has done a journey i can learn from that that alreadyhad to deal with this. I know they are out there but I don't know them lol.

Replacement bag should arrive Friday and then back at it ? ? ? 

Well got a little further. Ran air lines for front through the openings of the side skirt and used the grommet in front of the rear axle for the front bags. And used the grommet that is behind the rear axle for rear bag.

20231119_234458.thumb.jpg.93fea8bd9b4d206187b45cfee728b6cd.jpg

Then mocked up the frame and used some cardboard to make a stencil for a new rear floor board. The upholstery should arrive tomorrow so during the week hope to have board cut and wrapped. 

20231119_144500.thumb.jpg.26e48a03b206c8418603c4e64ec13720.jpg

New tank should also arrive tomorrow so can then moc that up so once the cadillac gets home so i can pull the manifold, slap it in the Dodge and then move onto the cadillac. Guy doing the upholstery was hit by a semi and so he is running behind. But again that helps me leaving me room in the garage. 

The Caddy is my other toy. I took this picture a couple months ago when I picked it up from paint. 

20231006_094136.thumb.jpg.a73f68e09952afb5b28ea386b9bf402c.jpg

Edited by Locosiete
typo

Got the tank mounted, think I may add a spacer so can mount fittings in rear of tank to give it a cleaner look. But slowly but surely it's coming together. 

Trying to hide the small dumb things under the floor like the relay and remote drain. Floor will be removable so it will be something that can be serviced and also access to spare. Just can't bring myself to delete the spare since i know if I do the first time I go more then 30 minutes away from home i will get a flat.

Plan on mounting the air manifold above tank and maybe get fancy and do some aluminum tubing. Hmmm... decisions decisions 

20231120_222217.thumb.jpg.90a7bec41efbe4b60c216ea7df8908d8.jpg

3 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

ALMOST ?

I'd say that you are progressing fantastically {wow big word} !

I'll show my age and liken you to a Dick Van Dyke movie character from the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang of inventor Potts , who put that remarkable vehicle together!

Thank you for the kind words. it's probably been 30+ years since I have seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I use to sing a modified version in my youth. Chitty Chitty car car Chitty Chitty car car I hate you. That car was a pile of crap lol 

But so far I am figuring it out as I go. Trying to decide how to cover the sides that will still allow the floor to be removable in case I need to lower the spare and access to rear struts in case I need to replace them down the road. Leaning towards just wrapping sides with a black upholstery to hide the sound deadening and wires or rear hvac. Hmmm.... well I'll burn that bridge later

4 hours ago, Locosiete said:

Thank you for the kind words. it's probably been 30+ years since I have seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I use to sing a modified version in my youth. Chitty Chitty car car Chitty Chitty car car I hate you. That car was a pile of crap lol 

To clarify I was referring to the car I owned at the time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well since I am stuck in a holding pattern for now figured i would work on another project, since I don't really use the pocket below the display figured I could put the air gauge there and a voltage meter. So fiberglassing it. Here is the progress on that

20231213_211346.thumb.jpg.f35cc279e05949dea6a5602e737a2e6d.jpg20231213_211926.thumb.jpg.dbfcc65ad8a51dfea04746be773def0b.jpg

10 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

A 4.3" bezel? Without looking up your media pic's you are still using factory screen?

Our '11 and '14 have the 4.3 screens and find the cubby hole underneath rather unnecessary, nice idea of your further updating!

Ya never bothered to upgrade since i have aftermarket stereo. Don't know there would be much benefit if I did upgrade the screen. 

2 minutes ago, John/Horace said:

Cool work going on. Glass matt  on the air tank is a nice touch. I still think a ludicrously loud air horn is needed to match the sound system. Not many people have the compressed air to run one properly  Might score some points at a competition.  Cheers.

?