Dodge Journey shakes and stalls in reverse or drive

I have a 2015 Dodge Journey that just today started all this. It idles completely fine no issues at all until you put it in drive or reverse then there is a metallic clunking noise repeatedly and the whole motor shakes and in drive the car usually stalls. I have no idea what could cause this. I crawled under it tonight and it looks like the cv axle intermediate shaft bearing is shot but would that cause the car to shudder and shake and then die in gear? Any help would be much appreciated as I need this car to get to work.

On 7/30/2023 at 2:16 PM, John/Horace said:

Always start with scanning for codes. Even if check engine light is not on. Which engine, milage ?
Bad shaft would clunk but still likely allow car to move.  Transmission related item most likely.

Just checked it today after replacing the intermediate shaft and its still acting up. Its got no codes on it at all anywhere in the system and its a 2..4 vvt engine with 133,xxx on it. Now it only acts up at idle in gear. If its in park or neutral no shaking or clunking but in reverse or drive at 0 mph it'll shake and clunk and sputter and die. As soon as you start moving it goes away no rattling no clunking no stalling nothing just drove it 12 miles no issues other than stop lights.

A 2.4 with 133,000 miles? What engine tune up maint has been done {plugs are needed about every 40k miles}? Every taken the transmission oil pan down and drained the fluid AND replaced the trans oil filter?

Take a good look in the owners manual about recommended service intervals. You will also find a LOT of good service advice here on the forum.