Chirping noise from top passenger side of engine

WREED6223

I've had this intermittent chirping noise for several months. No TSB's on the noise. Been to 2 dealership and still no fix. The first dealer, Johnson Brothers, thought it was the belt idler pulley , then the belt tensioner and finally the alternator. Noise still there with all the new parts. I like parts changers as it keep everything looking new under the hood.

Moved on to the Transitowne dealership and they had 3 tries at the noise and still no fix. The last time they just parked the car, went out and started it several times without driving it. Zero miles on it when I picked it up. They couldn't duplicate the noise. The next day the noise was back. Called and talked to the same service writer with no results so I told him "Nice knowing you"

One more dealer to try in the area. Then if it's not fixed, I'll just drive it till the noise is so load a monkey could find it. Sound pissed, you bet. So if anyone has this type of noise, I'd appreciated your input. Even better if you have a fix for it.

Wild Bill

• 2 weeks later...

well perhaps it's coming from the AC compressor assembly (bad AC clutch) does the noise is coming from the top or bottom of the engine compartment ?

It's not the A/C as i have it turned off. The noise appears to come from the top of the engine, left side, looking at it from the front. It's a intermittent noise that may last several minutes and it is gone again.

• 2 months later...

It's not the A/C as i have it turned off. The noise appears to come from the top of the engine, left side, looking at it from the front. It's a intermittent noise that may last several minutes and it is gone again.

Do you have an update on this?

I have the same issues and noone can seem to fix it.

Hello,

They sound comes from the top left somewhere next to the engine? I get somethign similiar and it is only when the vehicule idles at a traffic light or in park. But when I accelerate you here a the sound go to a high pitch then disappear. I got all the service managers to hear and the shop foreman, but whern it came to work on the vehicule it just could not be duplicated. It is very frustrating let me know what the other dealer says. I plan to take it to another dealer as well and see how they deal with it.

Even the lube bay guys here it and everytime I come in for an oil change they ask me how the "lemon" is doing. I just can sit there and smile. I only have 25,000 km on the journey.

I've had this intermittent chirping noise for several months. No TSB's on the noise. Been to 2 dealership and still no fix. The first dealer, Johnson Brothers, thought it was the belt idler pulley , then the belt tensioner and finally the alternator. Noise still there with all the new parts. I like parts changers as it keep everything looking new under the hood.

Moved on to the Transitowne dealership and they had 3 tries at the noise and still no fix. The last time they just parked the car, went out and started it several times without driving it. Zero miles on it when I picked it up. They couldn't duplicate the noise. The next day the noise was back. Called and talked to the same service writer with no results so I told him "Nice knowing you"

One more dealer to try in the area. Then if it's not fixed, I'll just drive it till the noise is so load a monkey could find it. Sound pissed, you bet. So if anyone has this type of noise, I'd appreciated your input. Even better if you have a fix for it.

Wild Bill

Ya sounds like it could be a belt. Was it a little chilly when you were starting it? If you have a can of silicone lube spray, carry it in the Journey. When you start hearing the noise pop the hood and give it a squirt on your belts with engine running to see if that helps.

• 4 months later...

Someone said they changed the water pump and the noise disappeared. May be covered under the power train warranty. Turning it in first of July, hopefully before it takes a crap..

I have this chirping noise now on my 2009 Journey. I just replaced the belt because it was squeaking every once in a while. It didn't fix my issue. I also have a ticking noise coming from the engine. Replaced power steering pump at 15k miles. Front brakes at 22k miles. Radio replaced. Just had the tcase replaced at 45k miles since it was leaking and had a burning smell. I still have a burning smell now! I also have a grumble sound at low speeds. My wheel shakes when i brake (replaced pads and rotors with ceramic at 38k miles - have 45k mile now). Still have the issue. Also felt like I had a bad tire. Been complaining to dealer for over a year and they did nothing to fix it. Just got new tires last week (not from dealer). Factory 19in are not in stock so I had to get larger tires than the factory ones. I am at my whits end with this car and don't know what to do! Warranty is up and now it's practically falling apart! Dealer couldn't find half the issues I complained about when it was under warranty! Are you guys having any of these same issues?

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get this fixed? I also have a 2009 and I only get the noise when the a/c is on and or I back up slowly while turning the wheel to its max. service manager said it was a bad belt but the tech inspected it and found nothing wrong. Belt tension-er, power steering pump and reservoir already changed.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like most complaints about the Journey involve work needing to be done and the dealer not being able to find the problem. Although I understand and agree with going to the dealer for warranty work, when its clearly something beyond the knowledge of a dealer tech, why not take it to a good independent mechanic? I'm not saying dealer techs aren't good, but I find independents tend to be more creative when trying to find/fix problems.

took mine to a non dodge mechanic and they noticed the belt was slipping over the power steering pump pulley when applying a load to the engine. cleaned the pulley and replaced the belt with a new one and all is back to normal

took mine to a non dodge mechanic and they noticed the belt was slipping over the power steering pump pulley when applying a load to the engine. cleaned the pulley and replaced the belt with a new one and all is back to normal

Good to hear