catalytic converter

I have a 2014 dodge journey 3.6l SXT AWD showing code P0420. I swapped both upstream and down stream with Bosch O2 sensors and it spit out more codes. Thanks to the forum, I found out that the NTK O2 sensors were best so I swapped the Bosch ones out and replaced with the NTK's. It went back to the P0420 code. I finally took it to a mechanic shop and they told me that I need a new catalytic converter. I was given two estimates, one for a genuine Mopar cat and one for an aftermarket. I saw online that Dorman makes one for $350 and the dealer wants $1,800 for a genuine Mopar cat. My question is: if I install the Dorman aftermarket will it continue to set off the P0420 code or do I need to buy the Genuine Mopar cat? I live in Virginia so there are no emissions. Anyone have any suggestions? 

22 hours ago, Jmoreyra said:

I have a 2014 dodge journey 3.6l SXT AWD showing code P0420. I swapped both upstream and down stream with Bosch O2 sensors and it spit out more codes. Thanks to the forum, I found out that the NTK O2 sensors were best so I swapped the Bosch ones out and replaced with the NTK's. It went back to the P0420 code. I finally took it to a mechanic shop and they told me that I need a new catalytic converter. I was given two estimates, one for a genuine Mopar cat and one for an aftermarket. I saw online that Dorman makes one for $350 and the dealer wants $1,800 for a genuine Mopar cat. My question is: if I install the Dorman aftermarket will it continue to set off the P0420 code or do I need to buy the Genuine Mopar cat? I live in Virginia so there are no emissions. Anyone have any suggestions? 

I've used aftermarket cats on other cars in the past and it always took care of my P0420 and the cars passed my state emissions too.  In my experience, the aftermarket cats do not last as long as factory, so you might expect to change it out every few years.

Cats rarely seem to fail on their own.  They are usually killed by some other engine problem, like a misfire, or too much fuel in the mix.  I would make sure that you address any underlying issues that might lead to cat failure before replacing yours.

Thanks for that information. My mechanic said that since it's the bank 1 cat by the firewall, he said that this cat goes bad because it overheats. I don't know if he was right or if he was blowing hot air.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering how you get the bank 1 catalytic converter for a 2014 dodge journey 2014 SXR with the 3.6L vortex engine with the AWD. I managed to remove the bank one catalytic converter but I couldn't seem to remove it from the top or the bottom. The "Y" connection and the right tire drive shaft kept getting in the way. I was looking for step by step instructions/videos online.

On 5/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, Jmoreyra said:

My moms 2017 SXT 3.6 just started showing this code maybe a week ago. This came shortly after a cylinder 4 misfire fuel injector code which was causing the car to shake and have bad fuel economy. Not sure what’s the culprit considering the fact that I bought fuel injectors and mysteriously the issue solved itself?? P0420 still occurs though, intermittently as well. Kinda feel like it’s a domino effect happening 

Catalyst efficiency code po420 ,  down stream O2 sensor triggers this when it’s not happy.

Upstream O2 adjusts fuel trim and is more important since it affects fuel economy.

How many miles on the spark plugs.? Bad coil can also cause misfire code. Injectors rarely fail. 
Even bad gas can cause cylinder misfire. I always start with a tank of super gas.