Broken Tailgate Window

DodgeaWrench

Not a good day.  I was scraping the snow off the DJ early this morning when I noticed the rear glass was shattered.       :swear:      Best guess is a stone or piece of ice flung from the snow plows out last night cleaning up after the storm.  It was odd that most of the glass from the hole was outside the car and almost no broken glass inside.

I've watch a few videos on glass replacement, and the worst part seems to be the removal of all the old seal/sealer.  Anyone replaced theirs?  Or should I just pay the $400 and have it done at a local glass shop and be done with it.

IMG_2019.JPG

Sorry for your misfortune! Don't you have glass coverage on your insurance? I'd let the "pro's" replace it, then if any troubles later it is on their "dime". YES odd the way that it blew out, but curved glass and part of structural integrity of the hatch.... can leave "weird" way in which pieces fall.

GOOD LUCK in how you proceed!

my father had a rear side window in his caravan blow out yrs ago he thought someone had shot it with a bb gun,but the glas place said when a window is under stress and explodes  the glass will always be thrown outwards unlike when hit from something then it goes inward as well,,,,LOL i have no idea on that but that is what he was told and it made him feel better that it wasnt done on purpose

• 2 weeks later...

If the weather ever warms up, I'm going to give glass replacement a try.  The plan is to pick up window from a local salvage yard and give it a go.   Chris Fixx has a good video on youtube with the process.  Order placed with Amazon for the supplies.

The shattered window was layered with plastic packing tape on both sides to keep it together and in place until the replacement.  Not pretty, but so far its holding well.

Today feels like the coldest day of winter. 

The salvage yard quoted $100 (privacy tint w/heat), 3M window weld $28, 3M primer $46, and daubers $9.  I've got razor blades, scrapers, and suctions cups.  So far under just under $200.  Local glass repair quoted $415.00 to have it done. 

As the same window was used for many years, my guess is there are many available and if I spent the energy to search further it could be had for less (but I doubt I will). 

With Easter on the horizon, if my make shift laminated window holds up, I'm thinking mid-April .  Hopefully Spring gets here by then.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:14 PM, DodgeaWrench said:

The salvage yard quoted $100 (privacy tint w/heat), 3M window weld $28, 3M primer $46, and daubers $9.  I've got razor blades, scrapers, and suctions cups.  So far under just under $200.  Local glass repair quoted $415.00 to have it done. 

As the same window was used for many years, my guess is there are many available and if I spent the energy to search further it could be had for less (but I doubt I will). 

With Easter on the horizon, if my make shift laminated window holds up, I'm thinking mid-April .  Hopefully Spring gets here by then.

I also prefer to do repairs myself if at all possible, but after attempting to remove the hatch window from a 93 Chrysler T & C, I'd not try it again.  I was using a razor knife, then a serrated knife once I got a bit of clearance, but if the two surfaces touched, it was stuck again.  Then in the process of trying to keep them apart, I pried on it too much, and it shattered.  With a broken one, I'd probably do the clean up myself,  but I wouldn't try to pull one at a salvage, unless someone can tell what the secrete is.  Spray in dish soap?  But then everything is slippery....  (I have replaced a side window in another T & C, a 2000, and removed all of the side glass from that 93 T & C w/o breaking any, but the rear window and the windshield, those came out in pieces.)

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up purchasing the replacement window from Ernies Auto Parts in Harrison Township MI.  They sell recycled parts, are in my neighborhood, and until now I didn't even know they existed.  Friendly, helpful, and same price.  If I have a need, I'd definitely go back.

I agree with Neto, if I had to remove the glass from a u-pull salvage yard, I wouldn't do it.  I'd probably break it too.

The "laminated" shattered window held up, without leaks, for the 6 weeks until the weather warmed up.

Yesterday I took out the old and put in the new.  It wasn't bad at all.  As mentioned earlier, I followed the Chris Fix youtube video step by step, and used the 3m primer and 3m Windo-Weld as in the video.

My only recommendation would be to NOT use 4"+ suction cups from Harbor Freight.  The glass has no flat surface area and the cups were too large to get a secure grip anywhere on the curved glass surface.

The only thing left to do is snap the interior tailgate panels back in.  I'll wait a week or so to check for leaks first.  ...and the rear wiper.

Shattered window held in place with packing tape (both sides)

IMG_2079.JPG.55447ae2517c5e50149de14d413e673e.JPG

Cleaned up and prepped replacement glass

VNOE1579.thumb.JPG.4b3031f047dfca54574c138eed676a74.JPG

Broken window removed

IMG_2102.JPG.b85a8501f19c04cb8cd3220234f87860.JPG

Tailgate prepped, ready for 3M primer and 3M Windo-Weld

DAFE0820.thumb.JPG.1bce9ae6ec5d1b257f406c0509c44b7c.JPG

Replacement window set in place

IMG_2106.thumb.JPG.8082e077d9186fce00b2d0dfa273a544.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG.c53a15c8e4c40f49b061f99c8abcd8f1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 10:34 PM, DodgeaWrench said:

I ended up purchasing the replacement window from Ernies Auto Parts in Harrison Township MI.  They sell recycled parts, are in my neighborhood, and until now I didn't even know they existed.  Friendly, helpful, and same price.  If I have a need, I'd definitely go back.

I agree with Neto, if I had to remove the glass from a u-pull salvage yard, I wouldn't do it.  I'd probably break it too.

The "laminated" shattered window held up, without leaks, for the 6 weeks until the weather warmed up.

Yesterday I took out the old and put in the new.  It wasn't bad at all.  As mentioned earlier, I followed the Chris Fix youtube video step by step, and used the 3m primer and 3m Windo-Weld as in the video.

My only recommendation would be to NOT use 4"+ suction cups from Harbor Freight.  The glass has no flat surface area and the cups were too large to get a secure grip anywhere on the curved glass surface.

The only thing left to do is snap the interior tailgate panels back in.  I'll wait a week or so to check for leaks first.  ...and the rear wiper.

Shattered window held in place with packing tape (both sides)

Cleaned up and prepped replacement glass

Broken window removed

IMG_2102.JPG.b85a8501f19c04cb8cd3220234f87860.JPG

Tailgate prepped, ready for 3M primer and 3M Windo-Weld

DAFE0820.thumb.JPG.1bce9ae6ec5d1b257f406c0509c44b7c.JPG

Replacement window set in place

What did you use to clean up the old "glue"?

Its been a couple of weeks...  The glass has stayed in :drool:and no leaks.  I snapped the interior tailgate trim panels back in, put the wiper back on.  I guess the next test will be next winter with ice and snow. 

As I had used packing tape to hold the shattered window together until it could be replaced, there was a lot of tape residue that needed to be removed.  I wiped that off with WD-40 and then threw on a quick coat of wax on the tailgate.

I'm calling this one complete.

This wasn't that difficult and if you are considering doing this yourself, I can easily recommend it.  I did it alone, but an extra set of hands to help lay the replacement window in would be very helpful.

"What did you use to clean up the old "glue"?" 

On the replacement, from a salvage yard window, lightly wetting the window with soapy water, I used a razor blade to scape all the old adhesive off, down to the glass.  On the tailgate, it is recommended to leave thin layer of the old adhesive in place.  (It is a very good surface to bond to, and if it were to be scrapped off completely, that would greatly increase the likelihood on scratching the paint/rust.)  I didn't measure, but lets just say the old adhesive on the tailgate after broken glass removal was 1/2" high.  Using a razor blade, I sliced it down to 1/16"-ish high, being careful not to gouge or remove in entirely.  That last picture, before the glass was installed is the 'old' adhesive strip that was cut down.  A razor blade slides through the old adhesive like butter.

Following is the video I found most informative.

9 hours ago, DodgeaWrench said:

"What did you use to clean up the old "glue"?" 

On the replacement, from a salvage yard window, lightly wetting the window with soapy water, I used a razor blade to scape all the old adhesive off, down to the glass.  On the tailgate, it is recommended to leave thin layer of the old adhesive in place.  (It is a very good surface to bond to, and if it were to be scrapped off completely, that would greatly increase the likelihood on scratching the paint/rust.)  I didn't measure, but lets just say the old adhesive on the tailgate after broken glass removal was 1/2" high.  Using a razor blade, I sliced it down to 1/16"-ish high, being careful not to gouge or remove in entirely.  That last picture, before the glass was installed is the 'old' adhesive strip that was cut down.  A razor blade slides through the old adhesive like butter.

That is interesting to know.  The glue/adhesive on the one I tried to clean off (93 Chrysler T & C - 2nd Gen) was not like that.  It held onto the razor knife blade - too sticky still.  Maybe if I had tried to do it when it was really cold?  I don't know, but it was really a chore getting it off.