New to Forum from Surrey Canada

Gary Erwin

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum but have owned my 2016 DodgeJourney R/T since new. The current problem is a very common Oil Cooler Leak which Dodge has not issued a recall for or addressed. Plastic parts attached to the engine which give up with tempature changes and can cause an oil leak so extreme to cause engine failure while driving in traffic. I caught mine oil leak which went from a small drip to light flow of oil within weeks but not all drivers are MECHANICALLY INCLINED or are more observant when it comes to their vehicles issues. Dodge/Mopar has stopped selling the plastic oil cooler OEM parts because the recognized the issue and I am now waiting to hear from White Rock Dodge in Surrey, B.C. Canada as to how much the repair will cost and if they are using the  Engine Oil Cooler Oil Filter Housing Adapter Assembly W/Sensor Gaskets Aluminum Kit For Chrysler 200, 300, Dodge Charger Challenger Journey Wrangler Ram 3.6L V6 which are for sale on Amazon? So for now my Dodge is parked making no Journeys and were down to one car, thankfully I am Retired and my 2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertable which has been more reliable is still running strong and more comfortable in my opion. All the issuse the Dodge Journey has had over the past 7 years whether cover by warrenty or not has put me off of purchasing any new dodge / jeep vehicles in the future.  

i just had my 2014 oil cooler replaced last week at thye dodge dealership here in al. i have 138 k on it as well and like you a person could eat off my engine its that clean, i noticed it at my last oil change but just kept a close eye on it till i decided at this oil change to have it fixed, i was holding off due to my ABS module that went bad about 6 months ago and that part is on backorder as well, since i had the max mopar warranty it was covered with just a 100,ded but was hoping to get them both dones under the same ded but decided i didnt want to chance it on the oil leak   the OEM oil cooler thur the dodge place is around 245 i believe and plus the install which John said around 2 hrs labor... BUT the part here in the U.S. is still available in stock, you might want to check on ordering one thur the U.S. dodge dealership and has been mentioned that t it would be a great time to replace the plugs as well since they should be done around the 100 k mark         here is some from mopar discounted parts online........$174.plus tax and shipping    

Engine Oil Filter Housing - Mopar (68596317AA)

2014-2022 Mopar

• Engine Oil Filter Housing - Mopar (68596317AA)
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Engine Oil Filter Housing - Mopar (68596317AA)

• MSRP:$250.00
  • Discount:$76.00 (30.4% off)
  • Sale Price:$174.00
Mopar Parts

This is the cooler I found on Amazon.ca and it comes from the USA sold by Fenghu. Item is:  926-959 Engine Oil Cooler Oil Filter Housing Adapter Assembly W/Sensor Gaskets Aluminum Kit For Chrysler 200 300, Dodge Charger Challenger Journey Wrangler Ram 3.6L V6, 926-876 68105583AF 5184294AE

oil cooler.jpg

oc2.jpg

You  have two options for fixing oil filter/cooler assembly. Another plastic one that are readily available or one made of aluminum like you have in the picture. Which are harder to come by. If it’s warranty dealer, calls the shots, I would expect another plastic unit. Yours lasted seven years before failure, if it’s a free fix I would let them do it.

Need to be aware there are two different oil filters on the 3.6 engine. One was used from 2011-2013 and the other from 2014-2020.  Wrong filter could damage housing, not interchangeable. Your China site is showing wrong info. 

6F3F9952-0966-4CFF-B400-FB39DE5DC71B.jpeg.d94fcb1a28a5dc0249cc6a6033133616.jpeg

32DC0980-3ACB-45F2-BF4D-D1C08378EC72.jpeg.28dc1185819c58507e8c9c370ff368bf.jpeg

These guys are one of the better on line sites, very reasonable shipping, fast delivery.  The alum units are out of stock right now. People must prefer them.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2016,journey,3.6l+v6,3353540,engine,oil+filter+housing,12429

Edited by John/Horace

Correct my 13 uses the first filter type and it was considerably cheaper OEM than the newer version so I replaced mine with the original OEM that lasted 10 yrs 172000 miles before leaking as the seals dry out or crack or whatever happens. There was no leaking anywhere else as I change my oil and made sure not to use gorilla force to tighten the filter housing

Hi again, 

I finaly got the break down from the Dealer and as the vehicle is no longer under any warranty I need to pay out of pocket. They will be using the same type of plastic Mopar Cooler assembly and the Dealer says that their is no choice but to replace the whole unit.

Break down of the cost is as follows:   3 hours of Labour $510.00

Parts $ 669.00

Sub   Total  $ 1,179.00

Enviromental fee $ 6.95

Shop fee $ 70.00

Taxes $150.71

Total $ 1,406.66

On top of it because they are so busy I have a week to wait before the Dealer can fix my car. Arg!

Doesn’t look like they are doing you any favours , would be sending it some where else.  Any decent mechanic can do this repair.

Dorman, a fairly big  US aftermarket automotive parts company makes an aluminum version. Some people on this site have had them installed with good results.  If an original oem part fails prematurely, I will only use another one if part design has changed, or if I’m getting it at a significant discount. But that’s just me.